1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Default How many are keeping Pre to use as a Wifi Web device?

I decided to keep my Pre to use as a Wifi Web device. My Pre is deactivated from Sprint, as i replaced it with the Epic.

I booted it up tonight ( 1min 32 secs. later..) connected to my home WiFi network. I was able to of course Browse the Web, Send some test e-mails...

Browse the Palm App catalog where I downloaded the full version of Angry Birds for the Pre which has different levels and is a blast..

I tested Google Maps it works fine..not of much use since it depends on WiFi now.

So My Pre is similar to an iPod Touch functionality wise.. I have Web, E-mail, Pandora, App market.. no monthly bill. My kids can play games on the pre so I don't sacrifice my Epic to their crumb munching grubby hands..
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    xtn

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

I am in the same situation as you. But I have not actually used my Pre again. I am keeping it for that intended use but have not yet found a reason to put down my new Epic and pick up the Pre.

Mine went to my sister, who is now on my family plan (and contributing $50 a month to the bill).
    Eric Stewart - http://ericdives.com/
    For my Android experiences, see my Android related blog posts
    Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Blackberry 8703e > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry 9630 > Palm Pre > Samsung Epic 4G

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

I want to switch back to the Pre but Sprint does not make it easy. It seems like I have to call to do it because the website isn't allowing me to switch. That's one thing I hate about Sprint. Switching phones isn't as simple as switching sim cards.

"We need to assist you to complete your new phone activation. Please click the chat link, or call us at 888-211-4727. Please call from a phone other than your old phone or the one you are trying to activate".

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

I had this thought, but just like xtn, I haven't put down the Epic. I am working with it right now to reset and sell, the screen that used to look so good, just doesn't, and its so slow without the overclock kernel.

So my buyer is getting an excellent deal with all the extra accessories I had, and I'm mumbling about starting over.

My complaint with the Epic - why do they keep changing post sizes. None of my other chargers, except my bluetooth work. Even my husband's HTC Hero plug does not work on his Evo. What good marketing/sales these guys do with obsolence factors to increase sales - ugh.

But it is actually a great idea for kids or someone that just wants to communicate.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Yup my Pre is now a wifi only device. Since it is no longer the day to day carry object I've put the 3200mah battery back on it so my floating brick can chill around the house, considering to use it as some sort of multimedia remote.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Yup my Pre is now a wifi only device. Since it is no longer the day to day carry object I've put the 3200mah battery back on it so my floating brick can chill around the house, considering to use it as some sort of multimedia remote.
    I need to get that battery if I want to use my Pre as a Wifi only device. I did pull it out of the Epic box (kind of my Pre's coffin) to see if I can use it around the house. Besides the sometimes unbearable slow responsiveness, I ran out of battery in under a day and it became the brick that it is.

Its back in its coffin now.

Sorry, sold my Pre for $100 on craigslist and never looked back. HP has done nothing so far with WebOS and it's losing ground by the hour.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My wife has my Pre now... keeps her out of contract and she can get a different phone anytime she wants...

Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    My complaint with the Epic - why do they keep changing post sizes. None of my other chargers, except my bluetooth work. Even my husband's HTC Hero plug does not work on his Evo. What good marketing/sales these guys do with obsolence factors to increase sales - ugh.
    the charger is a standard micro usb cable (vs the mini usb cable in the hero). you can buy one for less than $1 from monoprice, about $2 from amazon, or around $5-$10 from most electronic stores. and the cable will plug into the actual wall wart from the hero.

the reason it changes is because just about everyone is moving to the smaller mini usb plug so they can make smaller devices, and there's a voluntary agreement in the EU to move to mini usb as a standard for charging.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I keep mine to play AVi vids which the EPic cant do which is insane because they boast how great the screen is for movies and such...i kinda miss my Pre a little

My kid loves using my Pre to text people. I'll give it to her once I get the Epic and let her "text" using IM instead of SMS. Great thing about the Pre is she'll never know the difference since it looks the exact same.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Joey316g View Post
    I keep mine to play AVi vids which the EPic cant do which is insane because they boast how great the screen is for movies and such...i kinda miss my Pre a little
    Um? The Epic DOES play avis... just depends on how the video was encoded to begin with.
    edit: shoot me doesn't let you take a screen shot of the movie, it will always come out white, but you can kinda see it behind the menu. I will take a pic with a different camera to show you.

What you could do is spend the extra couple of minutes and use handbrake to convert the avi to mp4 which will definitely play and be a smaller size. Those 700mb chew up 8gb internal space quickly and you're watching it on something sooooo small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many are keeping Pre to use as a Wifi Web device?-snap20100924_142140.jpg   How many are keeping Pre to use as a Wifi Web device?-dscn0329.jpg   How many are keeping Pre to use as a Wifi Web device?-dscn0330.jpg   How many are keeping Pre to use as a Wifi Web device?-dscn0331.jpg  
    Last edited by Andrew Ruffolo; 09-24-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: problem with screen shot

...Or get a player such as mVideoPlayer. I got it and I love it. It plays MKVs with subtitles, and even 720p files play fine.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Quote Originally Posted by Shiggitay View Post
    ...Or get a player such as mVideoPlayer. I got it and I love it. It plays MKVs with subtitles, and even 720p files play fine.
    Is mVideoPlayer in the android market place?
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joey316g View Post
    How did you get the Pre to play avi?

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by addie_goodvibes View Post
    Is mVideoPlayer in the android market place?
    Yes.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

use mine at home to play my games . cant change/dont know how to change accounts to my epic.

Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

Would love to have been able to transfer my full version (not the game properties of course but the account and proof of a full buy) of Asphault on my Pre to my Epic... I'm assuming there's no way to do this though, anyone know otherwise?
    "Itís only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anythingÖ"

Tyler Durden

HTC Touch --> Samsung Instinct --> HTC Touch Pro --> Palm Pre --> Epic 4G

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Great idea but mine bricked 2 weeks before I got my epic.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

Mine is sitting in its box right now, waiting for a buyer...

Still play with my Pre waiting for webOS 2.0 Can't get rid of such a sweet mobile OS.
    Standard Android User. Not rooted, never will root, just....stop it
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

I downloaded Angry Birds for WebOS on my Pre.

The WebOs version is full featured and lots of levels, Hours of fun over wifi, i still get my e-mails, and the web while on Wifi..

Its a great alternative to an ipod touch.

keeping mine for now.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

We are going to 'food chain' our used pre's to our junior employees. Once I reformatted it and lost the overclock, I forgot how sluggish the thing was.

I also forgot how small the screen and characters were and how it showed every fingerprint and is full of fine scratches.

Really all I miss is the gesture area, touchstone and Card UI.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

I will admit I miss my pre. But then when I am at the sprint store and I play with one I remember the hardware and all is well. I have high hopes for webos as it is a great mobile os. Hopefully 2011 will be a good year for palm as long as realize that turning their back on a lot of great features isn't a good idea.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE