Epic & Painfully Slow Charging

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
3 days into the Evo switching, I'm noticing a couple reg flags with this device. The one that alarms me is that my battery is charging at a snail pace. I plugged my phone into the wall 4 hours ago and it's now at 39%, this is an odd one to me. Anyone else experiencing this?!?!?!

Monsterr

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is experiencing this with the epic..

Actually no they aren't.

The charger is a very low wattage charge, BUT my first epic charged at this slow rate.

I exchanged it for another, and my Epic charges MUCH faster.

15%-100% in less than 4 hours.

I say you should switch it for another Epic at your store!

ddoublep

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've found that mine charges more rapidly if it's plugged into the wall. It definitely charges more slowly than my iPhone 3G, but I wouldn't consider it painfully slow.

Last edited:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If mines plugged into the computer using the data cable on the phone is on, I get about 1% per minute.
then your indicator is inn accurate. plugged into computer you should get 500ma minus current used by phone. say at idle you are drawing 40 ma that is 460 to charge 1500 or about 3 hours and 15 minutes or about .5% per minute maximum.

My Epic wall charger is charger is testing out at 690MA (vs. the 1000 to 1200 ma of my other micro usb smart-phone chargers around the house). depending on what is on, the phone the Epic is going to charge at a little better than 1/2 the speed with that .7 amp charger.

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
ok so does anyone have the actual average charge time?
This is my second evo and the charging seems to be slower. i recall with my first one, it would charge maybe in about 2 1/2 hours or max at 3. this one seems to be taking longer. i'd hate to swap out the phone as everything else works perfectly.

thanks,
B

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I started this thread because I really thought this was a defect in just my device, glad to see I am not alone. I took it to a service center today, waited my turn for 2 hrs in the service bay and they in fact deemed it defective. However, sneaky as my store is, would not swap it out because I should be under a 30day return and since it was not purchased from Sprint, would not service my phone. Ya I bought it new off a craigslist reseller but I have also paid my $7 TEP for the last 4 years to cover me in just this case and have never had to use it. I feel a bit slighted at this point. They told me they couldn't do anything for me so I guess I am just waiting with my painfully charging phone until 30 days from launch. FAIL!

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
this is what i've done as of this am:
i left the phone unplugged overnight, when i woke this am, it was at 1% and the phone shut itself down after a few mins later.

I plugged the phone in, turned it on, and took readings at various intervals
plugged in time %charged
32mins 11%
1hour 16 mins 39%
2 hours 10 mins 65%
2 hours 42 mins 80%
3 hours 12 mins 92%
3 hours 35 mins 100%

no prompt to unplug the phone.

manufacture date for this battery:

taking the battery out, putting it back in to see if this helps with a more accurate reading.

battery minder states: 97%
Spare Parts: 100%

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It's all due to the fact that the charger is low amperage while the battery is not.... Those of you coming from the Pre to the Epic (me included...) Pre's battery was 1150 maH and the charger was a 1a charger, Epic's is a 1500maH battery with a .7a charger. Going to take significantly longer...
As for using a higher output charger to decrease the charge time... we need a battery guy to weigh in on that!

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine charges fine with an lg lotus wall charger, pre charger and the standard. I don't notice any difference in time to get to full with any of them. I have noticed that the tool bar battery icon is very misleading. If I didn't already have my screens full I would use a widget on each screen and not look at the standard icon.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX