Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

Default Epic + Gravity + Tile Floor = Pain

Much to my horror my Epic slipped out of it's leather case while I was taking it off of a counter (the stock leather sprint one seems a little too skinny for the Epic and the magnet sometimes doesn't clamp the flap shut) and fell about 2-3 feet onto a tile floor. Gorilla glass may be great for scratches, but as plenty of iPhone 4 users know glass is still glass. The area around the capacitive buttons is all cracked and I have one fracture line going up to the bottom left-hand corner of the screen. Overall the usability of the phone hasn't been affected one bit, but it's pretty painful to see my beautiful phone in this state. Lesson learned and I'll be sticking to my full body case from now on and I'll be paying my deductible to get a new one (hopefully not a messed up refurb). No pics at the moment just wanted to share the story.
    LG Nexus 4 (16 GB) - Stock 4.2 - Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Asus Nexus 7 (16 GB) - Black Bean 6 - Franco Kernel
    Samsung Chromebook (ARM) - Stock

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold...

All in with Google...

I'm really sorry to hear that :| A friend of mine dropped her iPhone 3G and it suffered similar damage. I've dropped my own Epic 4G only ONCE since 2 weeks ago when I got it, and it fell straight onto my desk battery door down. After that happened I found myself inspecting it for any visible damage etc. So far it seems fine, but I hope nothing got screwy with the phone since I dropped it.

What I can directly relate with is that when I had my Pre I tripped when getting off the bus, and it flew out of my shirt pocket, landing on concrete and it was cursed into eternal (I had to get it replaced) headset mode.

Did you get your Epic 4G from a Sprint store, or a Best Buy? I got mine at my local Best Buy, and I pay 9.99 a month for Geek Squad repairs. They repair it, or if a replacement is needed it'll be a NEW device, and NOT a refurb. I hope I won't have take advantage of that service, but for security I'll leave it be for now.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Why don't you hold off on the replacement if the phone is still working fine? I mean, I understand the desire for having a perfect phone, but, shudder the thought, if this happened again, with more-than-cosmetic damage, you'd be out $200, instead of the $100 then.

My $0.02, keep it in your full-body case for awhile - if nothing bad happens again in like 6-12 months, and you don't upgrade again, get a new one :P

Quote Originally Posted by mooshubob View Post
    Why don't you hold off on the replacement if the phone is still working fine? I mean, I understand the desire for having a perfect phone, but, shudder the thought, if this happened again, with more-than-cosmetic damage, you'd be out $200, instead of the $100 then.

My $0.02, keep it in your full-body case for awhile - if nothing bad happens again in like 6-12 months, and you don't upgrade again, get a new one :P
    Do you honestly believe someone is going to use a phone with a shattered screen for 6 months??
    Rooted EPIC 4G
    Stock Kernal
    Firmware DI07

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterr View Post
    Do you honestly believe someone is going to use a phone with a shattered screen for 6 months??
    i have friends who have been using shattered iphones that have much worse damage then what's been described for at least that long

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

So sorry to hear that! It happened to my Treo and it was very painful emotionally!

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    Did you get your Epic 4G from a Sprint store, or a Best Buy? I got mine at my local Best Buy, and I pay 9.99 a month for Geek Squad repairs. They repair it, or if a replacement is needed it'll be a NEW device, and NOT a refurb. I hope I won't have take advantage of that service, but for security I'll leave it be for now.

$10 a month for the Geek Squad service? Wow... you are the first that I have heard that took the bait on BB's GS... GS's reputation not-withstanding, why did you choose to go with them and not Sprint? From what I gather from public opinion, people seem to favor Sprint's protection plan much more than BB's... just curious...
    "Its only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything"

Tyler Durden

HTC Touch --> Samsung Instinct --> HTC Touch Pro --> Palm Pre --> Epic 4G
    xtn

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterr View Post
    I've been driving my truck around for two years with a cracked windshield. It isn't functionally impairing my truck, and I care about the functionality waaaaay more than I care about the looks of it, so why waste the money to have it replaced? I'm sure with my luck a brick would fly up and hit the new one the day after I got it replaced anyway.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be annoyed that my nice pretty new phone had its screen cracked, but if it is still perfectly functional, I think the other poster is right: don't waste your $100.

xtn
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

Yeah I've been debating. Unfortunately I started the claim service online (it wouldn't allow me to finish saying I need to fax or mail some info), so I'm not sure if they'll keep that record for future reference.

Here's a pic:

It's really not that bad since the buttons work (maybe even better than before? =P) and when you look at the phone directly that one sliver in the corner isn't noticeable.

All in with Google...

Or you could go HERE and fix it yourself.

Yeah, swapping out the glass is not very hard at all. There is a tear down video online, which mentioned how easy this phone can be taken apart. My friends with iphones do this all the time.

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by murso74 View Post
    i have friends who have been using shattered iphones that have much worse damage then what's been described for at least that long
    I've seen this too with Apple computers. They great devices, but if it breaks and you can't replace it.... Man, that's when you know you should get a PC instead. I cracked screen on an Apple laptop and they were checking their e-mail, surfing the web, etc. My Asus UL30A lappy for $590... If it breaks, I just replace it. No huge expense!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonol2 View Post
    $10 a month for the Geek Squad service? Wow... you are the first that I have heard that took the bait on BB's GS... GS's reputation not-withstanding, why did you choose to go with them and not Sprint? From what I gather from public opinion, people seem to favor Sprint's protection plan much more than BB's... just curious...
    In regards to why I went with BB's GS insurance offering, I like the idea of either getting it repaired on the spot, or getting a BRAND NEW, NON-REFURBISHED unit should I ever need a replacement.

In regards to the Sprint insurance offering, Sprint's $7 insurance plan is nice and I had it on my Pre, but they won't give you brand-new devices... only "like new" refurbs. Mentioning my Pre and the $7 plan, my Pre is deactivated... would that insurance plan still be in effect? I'll have to call Sprint about that... Hmmm

Also, in case you were wondering, I got my phone itself from BB because I didn't want to save up to $350 (before tax and stuff) and then wait for the $100 MiR that likely'd take forever to get to me. I went with the intention of pre-ordering one since last I checked it was out of stock, and I was super lucky and it seems I got the last unit from that shipment or w/e.

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    I've seen this too with Apple computers. They great devices, but if it breaks and you can't replace it.... Man, that's when you know you should get a PC instead. I cracked screen on an Apple laptop and they were checking their e-mail, surfing the web, etc. My Asus UL30A lappy for $590... If it breaks, I just replace it. No huge expense!
    I don't mean to turn this into a Mac vs PC thing here, but if you have warranty on your Mac/iPod/iPad/iPhone they'll replace/repair it without question. Having owned this MacBook since 2007 (and this isn't my first Mac by any means) I've had to get stuff replaced such as my top case (keyboard/trackpad unit) three times or so due to a crack that I didn't want to get worse, my DVD-RW drive was giving me issues with burning DVD+R DLs, and other minor (yes cosmetic) things, but warranty covered it 100%. I have that warranty (AppleCare) until December, and I'm happy that I've had it. That was sort of silly to say. Also, "just $590"... that's still an expense. Sure, it's less than a typical new Mac for $999, but still, it's money coming out of your bank and into Apple's.
    Last edited by Shiggitay; 09-25-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7

wow that pic makes me kinda want to get the insurance on my epic. i have a few more days to decide.

where is that video can someone post a link on how to replace the screen

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

Mentioning my Pre and the $7 plan, my Pre is deactivated... would that insurance plan still be in effect? I'll have to call Sprint about that... Hmmm
    It definitely carries over, so if you don't want it you might want to call and cancel... I've had it for years for on all my phones and it always carries over, regardless of where (or how) you get the phone...

Also, in case you were wondering, I got my phone itself from BB because I didn't want to save up to $350 (before tax and stuff) and then wait for the $100 MiR that likely'd take forever to get to me. I went with the intention of pre-ordering one since last I checked it was out of stock, and I was super lucky and it seems I got the last unit from that shipment or w/e.
    I got my phone from Best Buy for the exact same reasons (plus I had a few Reward Zone certificates saved up that were able to lower my price even more on launch day ), so we're in the same boat... I was offered the BB GS insurance, told them I'd think about it, and was given the standard 7-day "grace period" to mull it over... ultimately, I decided to stay with Sprint's after reading different opinions from a bunch of sources about BB's GS insurance...

To each his (or her) own!
    "Its only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything"

Tyler Durden

HTC Touch --> Samsung Instinct --> HTC Touch Pro --> Palm Pre --> Epic 4G

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

So the phone had that case on it when it dropped? I have that same or similar type of case and I wonder if it even helped lessen the damage. It definitely makes the phone bulkier so if it doesn't help much I may just take it off (I guess with the lens on the back it helps a bit).
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by excalis View Post
    So the phone had that case on it when it dropped? I have that same or similar type of case and I wonder if it even helped lessen the damage. It definitely makes the phone bulkier so if it doesn't help much I may just take it off (I guess with the lens on the back it helps a bit).
    No it was naked. I had it in the leather holster case that Sprint sells, but it sometimes doesn't clip closed (it's magnetic) and it slipped out. Now I use the full body case even though I hate the bulk.

All in with Google...

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Cool, I will keep mine then and hopefully keeps it safe if dropped by accident one day. Sorry to hear about your phone, I would be bummed thats for sure