RAM Question

Imtheweezel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried searching the forums for this and didn't really found much information. I'm new to android, came from a bb curve 8330 and so far I'm loving it. I wouldn't have been able to do such an easy switch without the help of the forums. They have a ton of great info in here!

Now to much question. I know the Epic has 512 MB RAM out of which we get 325MB for apps. I'm constantly using about 265MB of RAM I guess on background apps and services that are running. If I turn my phone off and then back on it comes down to about 200MB. So how much are you guys using? How much am I supposed to have free, more than 60MB? and if so, how do I free RAM? I tried an app from the market but I didn't really trust it, so any help is appreciated. Thank you.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Dont worry too much, i run around 160-200 normally, with a few apps allowed to run in the background. Its plenty fast enough. You don't need to make too many adjustments.

If you really want you can use a task killer, but letting android take care of it self seems to work fine too.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried searching the forums for this and didn't really found much information. I'm new to android, came from a bb curve 8330 and so far I'm loving it. I wouldn't have been able to do such an easy switch without the help of the forums. They have a ton of great info in here!

Now to much question. I know the Epic has 512 MB RAM out of which we get 325MB for apps. I'm constantly using about 265MB of RAM I guess on background apps and services that are running. If I turn my phone off and then back on it comes down to about 200MB. So how much are you guys using? How much am I supposed to have free, more than 60MB? and if so, how do I free RAM? I tried an app from the market but I didn't really trust it, so any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Custom ROM/kernel is probably the most effective way. XDA/SDX devs are probably working as we speak to find ways to free up more memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995