Sep 16th Update

JojoSteez

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So, I know there is supposed to be an update today that enables media hub and some performance fixes. This morning around 4am an update was pushed to my phone. I installed it but it looks like the installation failed and rebooted my phone again. Everything is still the same and my firmware version is still 2.1-update1 like it was when i got it. Also, media hub still doesn't work.

I thought the forums here and at XDA would be full of people talking about the update but it seems it hasn't been pushed out to anyone yet. I feel like a guinea pig, ha. I tried to update firmware again, but it says i'm up to date. This is weird. I know I got a popup saying an update was available. Phone rebooted into recovery mode and started installing. It then said installation failed and gave me options to reboot, factory wipe, and something else I can't remember. I chose reboot and now I'm back at square one.

Anyone else gotten a push yet? Might have to side load the update when they release it. My phone is rooted with andromeda kernel installed, and I have a different launcher (ADW) but other than that it is stock. I still have root and it seems nothing has changed. Oh well, back to waiting I guess.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading about said update but as of yet I have not received it. I've manually tried to search for it and it says no update available. From what I understand the others that have gotten it had the same issue as you with it failing and what not.

JojoSteez

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been reading about said update but as of yet I have not received it. I've manually tried to search for it and it says no update available. From what I understand the others that have gotten it had the same issue as you with it failing and what not.

Where have you seen others failing? I lurk at a few different android forums but here and XDA mostly. Im wondering if the update wasn't ready and was accidently pushed out this morning to a few devices, me being one of them.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Where have you seen others failing? I lurk at a few different android forums but here and XDA mostly. Im wondering if the update wasn't ready and was accidently pushed out this morning to a few devices, me being one of them.

There was a post in here about it. But there was a more recent post that said it worked as well. So I guess I have no idea what is going on!

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I remember how excited all of us ex-Pre owners would get when there was news of an impending update looming (and PreCentral did an excellent job of covering news about said updates...

With that being said, I can't imagine how excited people are going to get when we hear things like this about looming Epic updates... :cool:

JojoSteez

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I remember how excited all of us ex-Pre owners would get when there was news of an impending update looming (and PreCentral did an excellent job of covering news about said updates...

With that being said, I can't imagine how excited people are going to get when we hear things like this about looming Epic updates... :cool:

I am also an ex-Pre owner and I do remember that vividly, haha.

Well, update: I was trying to use Odin to flash the stock kernel back on and I bricked the phone, haha. It wouldn't boot after trying to flash with Odin. IT was stuck on a screen with a picture of a phone, a computer and a caution sign in between. I looked around and it seems the only option is to flash back to stock. That worked like a charm in Odin...dunno who the stock kernel wouldnt flash...oh well. So now everything works again. Took like 5 min to flash and reboot, then another 20 to put it all back like I had it. ADW, Dropbox, and Appbrain are my friends, ha.

Anyway, with the stock kernel the update pushed again and installed fine. I have access to media hub now and whatever else was pushed with this update. It seems the update didn't like the kernel. But all is good now, I just have to root again. I think I'm gonna leave the stock kernel this time though.

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine asked me to install it - MR2 DI07 System Update

I didn't install it yet, I'm new to Android so I was waiting until I read up a little more on updates (i.e. will I need to apply root again after I update, etc)

FWIW, it was a 23.7 meg download and it did state that it was for the Media Hub and several other performance updates.

Last edited:

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good question... are you guys who received the update getting a notification or are you manually checking for it by doing the following FTFA... (thanks Atlienzz)

Update your software

To update your Samsung Epic 4G over the air:

Go to the Home screen
Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates > Update Android
Your phone will automatically download and install any available updates; you may need to power your phone off and back on to complete the software upgrade

Bowa11

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Good question... are you guys who received the update getting a notification or are you manually checking for it by doing the following FTFA... (thanks Atlienzz)

Update your software

To update your Samsung Epic 4G over the air:

Go to the Home screen
Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates > Update Android
Your phone will automatically download and install any available updates; you may need to power your phone off and back on to complete the software upgrade

when I do that it still says im all updated, but im still on the older version...what gives

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's what's new:

Optimized, HotSpot in 3G idle mode to help conserve battery power
Optimized, Applied Qualcomm patch for performance enhancement
Added, Media Hub
Modified, WiMAX exit delay
Modified, UI "Noisey" One to "Noisy One"
Fixed, 32GB mSD card is not recongized when formatted in device
Fixed, When playing video, the playback is paused if a headset is connected/disconnected
Fixed, Sorry popup when DRM file is selected in the Gallery
Fixed, Hotspot registration/deregistration

Support - Article

Last edited:

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
When I got the OTA for the Evo, I was notified via a popup window that provided some details and offered a choice to accept or decline the download.

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
When I got the OTA for the Evo, I was notified via a popup window that provided some details and offered a choice to accept or decline the download.
That's how it is on my Epic, though it's already downloaded on the phone. Keeps popping up asking me to install, I keep declining until I know if it "breaks" root

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463