So....now that Evo got fps cap lifted....

Imtheweezel

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you guys think it's just like the Epic? What do you think the difference is? I've been paying attention to the benchmarks and they get ~22 fps in neocore while when I ran it on my Epic I was getting 57 fps. This leads me to believe that even though they don't have a cap, there's something else going on. Maybe hardware related? I don't know. What do ya'll think?

And would you switch to the EVO because of this new update? Thanks for your input.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
The epic's chip-set has a vastly superior gpu. So while the evo is now capable of smoother performance, in demanding games/applications, you're not going to see the performance you'd get on a galaxyS device, with or without the fps cap. I'm not saying the evo is crap or bad, it's fantastic for most purposes, but if you really care about playing demanding games on your phone, the Epic is the way to go.

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed on both. Galaxy S uses PowerVR SGX 540 which vastly outperforms the Adreno in the Epic. Though it really depends what you want in a phone. For me the SGS fits my needs.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, however, you're forgetting the fact that many of the games are optimized for the Snapdragon and therefore, are not an issue. There is a video in the Evo forums where the guy is playing Asphalt 5 without the cap. Runs perfectly, no problems. The Adreno is HIGHLY inferior to the Galaxy S's gpu, but you will not be disappointed with graphics performance on either phone....although I do love seeing 56 fps after a benchmark test instead of 32 fps lol.

cary328is

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones. Each has its own advantage. I love the EVO for that extra .3" of screen space, thinner form factor, HTC sense, and more "solid" feel without a keyboard - but the Epic's GPU, beautiful AMOLED display, and just overall faster CPU makes it awesome as well. I try to split my time between each but I find myself using the Evo more for work and productivity while the Epic is a beast with games and media.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the Evo for a few weeks and asphalt 5 did not play very well on it. Playing it on the Epic, it runs smooth and looks a lot nicer.

iilex

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Its actually much better now! At least with the basic mechancs. You can only do so much with software before you hit hardware limitations :(

Sent from my SPH-D700

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, however, you're forgetting the fact that many of the games are optimized for the Snapdragon and therefore, are not an issue. There is a video in the Evo forums where the guy is playing Asphalt 5 without the cap. Runs perfectly, no problems. The Adreno is HIGHLY inferior to the Galaxy S's gpu, but you will not be disappointed with graphics performance on either phone....although I do love seeing 56 fps after a benchmark test instead of 32 fps lol.

Wasn't impressed with 3D on the EVO, but I will try again with the new update.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-2-vs-evo-rooted-custom-rom-fps-unlocked.html

My Evo vs a stock 2.2 Evo. You'll notice there's a huge difference.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/329825-post12.html

Then go to that link and you'll see my Evo with the fps uncapped playing Asphalt 5. You'll also see another video. It's the Android Central video showing the Captivate against some other phones, including the Evo, playing Asphalt 5. Skip to 5:20 to see the Evo playing it. Compare that to the video of mine playing Asphalt 5 and you'll see a HUGE difference. The Epic does have a better processor/gpu. There's no debating it. But people need to stop acting like the Evo's processor and gpu is as bad as a G1. It's very good, but not as good as the Epics. Doesn't mean the Evo's processor/gpu sucks... The fps uncapped really improves the 3d gameplay. It may not be as good as the Epic, but it's not like comparing a PS2 to a PS3.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-2-vs-evo-rooted-custom-rom-fps-unlocked.html

My Evo vs a stock 2.2 Evo. You'll notice there's a huge difference.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/329825-post12.html

Then go to that link and you'll see my Evo with the fps uncapped playing Asphalt 5. You'll also see another video. It's the Android Central video showing the Captivate against some other phones, including the Evo, playing Asphalt 5. Skip to 5:20 to see the Evo playing it. Compare that to the video of mine playing Asphalt 5 and you'll see a HUGE difference. The Epic does have a better processor/gpu. There's no debating it. But people need to stop acting like the Evo's processor and gpu is as bad as a G1. It's very good, but not as good as the Epics. Doesn't mean the Evo's processor/gpu sucks... The fps uncapped really improves the 3d gameplay. It may not be as good as the Epic, but it's not like comparing a PS2 to a PS3.

Agreed. +1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12