A week with the Epic, what have I learned: A users review

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I purchased an Epic from a local Sprint store on Aug 31 to try this phone. I am an Evo owner since the original release day and have been very pleased with it and Android in general. Have been an early adopter of the best and greatest more than once and I am keenly familiar with the pains of adopting a new device at the time of original release. To all of you findings all sorts of ?bugs? with dismay, this is the norm. However, you can take comfort in the fact that most usually get addressed by the company with updates, and others by the brilliant hacker community on this and sister forums.

Since I own an Evo and this is my only Android device, many of my comments will reflect a comparison of similar features and how they operate on each device. This comparison seems appropriate as these are the only high end Android phones on the Sprint network to date with similar capabilities. Most of this info can be found scattered on the forum so I will attempt to summarize it here, in one place; hope this will help those of you still on the fence as to which device you should get.

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:
1. Personally I really like the size and shape of the Epic above the Evo, to me looks more refined and phone-like. The Epic feels nice and solid, even with a slider keyboard, feels slightly lighter than the Evo. The power button location takes some time to get used to, I find myself hitting the volume keys often enough to be annoying. The power button, in my opinion, is a little small making it sometimes difficult to hit, but is a matter of adjusting.

2. The battery cover and SD card placement are quite nice. I have problems with the Evo battery cover feeling flimsy and ill-fitting at times, not so with the Epic, it snaps in with ease. The back cover is somewhat rubberized which keeps finger prints at bay and provides better gripping. The Evo?s back cover is also good but a bit smoother (read slippery).

3. One gripe abut the Evo?s design was the camera lens, it protrudes from the cover surface making the lens vulnerable to scratching when laid face up, the Epic?s seems to be a little more recessed affording some protection. Both phones offer an LED flash, the Epic has one, the Evo two. The Evo?s LED can be controlled with most flashlight apps, but the Epic is not.

4. Talking about the camera, if you are into phone photography you will be pleased to learn the Epic has a dedicated camera button on the lower right side that makes using this feature easier. The Evo lacks any dedicated hardware button for this. Some folks have described an unusual behavior of the camera app; while on the camera mode the power button does not turn the phone off, just locks the app keeping you from accidentally snapping away. To turn off the phone you first need to terminate the camera app. Feature or bug, don?t know yet.

NOTE: Had a chance to briefly compare the camera software between the two, the Epic seems to offer more in-phone choices to tailor your shots better. I routinely don?t use a phone camera so I can not tell you much about the image quality of one versus the other, one thing to consider is that for a given sensor size, increasing the pixel count beyond a certain limit increases noise oftentimes negating the benefits of higher resolution.

5. The screen is certainly smaller than the Evo?s and it shows on side to comparison; and yes, 0.3? do make a difference. Using a virtual keyboard on the Evo allows for better accuracy. But the Epic also has a physical keyboard that is both spacious and pleasant to use. The keyboard being a slider provides for some minor wiggle, giving the Evo a more robust feeling.

6. The slightly smaller screen of the Epic increases the fine detail resolution. In regards to image color, the SAMOLED screen is darker and offers deeper color saturation and contrast than the Evo, but both screens are very pleasant. When tested on sunlight, both using the automatic brightness adjustments, the Evo?s is a somewhat more readable on open sunlight and shade than the Epic, nonetheless the latter is still plenty readable under those harsh conditions so this should not be a concern. On a personal note, I think the Epic should have included a retractable stand as the Evo for video playing.

7. As far as telephone functions, the Epic so far sounds clear and loud; I have not experienced any problems with call quality with either one. The loudspeaker of the Epic is LOUD, earpiece volume is certainly adequate (I am a little hard of hearing). The phone app is virtual as the Evo?s and functional. Bluetooth operation with the Epic has been hit/miss sometimes, usually connects well to most devices but very seldom it fails and the connection has to be made manually. On two occasions I had to un-pair with my car and re-pair again for it to work. My experience with the Evo Bluetooth performance has been nothing but solid.

8. Wifi on the Epic really puts my Evo to shame. Tested them side by side using Wifi Analyzer, both on my home and office network. The Epic consistently pulled twice or more the signal strength of the Evo on every location tested. The only time the Evo came close in signal strength was when both were within three feet of the transmitter. Running programs through wifi (Pandora, RadioOne) the Evo looses reception where the Epic is strong. No contest here.

9. GPS on my Evo is fast and accurate. The one on the Epic is certainly improved from the others in the Galaxy family and is quite appropriate for street navigation with Google maps and the like. However, there are reports about lack of accuracy and potential bugs with the GPS cache that are still being investigated.

10. 3G signal on the Evo seems stronger than my Epic, I have noticed several instances where I get network timeout errors when browsing that I never get with the Evo. I have no 4G signal on my area, but reports from other people suggests the opposite behavior for 4G, the Epic?s radio seems better.

11. In terms of overall performance and ?snappiness? the Epic feels great, there is no lag flipping screens, scrolling and opening apps is reasonably quick. It hangs occasionally when awaken during background syncing, but usually lasts a few seconds and starts responding; this I don?t see on the Evo. Interestingly, when I placed the browsers side by side and turned on wifi, the Epic ?outloaded? the Evo every single time, likely related to the better wifi performance. While on 3G, the opposite was true (in all fairness the Evo has Froyo which makes the browser faster so this will surely change when the Epic gets Android 2.2). A minor issue are the capacitive buttons, as compared to the Evo?s they are a less sensitive requiring a firmer press ~ not a biggie but takes some time to get used to.

12. In terms of bundled software the Epic has some nice goodies over the Evo. It has dedicated toggles for the radios built-in the notification drawer ~ very neat and useful. It comes pre-loaded with a full featured document editor (ThinkFree Office) that not only reads but also edits and creates new documents (that costs about $20 in software to provide this functionality on the Evo). It also includes ?My Files?, a built-in SD card file utility, is nice and capable for basic file management. Also has a shortcut to the built-in task manager that can be accessed from the task switcher (press-hold home button), it allows you to see/termnate running programs, nice touch. In regards to widgets, the Epic is certainly spartan, and the widgets don?t seem as refined as those found on the Evo ? however this is more a matter of taste.

13. The version of TouchWiz on the Epic is different than the other Galaxy phones and lacks on some GUI functionality. On the Epic you can not rearrange or delete home screens, or change the apps on the fixed launcher at the bottom of the screen as seen on other Galaxy phones.

14. In terms of internal memory the Epic wins. I have exactly the same number of apps installed on both and same capacity SD cards and the only widget running on both is the Beautiful clock/weather widget.

Evo:
Internal memory ? max capacity 427.62MB / free 202.68MB / used 224.94MB
SD Card ? max capacity 15284MB / free 6249.37MB

Epic:
Internal memory ? max capacity 498.38MB / free 337.45MB / used 160.93MB
SD Card ? max capacity 15082MB / free 9933.06MB

The Evo comes with an 8GB SD card, the Epic with a 16GB.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Continuation...

PROBLEMS I HAVE FOUND WITH THE EPIC:
1. Battery life for some is poor, for others (myself) is not too bad. The battery life on my Epic as compared to my Evo is surprisingly worse, not by much. I get between 7-8 hr on a single overnight charge, where I get around 10 on my Evo. Have noticed on my Epic that no matter how long I keep the phone on the charger or if I ?bump? charge like I do with the Evo, don?t seem to get anything over 95% charge where I can get the Evo to 100%. I suspect this is caused by the internal battery charging circuit limiting the total charge to maximize the longevity of the battery. The battery also takes a awhile longer to get a full charge.

2. On a related issue, some have also found the radio on the Epic seems to spend a great deal of time ?out of signal? as reported on the battery stat page. Some have suggested the radio firmware may be hunting for a GSM signal while on a CDMA network (perhaps some left over code from the GSM galaxy line?), causing battery to run out quicker. Appears the percentage of time out of signal inversely correlate with battery life; the higher this number, the shorter your battery will last. Resetting the radio by toggling airplane mode on-off seems to temporarily correct this for most people.

3. If you like to listen to music over a wired headset (a la iPod) you are not going to like this. So far myself and others have not been able to find a headset that allows for play/pause and track skip functionality as found on every other device. When you press the button on the headset it activates the phone app, press twice and it dials the last number. I have also found a couple of my headsets (Sony) won?t even function to make calls as the in-line mic is muted and can?t be made to work. Different from the Evo, the built-in player has no controls on the lock screen, so if you use it, you have to wake the phone, unlock it and then pause/stop or skip the track on the app or widget. This also happens with other apps such as Pandora. Fortunately, BT headsets offer complete functionality here.

4. Talking about entertainment, the Epic?s screen begs to be used for video or movies. The Epic comes with a built-in video player as expected but it has a twist. Appears to be somehow bundled inside the Gallery app, as such it can not be used as a standalone player (there is no icon to be selected on the app drawer) and when video is paused to attend another task, there is no known way to return to the movie at the place where you left. You can return to the Gallery and select the video, but it will start playing at the beginning.

5. There are some users reporting the screen can not be awaken to terminate a call when the phone is on a car charger. They report having to reboot to fix the issue. Personally I have not experienced this on my phone, so I will not comment on this one.

6. Users have also reported this phone will not transfer calls to Bluetooth when the 3.5mm port is in use to provide audio to the car music system. In order to take the call, the line has to be physically unplugged from the output jack every time. There is no known setting to alter this behavior.

7. This phone comes equipped with two virtual keyboards (android and swipe) plus a physical one. None of the three keyboards seem to offer native spell checking functionality as in other phones. I have installed Swiftkey beta on mine (I use it on the Evo) and it provides a work-around solution to this issue.

8. The calendar app defaults to the internal calendar rather than google. Even if you uncheck the internal calendar on the setup menu, still all new entries continue to default to it. In order to have your calendar entries go to google and sync, you have to manually select google on each new entry you make on this phone.

And there you have it, my first impressions after a week with the Epic. Hope you find this helpful if you are still undecided.

quibbs

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Very well written post. Most, if not all your point are spot on imho.

I am coming off of a iPhone 3g and trying to decide if I want to keep the Epic or keep the iPhone and upgrade to a 4g. The phone is for work and misc.

My thoughts on the Epic as compared to my iPhone and general observations:

- iPhone is slimmer and easier to hold for me and fits in my pants pocket better. It is half the size of the Epic after all.

With the Epic, when in a shirt or pants pocket, I seem to open programs by accident quite frequently and cannot find a way to prevent this.

- when talking on the phone I have to hold the Epic a certain way to find the speaker sweet spot or else it's hard to hear who I am talking to. It's not a huge issue but it is there for me.

- the transfer issue (via bluetooth) for calls when using the 3.5 jack is a big issue for me. Not having this feature is a real let down.

- Not being able to use a wired headset and have the play/pause feature is yet another major disappointment.

- Battery life. Even though I knew what I was getting myself into, it's hard going from never having to think about it to having to turn off things and kill task to optimize use time.

There is a lot to love about the Epic. The screen is great and the OS is very open as compared to Apple's offerings. The level of customization is great. There lot's to explore and the community is great.

I'm tired of using the iPhone (and at&t) and I want to keep my Epic. However, as I stated above, there are a couple of areas where I am losing features that I do not know if I can afford to lose. I have roughly two weeks to decide if I want to upgrade to the iPhone 4 or keep the Epic. Imho, the iPhone just works (antenna issue and all). But I am so bored of the Apple OS and the service. I really like the look and feel of the droid devices and want to stay.

Frustrating.