Did you test your upload speed on 3g?

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It would be interesting to hear from other chicago-based epic users to see if they aren't capped either

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe sprint is trying to throttle the upload to allow more download? Cable companies who use copper often do this. Comcast for example gives me 15mbps down, but only 5mbps up. If this is the case, I'm very happy to sacrifice upload.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
here are my results from at home.
I can only say that is a serious outlier. we have about 100 people testing on various forums and you are one pulling triple what everyone else is. it isn't 75% with under 150k, it is everyone but you? wow.

I I never noticed an issue until I decided to speed test my epic after reading about the "cap". I was thoroughly disappointed (even though I still noticed no difference) and then I came to my senses and tested it against other evdo rev a devices. Then all was well as I noticed no difference in speed or usability, and until it does effect my usability it wont be of much concern to me.
Respectfully I think most of us njoting this early found fring and Qik not working on Epic due to upload caps on Epic, especially those of us coming form or owning Evo at the same time. We have both devices and there is a eyr noticeable difference not only on video chat, but other problems with Epic such as sending video files.

I think whether you notice it and it harms you has to do with how much you send, but sending data, and larger data files, and live data dependent on speed, is a growing application flied in smartphones. So the upload bug/cap is bound to cause more problems for more users over the life of the phone. Don't forget this phone has a nice video camera, and argument over hdmi/dnla aside, much of the transfer of those files will be uploads over the data connection.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I can only say that is a serious outlier. we have about 100 people testing on various forums and you are one pulling triple what everyone else is. it isn't 75% with under 150k, it is everyone but you? wow.

Respectfully I think most of us njoting this early found fring and Qik not working on Epic due to upload caps on Epic, especially those of us coming form or owning Evo at the same time. We have both devices and there is a eyr noticeable difference not only on video chat, but other problems with Epic such as sending video files.

I think whether you notice it and it harms you has to do with how much you send, but sending data, and larger data files, and live data dependent on speed, is a growing application flied in smartphones. So the upload bug/cap is bound to cause more problems for more users over the life of the phone. Don't forget this phone has a nice video camera, and argument over hdmi/dnla aside, much of the transfer of those files will be uploads over the data connection.

happasaiyan - Could you verify you are not on WIFI? I've read many threads on various forums and can't find another person who doesn't have the cap.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
The linked image shows the cell radio icon next to his speeds. So it is not wifi.

Duh...Just pulled up the pic again. I have no idea then. I hope this is fixed before my 30 days are up. I will be returning my phone for an Evo if not.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
am i really the ONLY one that can get more than 150kbps upload? NO ONE else? has anyone else in chicago/chicagoland area run this test?

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The linked image shows the cell radio icon next to his speeds. So it is not wifi.

In all respect it doesn't. I could post wifi results and it would look exactly like that. while that results log is on screen for your screen shot you can call up wifi and make it look like wifi, you can call up 4g and make it look like 4g and you can call up 3g for a 4g test and make it look like 3g. you can also delete individual results from the log

You literally can do this test on 4G and post the screen shot we see.

I am not saying that is what was done, but rather that it is easy.

I should also not that sprint support technicians, including the device team itself is not getting over 150 up on 3g themselves.

Again I am not accusing anyone of deliberately doing anything, I will say it ieasy to mistaken post 45g or wifi results as 3g, and that this one tester has severe outlier results. I know people on this board since treocentral. there are people I know who have been around for years. none of us, anywhere with multiple tests is getting over 150 up.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
am i really the ONLY one that can get more than 150kbps upload? NO ONE else? has anyone else in chicago/chicagoland area run this test?

Yes, Sprint's own top technicians can't get over 150 up on 3g. On boards it looks like about 100 people have tested and no one has posted speed test screen shot over 150 up on 3g.of

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Sprint's own top technicians can't get over 150 up on 3g. On boards it looks like about 100 people have tested and no one has posted speed test screen shot over 150 up on 3g.of

Have you heard if there is a "fix" for this coming soon?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is an Epic problem, but a Sprint network problem. However, why would the EVO not be capped then? Maybe it is an Epic problem :/

If other phones on the same network are not having this upload limitation, it suggests to me this could be a problem with the Epic. Let's hope is a radio firmware issue that can be addressed with an update.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
If other phones on the same network are not having this upload limitation, it suggests to me this could be a problem with the Epic. Let's hope is a radio firmware issue that can be addressed with an update.

If it was the Evo or earlier phone with the upload cap, I would agree. But since it's the epic (newest phone), I'm hoping this cap isn't for the Epic and all future phones.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
In all respect it doesn't. I could post wifi results and it would look exactly like that. while that results log is on screen for your screen shot you can call up wifi and make it look like wifi, you can call up 4g and make it look like 4g and you can call up 3g for a 4g test and make it look like 3g. you can also delete individual results from the log

You literally can do this test on 4G and post the screen shot we see.

I am not saying that is what was done, but rather that it is easy.

I should also not that sprint support technicians, including the device team itself is not getting over 150 up on 3g themselves.

Again I am not accusing anyone of deliberately doing anything, I will say it ieasy to mistaken post 45g or wifi results as 3g, and that this one tester has severe outlier results. I know people on this board since treocentral. there are people I know who have been around for years. none of us, anywhere with multiple tests is getting over 150 up.

I'm just going off experience. When I use the speedtest app using wifi, I get the wifi icon (one that shows on the status bar when you turn on the wifi radio), when I test using 3g or 4g I get the cell radio icon on the results page.

But I do know that the cell icon looks the same for 3g and 4g.

snap20100915_183312.png

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
One thing I have noticed on this and I'm not sure it means anything because it could just be a glitch with the speedtest app. But when I first start my upload phase of the test while on 3g it will flash like 200kb for a second then go down to the 150kb for the end result. It almost appears as we could get higher, but when sprint realizes we are uploading something big they put the brakes on the speed kind of like a bandwidth limiter or something.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
One thing I have noticed on this and I'm not sure it means anything because it could just be a glitch with the speedtest app. But when I first start my upload phase of the test while on 3g it will flash like 200kb for a second then go down to the 150kb for the end result. It almost appears as we could get higher, but when sprint realizes we are uploading something big they put the brakes on the speed kind of like a bandwidth limiter or something.

Yup, same thing happens to me. Always spikes higher than down to 150. :mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000