Vanilla Android on Epic

fortemusic

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been using my Vanilla for the last couple of weeks on my Epic and it just seems faster, more reliable and I don't have to deal with the fixed menu icons that you can't customize. It does only give you three widget screens but who really needs more than than?!?!

If you haven't checked it out, it's worth it. Yes you can find these instructions on another thread but I really do enjoy not having to deal with Touchwiz.

Instructions:

1. Head over to the Settings application. (Press ?Menu? button, Click ?Settings?)
2. Scroll down and click ?Applications?
3. Click on the ?Manage Applications? button
4. Press the ?Menu? button, click ?Filter?
5. Press ?All?
6. Scroll almost all the way down to ?TwLauncher? and click it
7. Under ?Launch by default? press ?Clear defaults?
8. Now, click your Home button
9. Choosing ?Home? instead of ?TwLauncher? will bring you to the Vanilla Android launcher and homescreens. You can click on ?Use by default for this action.?

To switch back, perform the same operation, but clear the defaults for the ?Home? application. Now choose ?TwLauncher? as your default home-button launcher.

bjb_nyj101

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Using the TWlauncher certainly isn't "vanilla" android. It just a different home launcher.

TouchWiz has changed:

*the dialer
*the email client
*the messaging app
*contacts app
*calendar
*camera
*music player
*and other miscellaneous things

You can't revert all these things back to stock simply by using twlauncer.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
For once, and perhaps only this once (jk), I will agree with bjb.butler. You CANNOT get rid of TW just by changing the launcher. You'll need an actual ROM, but those aren't quite ready yet for the Epic and who even knows if we'll get a vanilla ROM for the Epic?

bjb_nyj101

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Apparently, this guy will be releasing an epic rom this friday.

It's coming...this Friday! Yes, three days from now will be the grand reveal of my very first rom for any android device. Removing touchwiz, sprint bloatware, and instead providing a root and super fast kernal created by noobnl. Flashable with the newest clockwork recovery build 20, Bub's custm rom will be here ready free to the community for beta tesing free of charge, no donating required (though it would be nice).

[ROM] Bub's **Epic** Custom Rom [Coming this Friday!] Updated 9/14 - xda-developers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante