1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default Froyo update

Does anyone have a clue as to when we'll be getting the Froyo update??? What changes are you most looking forward to?
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Flash

ROM
    ACS Jelly Bean RC1, Stock

Probably (hopefully) before years end..

I'm stoked for the JIT, and overall faster phone. Chrome to phone and other 2.2 goodies will be awesome too.

"In Soviet Russia, Android roots you!"

I'm here because like you, I have questions that I need answered, and help those like me, with questions of their own.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    -Isaac Newton, Letter to Robert Hooke, February 5, 1675

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

All I care about is:
    1) Storing to SD card..
    2) Real Flash to view web content. ( Hulu ....will it be possible..)
    3) I hope it doesn't break some apps I have installed... Compatibility..

I hope App devs stay on top of their products to support new OS updates..

hello podcatcher App Devs.. are you reading this..

Nothing is more annoying than getting a feature rich update that also Breaks settings and Apps...
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Thanked by:
    bcball 

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

When I got the Froyo update on my Evo I immediately noticed two major changes; the phone became VERY snappy (opening apps, swtching screens, scrolling), and the browser really came to life - page rendering after Froyo is significantly faster on 3G (I don't have 4G here yet) and ever faster on wifi. I can only imagine how much better this phone will get with Froyo, the Epic is already snappy and the browser on wifi is faster than my Evo's.

The other two features that I really like about Froyo are Voice Actions (really cool and useful), and how you can do multiple updates to your apps from the market by just pressing one button. Chrome extensions can be cool to have but I haven't use this enough to say is useful. I haven't moved any apps to the SD card as I still have good internal storage space (don't have that many installed), but is nice to have this option if needed.

Froyo broke a couple of my widgets but those got updated really fast, none of my other apps were affected and by now most major apps have made the upgrades for Froyo.

Quote Originally Posted by addie_goodvibes View Post
    2) Real Flash to view web content. ( Hulu ....will it be possible..)
    almost a definite no to hulu. hulu has been blocking access to just about all non computer devices for years (other than w/ hulu plus on ios now). when new devices show up w/ flash, it typically works or there are simple workarounds to get it to work (ps3, evo w/ flash, etc), but it gets shut down quickly.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Flash and TV out are my only concerns at this time. Since flash comes with 2.2 tv out is really the only thing I am waiting on for this phone.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

I don't know the source, but over on XDA they say an update to Touchwiz 3.0 should be out in a matter of weeks. It would make sense if this was bundled with Froyo.

Also, the Galaxy Tab is on its way. Given that it's running 2.2 and has similar specs to the Epic, I can't imagine it being too difficult to bring over. As far as I can tell, we are looking at a different camera and a 4G radio. Worst case scenario, hackers will bring it for us.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted

froyo hands up

It will be so awesome to have Froyo on one of the best smartphone's in the world which is the (Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G).