Sprint Epic 4G: Pros VS Cons, should i wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakestone

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I've done what I consider to be alot of research regarding Android phones. After researching reception in my area, discounts from work, and calling/data plans, I decided to put my heart into the Samsung Epic 4G with Sprint. Right now I am leaning more towards the Epic more so than the EVO because of the screen quality, the good reviews, and the slide out keyboard. Now the Epic looks pretty good to me but personally I have alot of cons that seem to be big red flags. My question is should I risk it and buy now with the chance that these cons can/will be corrected or should I wait (ugh) for the next model? The main cons I have are as follows:
  1. Removability of bloatware apps from Sprint & Samsung
  2. The unmodifiable 4 app bar at the bottom
  3. The reports that Bluetooth does not allow voice commands
  4. Navigation being dropped when receiving calls (?)
Now I'm being hopeful because I think alot of these issues are software related, and software can be modified, updated, etc. All the hardware seems to be getting good reviews (the Gorilla Glass screen, the feel of the keyboard). I'm not sure when Froyo will be releaased for the phones in the Galaxy S line, and being that they all have their differences, I don't know if Sprint/Samsung will correct what is almost like amateur mistakes. Could I expect more customizability? Will the multitasking issues be resolved? AND since I am new to AndroidCentral, is there a way to put stock Android on the Epic? Is there some way to get the few cons that there are resolved through root access?

Pleased to join this community, YAY!,
~Blake

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the evo and its great phone and I have had no problems with it so it you want a really great phone I would get the evo

sent from my htc evo 4g

wizzeerd

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
  1. Removability of bloatware apps from Sprint & Samsung
  2. The unmodifiable 4 app bar at the bottom
I understand you can remove bloatware if you root, but it doesn't really matter to me. The bloatware doesn't run, so it only hurts by making me look through a few extra apps when I want to see the full list.

If you mean the 4 capacitive buttons at the very bottom by 'app bar', I believe that is standard on all android devices. If you mean the dock, I have 5 apps that I selected myself (with Launcher Pro). People complaining about an unmodifiable dock are really reaching for things to complain about.

I really like my Epic and I'm new to Android. I am looking forward to Froyo, but I wouldn't trade in the hardware for anything else I've seen.

My advice: If you're happy with what you're using now and aren't in a rush to get something new, stick with what you've got. But remember, there's always going to be someone complaining about what's available now and there's always going to be something new coming out "any day now". If you can afford a new phone and the Sprint service, grab an Epic (if you prefer keyboard & beautiful screen) or Evo (if you prefer a slightly bigger screen) now.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If you want a beginner Android experience phone go with the Epic. Then you'll get to experience 2.1 and (hopefully) appreciate the changes moving forward to 2.2. Hopefully Sprint does this right... For me with 2.2 on my Evo I couldn't recommend anything less. Also I believe that HTC has and will provide more support for their device down the road... sorry Samsung just doesn't have the past track record you'd expect.

Yes with any Android i'd suggest LauncherPro. The Epic does allow you to use the stock Android launcher, though you never know if sprint will disable it with the next update like they did on the Evo - either way LauncherPro is better.

Also having both phones around I notice that the Evo gets better battery life. That super screen drains some super juice. And also when you turn the brightness down lower than all the way up, the the screen is almost too dark, even in low light because of the contrast.

The keyboard, as most would say, is where ur decision lays. I like the keyboard but I've gotten use to my on screen so its no biggie for me, plus you've always got Swipe. If u feel u need a keyboard than go Epic, if not, than go Evo.

Personally after using both I prefer the Evo. The solidness of the build, the smoothness of the OS, the higher megapixels of the cameras, the better & faster support with updates, better battery life etc... all make me choose the Evo between the two.

Also a concern I was expressing with my GF last night about her Epic, is that sometimes our phones will be in the same spot right next to each other and all of a sudden her signal will drop(u know because it makes a sound) where ill have a constant 3-4 bar connection.. This wouldn't worry me as much if her last phone also Samsung, the Samsung Moment, didn't do the same exact thing in the same places... and even like on the freeway in a very big city where my signal is blasting full bars you'll hear that dropped signal tone coming from her purse.

Just my 2 cent though. Either way your gonna love Android and we welcome you to the community.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro

manso1102

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried the evo ad it wasn't for me. It just fet to uncomfortable in my hand. I switched my evo for the epic and I am extremely happy with the trade! And like its been said, launcher pro will take care of you for the simple mod needs you brought up.

I've had touch pro 1 and 2, ppc6700, blackberry bold, samsung omnia, and htc evo throughout the years, and the best phone bar none the epic. At least that's the case for me!

-EPIC 4G using Tapatalk Pro-

danny2744

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
i have an epic 4g and i already like it. like others have said there are ways to fix some of your problems. i haven't rooted my phone but use ADW.Launcher for my home screen. launcher pro is also a good one. i use the keyboard and the touchscreen like 50/50 so i like the choice of having both. i haven't used the EVO so i couldn't speak for it but it doesn't matter both phones are good choices to have.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the evo, the gf has the epic. My personal preference is the evo. She likes the epic because for the keyboard.

The Epic you can walk in and get. The evo well if you happen to walk in and get one go buy a lottery ticket because it is your lucky day.

The evo is so much smoother with the recent update. The recent update on the epic has killed the battery life.

To me the epic lags or is somewhat slow to act when you pick it up and press a button or icon, almost like ti has to wake up. After it is used a bit then it responds fine..

The screen on the epic is by far the clear winner for color, it make my evo look washed out.

The evo feels more solid in my hands, the epic seems more flimsy due to the slider. just a personal preference.

When it comes to raw power, the epic will spank the evo in all respects. it is already so close as it is. when it gets froyo. Or maybe i should say if i have experienced a huge lack of support with previous samsung phones.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I got the Epic because of the keyboard. If the Evo had a keyboard, i probably would have went with it due to screen size and HTC, which i typically prefer over Samsung.

The 2.2 to me isn't that much of an issue because the Epic will have it sometime soon.

1414H77

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I had the EVO since launch and loved it, but in my opinion and for me, the Epic is superior. Much better screen quality, love swype, better and louder sound quality, much better on locking in on and holding 4G, etc. I could be perfectly happy with either, but once you have seen that screen, the EVO looks very washed out.

drewsg

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Epic a couple days after having the Evo since launch, and let me tell that the battery life is absolutely terrible. I got used to bad battery life with the Evo, but the Epic is bringing it to a whole new level.

Besides that, the Epic is so much smoother than the Evo, it plays games better, takes better pictures and HD videos. The whole overall experience is better than the Evo

Touch Wiz sucks *** though, Sense is much better and has way better widgets..

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
i had both and i like epic more. just much faster and pics are better for sure. and hw keyboard wasnt a big issue for me but now i have it i use it alot and for emulator gaming hw keyboard is the ****. i just like the phone overall better. battery life will be corrected and i can make it just about as long as i did on my evo

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. While the Epic's screen is much more vibrant, the Evo's screen is not washed out at all. For someone who wants to make a choice, be careful about what you read. For example, if someone says "x makes y's screen look [insert answer here]", it does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with the screen, just that it looks worse than the other phone's screen when put side by side. As a previous and a new Evo owner by tomorrow, the Evo's screen looks fine.

Note that I agree that the Evo's screen looks less vibrant than the Epic's.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. While the Epic's screen is much more vibrant, the Evo's screen is not washed out at all. For someone who wants to make a choice, be careful about what you read. For example, if someone says "x makes y's screen look [insert answer here]", it does not necessarily mean that there is a problem with the screen, just that it looks worse than the other phone's screen when put side by side. As a previous and a new Evo owner by tomorrow, the Evo's screen looks fine.

Note that I agree that the Evo's screen looks less vibrant than the Epic's.

they both have great screens.... Perhaps a better way to put it is it is like looking at a nice lcd tv vs a led tv they both look great but one it much more alive with the colors then the other

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to close this thread. I made the List of Current Issues thread the main thread for this. As for OP, go check that thread out and you will find pros and cons. Thanks!

Sincerely,
caliskimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781