Leaving phone on charge all night

Jeff W

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Basically I charge my phone every night around 8 or 9 PM, it's usually charged completely by midnight or so when I take it off the charge. Problem is by the time I wake up the next morning the battery will be down a good quarter doing nothing but sitting idle. Does anyone know if the phone stops charging once the notification comes up saying it's done, and if not is there any harm to leaving it on the charge until morning?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Basically I charge my phone every night around 8 or 9 PM, it's usually charged completely by midnight or so when I take it off the charge. Problem is by the time I wake up the next morning the battery will be down a good quarter doing nothing but sitting idle. Does anyone know if the phone stops charging once the notification comes up saying it's done, and if not is there any harm to leaving it on the charge until morning?

It looks like there might be a bug with the phone in standby where it draws too much power. What are you running in the background?

Jeff W

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean stuff I can kill with the task manager? That's zero, I make sure there's nothing left running before I go to sleep.

sirricky85

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
gps, bluetooth, 4g? i notice that i save more battery running wifi than using the data broadband. maybe you should switch to wifi during after the charge. i don't see no harm in leaving the charger in while the phone is completely charge beside only if the battery starts warming up. usually ion battery is more controlled than nickel based battery which are known to really have an overcharge problem.

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've found that best results are when I turn my phone off and then plug in the cable to charge. I do this before I go to bed. Then when I wake up about 30 mins before I head out the door I unplug my charging cable and plug it back in. Usually I get a red light showing charging for a few minutes before it turns blue and the battery icon shows 100%. Then I turn the phone on for the day. Seems to guarantee that I'll have a fully charged battery. Funny thing is that the battery widget I put on my homescreen always shows 95 or 96% when the phone is up and running. Might just be the widget I'm using, which doesn't seem to register battery power levels properly.

drfrank

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to unplug your phone at night. It's the discharge/recharge cycling that wears out Li batteries. If you're going to unplug it, turn it off.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I use a lamp timer so it charges 4am to 7 am, and I'm at 100% when I wake up!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk