Battery Life Trickery?

floyd28

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
First, let me say that I am a big believer in the hard reset. My first Epic had the back button issue, battery life was weak, and Touchwiz crashing. July build date. July battery date. But, right before I returned it I had done a hard reset and determined that it seemed to work better. I was getting 13-14 hours out of it. The other issues did not go away. So I returned it for another.

The second Epic, with August build dates by the way, was perfect out of the gate. Everything was good, including battery life. When the media hub update came out it my battery seemed to drop quickly. I use Battery Indicator along with the stock Epic indicator. So, after the media hub update I did a hard reset on things ... my battery life seems to be back to normal. Easily getting full days out of it now ... turn on at 730am ... on the cradle at midnight ... usually anywhere from 30-50% life left. Seriously.

What is strange, the trickery that I just noticed ... is the various indicators. Did you ever look at the "big" battery indicator that pops on the phone after you have turned it off and plugged in? Well the last two days I have noticed that while the Battery Indicator app might say 40% ... and the Epic stock indicator might appear to be around 60% or so ... when I plug it in the charging indicator (when in the off position) starts from about the 20-30% charging position on the graphic.

Basically it seems that the two Samsung indicators are both off from what Battery Indicator application shows. One is about +20% higher and the other about -20% lower. Kind of makes me wonder how much battery life I really have at any given point.

Maybe it is not trickery, but I am surprised at how bad these readings are across three different sources. I have used other Android apps for battery readings and they all seem consistent with the Battery Indicator app.

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
yes, please do post on here. i've been tyring to get more info on how to back up my data (Sms, settings, etc), and whether if doing the hard reset will remove my number from the phone programming. i'd like to avoid going to the sprint store as much as possible as the staff there has royally pissed me off. :)

Does the battery need to be fully charged or can this be done with a half charged battery?
Thanks!
Brian

stovetop

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I for one have terrible. Battery life. Take off the charger at 4:30 and by 11:00 battery. Is dead with moderate. Use. I am thinking of switch to s different phone. My battery. Life is unacceptable.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
You need to download Battery Status Pro or something like it that tells a precise percentage. The battery icon is useless.

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
how do you do a hard reset? and does it erase your data?

If I am not mistaken it does erase your data.

1. turn off phone
2. while holding volume down and camera button press power and hold all 3
3. with the hardware keyboard use the arrows to select the reset option
4. hit the home button below the screen
5. confirm action

Bowa11

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that I restarted the phone, updated the prl and toggled airplane mode on and off and killed the unnecessary services and my phone is running like it did before the update and the battery is working good again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781