Who's planning to exchange their Epic?

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
For those of you who bought an Epic on launch day, the 30-day exchange deadline is approaching fast. Are you thinking about trading it in for something else? Or, are you planning to "stand by your Epic"?

I'm a little on the fence. My observations:
--150Kbps uploads on 3G. If I didn't live in a 4G city, I'd probably trade it in for this issue alone.
--4G is awesome when I can get it. I live "inside the loop" in Houston, so coverage is pretty good around my area. I'll have the chance to test it out in Austin this weekend.
--I've had pretty good luck with the GPS. Sometimes it takes a minute or so to lock on, but when it does it is dead-on accurate. It's in the same league as my Garmin Nuvi 660.
--Crackly earpiece when the volume is high.
--Battery life could use an improvement. It's not as bad as some people report (I use Juice Defender), but I sometimes can't make it through through the day with heavy usage. Usually, I'll keep it charged while I'm working so that I have enough juice when I'm out at night. If I keep the phone, I'll buy an extra battery. Important trick: toggle the airplane mode on, then off after you power on the phone. That will reset the radio, and battery life will improve.
--Physical keyboard is nice to have sometimes, but Swype is so good that I rarely use the physical keyboard. I'll probably skip it on my next phone to save some bulk.

It looks like the Evo has just received some nice updates for its issues; I'm a little tempted. I'll just have to make sure that I don't fall for the "grass is greener on the other side" phenomenon. But -- if I keep the Epic, hopefully the niggling bugs (especially the upload speed, and maybe battery life) are fixed through updates. My decision would be really easy (keep it!) if they'd throw us an update before the 30th.

Reactions: zuma

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
--150Kbps uploads on 3G. If I didn't live in a 4G city, I'd probably trade it in for this issue alone.

It seems, for me, to be only an issue on synthetic benchmarks (speed tests) as I dont have any issues with speed, stability and being able to use video chat. Setting the epic next to another sprint or even VZW phone doing the same task the speeds seem similar (with the VZW phone slightly slower then the sprint phones).

--4G is awesome when I can get it. I live "inside the loop" in Houston, so coverage is pretty good around my area. I'll have the chance to test it out in Austin this weekend.

I tested mine out in baltimore and I love it! I cannot wait until 4g is the standard.

--I've had pretty good luck with the GPS. Sometimes it takes a minute or so to lock on, but when it does it is dead-on accurate. It's in the same league as my Garmin Nuvi 660.

Mine has always worked perfect. I went into google gps and got a signal and I was within like 10 ft of where I actually was. Sprint nav is better for turn by turn IMHO. As far as GPS goes I use sprint nav for turn by turn and google for traffic.

--Crackly earpiece when the volume is high.

I dont have this issue.

--Battery life could use an improvement. It's not as bad as some people report (I use Juice Defender), but I sometimes can't make it through through the day with heavy usage. Usually, I'll keep it charged while I'm working so that I have enough juice when I'm out at night. If I keep the phone, I'll buy an extra battery. Important trick: toggle the airplane mode on, then off after you power on the phone. That will reset the radio, and battery life will improve.

Sadly with phones like the epic battery life will stink until OEMs realize that working on battery technology will be ALOT more fruitful then expanding the CPU technology that is already well over the power use of even the most avid poweruser (myself).

--Physical keyboard is nice to have sometimes, but Swype is so good that I rarely use the physical keyboard. I'll probably skip it on my next phone to save some bulk.

Swype is OK. I have been toying with it alot lately and its pretty nice for those quick messages but still I use the physical keyboard 95% of the time.

Last edited:

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
150 on 3g is killing me, but everything else works like a charm. I live in Miami so hopefully by years end we will have 4G and they fix the 3g issue.

So I will keep mine

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
are you guys not experiencing horrible battery life after the sept 16th update?

Mine was great before but now its horrible... I don't know what to do.

I lose 3-4% per hour with no use and airplane mode on...

its rediculous.

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

its rediculous.

I hate doing this because you lose data, but have you tried a hard reset?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

its rediculous.

Placebo effect? Losing 3-4% per hour means that your phone has enough juice for 25-33hrs. That's pretty nice!

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have to say my Epic has been really good. Outside of the 3g cap I don't have any complaints. Build quality is great, the phone is fast and responsive. The GPS works fine. It finds my location everytime. I'm working out of town right now and had to use google nav. The phone located itself and guided me to where I needed with out problems. It just works every time I pick it up. I have 4g here in Richmond so when I remember too, I flip it on and it works great. I have a another week to decide if I want to return it, but as of right now I don't have a reason to. Just hope a froyo update is here sooner rather than later. Saw that TMobile in UK said their Galaxy S phones should get updated by end of September. Sooo....

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Exchange no. Probably return.

Exchange? I already exchanged the first Epic for another to fix a hardware problem (insensitive Back key.)

The remaining GPS problems are still annoying, but at least there is a workaround for most of them.

But the poor 3G network speeds, coupled with disappointing 4G coverage, are a hard stop. I am probably going to return the phone and cancel the Sprint contract. (I'm a new customer.)

Imtheweezel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious abuot the 30fps cap as well....I wonder if it that brings the EVO up to the EPIC as far as video capabilities. If so, I think it would be a close call...specially because I'm anxiously waiting for froyo while the EVO already has it (and I know the Epic has been out for less than a month and the EVO took longer than a month to get the froyo update). I'm just all in all worried that samsung will not bring the galaxy S line up to speed as well as HTC would.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm a huge Epic supporter- that said- I've pulled quite a list of "desired fixes" and I hate the thought of them perhaps not being addressed. Meanwhile- I returned the EVO at launch for much the same reasons- and now months later most of my gripes may be fixed by this latest update they're scheduled to get. (Really concerned about the 2 zone only multitouch unless you hack though- I feel screen response is a lot better with swype on Epic than on EVO... and if I went back only to see swype suffer - then I'll really regret the loss of the keyboard.)

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Headed to Best Buy now to return my Epic -

I've learned to live with the not so great battery time by using Juice Defender and turning off data while at my computer at work and I can almost get through the day. Yeah, I get a lot of texts during the day!

Love the phone though, but the earpiece is blown or has a defect. It buzzes when volume is above 75% or so and annoys the shiz out of me.

I bought a second battery, that works great and helps a lot.

Upload speeds today went over 150k and I did the texts right next to my coworkers Evo, he got almost the same speeds as I did. The cap is either removed or something because I'm clocking over 150 usually.

I've been afraid to get a new epic for fear of getting a crappy one, but if I do, I'll just take that one back too!

I am using appbrain for apps and mybackup pro for everything else. we'll see if those work for me.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thinking of going back to my Pre.

Things I love:
- Epic's screen and size
- Camera and video
- learned to love the digital keyboard

Things I hate:
- android: notifications, email app(s), feels gimmicky
- $10 monthly fee (and for what really?)
- 3G issues (not just battery), the way it stalls phone when you email pics
- no way to turn off email LED notification

still thinking about it. Pre is hacked to 1Ghz so it's not bad

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thinking of going back to my Pre.

Things I love:
- Epic's screen and size
- Camera and video
- learned to love the digital keyboard

Things I hate:
- android: notifications, email app(s), feels gimmicky
- $10 monthly fee (and for what really?)
- 3G issues (not just battery), the way it stalls phone when you email pics
- no way to turn off email LED notification

still thinking about it. Pre is hacked to 1Ghz so it's not bad

I don't if anyone remembers... 3g was more money a month as well when it first came out.

Jeff W

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I already exchanged mine, for another Epic though. My first one had a lot of slider wobble and on the left side of the screen you could push the glass up and down and watch it move. New one is nice and tight, no screen seperation either, the remaining problems I have can all be solved with software updates so I'm sticking around, besides I already sold my Pre on craigslist.

When I exchanged mine Best Buy refunded the shipping I paid (I bought online) automatically to my BB credit card, I thought that was good of them :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800