New update killed my battery life

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
With the update cell standby was draining the battery but not anymore.

With your prior Epic, did you have the time without signal issue greater than 50% before and after the update while in cell standby? Also with the replacement issue, are you still having the time without signal issue greater than 50% at all while in cell standby?

I ask because I got a replacement Epic and my new one doesn't seem to have this issue as the old one did. I still haven't put the update in but on DG27, my new Epic is night and day difference over the first one in all ways.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I took my Epic to the store at Sprint HQ, since it's only a few blocks from my house. They had none to trade me out. The person in the store called someone in engineering to check on the issue to see if they could wipe the update from my phone. The reply was that they are unaware that the push is causing an issue with battery life, they haven't heard anything about it. I am supposed to take it back Saturday AM to have it inspected by that dept so they can determine the cause, possibly offer a fix, or do an exchange at that time.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
may have found a solution

alright so I was reading on the evo forums and they are having the same problems as us... one thing that I noticed is that my phone is not going into sleep mode since the update. its running 100% of the time just with the screen off.

This seems to be the problem.

On the evo forums they seem to think that the talk app by google is causing it not to sleep along with some other.

Can someone who has not done the update go to menu>applications>running services and let me know what you have running there?

the Talk app is constantly popping up along with the media hub, and amazonMP3. I am hoping that if we can get rid of these that the phone will sleep and it will improve our battery life

SomeAudioGuy

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
alright so I was reading on the evo forums and they are having the same problems as us... one thing that I noticed is that my phone is not going into sleep mode since the update. its running 100% of the time just with the screen off.

On the evo forums they seem to think that the talk app by google is causing it not to sleep along with some other.

Can someone who has not done the update go to menu>applications>running services and let me know what you have running there?

the Talk app is constantly popping up along with the media hub, and amazonMP3. I am hoping that if we can get rid of these that the phone will sleep and it will improve our battery life

This might be it...
I have Talk set NOT to Automatically sign on, but MediaHub is CONSTANTLY starting back up. As most of my battery use is now idle, the no-sleep theory is now top of my list...

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

How can you tell your phone is not going into sleep? I'm interested in this.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

on 1.5, it was easy to figure out. The settings used to display uptime and awake time. if your awake time was equal or only a little lower than the uptime, then the phone wasn't going to sleep. that is no longer displayed in the settings of android since 1.6 or 2.0. When the hero got 2.1, this 100% uptime was hard to determine.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I have an app that I downloaded called battery status.

it has a battery history. and it says time without sleeping 7h 10m 25s ago.

Thats exactally when I unplugged my phone. So this proves that somehow the phone is not going into sleep mode... I can guarantee that everyone else in this thread is experiencing the same thing and is why the battery is draining so fast.

The question is... why the hell is this happening and why won't the phone go into sleep mode?

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Thats exactally when I unplugged my phone. So this proves that somehow the phone is not going into sleep mode... I can guarantee that everyone else in this thread is experiencing the same thing and is why the battery is draining so fast.

The question is... why the hell is this happening and why won't the phone go into sleep mode?

Which one ru using? I see several battery status apps in the market....

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Just downloaded JuiceDefender. Gonna see if it makes ANY difference to battery life...

I was running juice defender before the update and it was working great!... sadly I am currently running juice defender and it does nothing...

This is because the phone won't go into sleep mode.

SomeAudioGuy

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'm getting the sense that will be the case. Still gonna give it a shot, make sure I disable data for the MediaHub, Amazon MP3, and Hotspot apps...

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I might just use odin an reflash the stock software and wait for another update till this gets fixed. That would be the only option. I have also noticed network connection errors since the update that didn't appear before the update. Media hub is great but I use it one percent because of the not so good lineup of movies currently. I still love my Epic though.

SomeAudioGuy

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I might just use odin an reflash the stock software and wait for another update till this gets fixed. That would be the only option. I have also noticed network connection errors since the update that didn't appear before the update. Media hub is great but I use it one percent because of the not so good lineup of movies currently. I still love my Epic though.

I'm such a dork... Didn't even think to back up my phone before I ran the update... live and learn...

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Yea, that's pretty ridiculous. I don't understand why I get 4 hours for 20% battery when I don't even touch the phone for those 4 hours. It just sits for the time and I Come back and I lost 20% battery. Sometime isn't right with that sleep mode or something in the background.

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok well last night I noticed that around 35% battery that the phone would go into sleep mode the issue seems to be the android IQ agent. Because when this goes away the phone will go into sleep mode however upon a full charge this comes back as a running service. If we can figure out how to get rid of this our phones will go into sleep mode.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok well last night I noticed that around 35% battery that the phone would go into sleep mode the issue seems to be the android IQ agent. Because when this goes away the phone will go into sleep mode however upon a full charge this comes back as a running service. If we can figure out how to get rid of this our phones will go into sleep mode.

How are you detecting sleep mode?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC