Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default why no Epic advertising push?

    I have an EVO but previously owned an Epic. The Epic is a great device. After 2 exchanges due to capacitive button and slider issues, I exchanged it for an EVO.

    But I'm definitely a fan of Samsung and what it is doing with the Galaxy line.

    My issue is with the marketing of the Epic. It essentially has no media presence. There was the initial tv spot with the X wing fighters and now a really strange new ad in which a dude jumps into the arms of a girl. IPhone is still pushing the facetime. Motorola still has Droid and DroidX in your face. HTC is running a major campaign with 2 EVO ads and 1 Incredible tv spot.

    The Samsung Epic is in the same league with all those devices. It's an elite device. Why no major ad campaign? Tv or otherwise.
  2. #2  
    chenDawg's Avatar

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

    Default

    lol I see their commericals like 3 times a day and I don't even watch much TV.

    Also every time I go to the movies one of the pre-roll commercials is for the Galaxy S line.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    I have an EVO but previously owned an Epic. The Epic is a great device. After 2 exchanges due to capacitive button and slider issues, I exchanged it for an EVO.

    But I'm definitely a fan of Samsung and what it is doing with the Galaxy line.

    My issue is with the marketing of the Epic. It essentially has no media presence. There was the initial tv spot with the X wing fighters and now a really strange new ad in which a dude jumps into the arms of a girl. IPhone is still pushing the facetime. Motorola still has Droid and DroidX in your face. HTC is running a major campaign with 2 EVO ads and 1 Incredible tv spot.

    The Samsung Epic is in the same league with all those devices. It's an elite device. Why no major ad campaign? Tv or otherwise.
    Maybe samsung thinks that the fact that they have phones on the shelf to buy is enough reason to get one? After all if you come in and need a phone and your options are to wait for an EVO well lets face it that can be along wait or you can walk out the door with the epic. Most people are going to go for the epic becasue they are not going to go with out a phone. Other then that I don't know. Maybe sprint doesn't want to offend HTC ? Who knows.....

    I know you can hardly walk down a dark deserted ally without seeing some kind of verizon branding lol.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Sprint has always been bad about advertising their phones. Even their flagship phones don't get much advertising other than the EVO which has gotten the most phone advertising from Sprint than any other I can remember. The last time they did a big pitch on phones was the Instinct a while back ago and that was an AWFUL phone. Almost all of the other big 3 cell phone companies advertise both their service and their phones and Sprint needs to do the same so people know what they have to offer. No one is going to go shopping in a sprint store to find out what they have. They have to be drawn in with a mega phone that they're offering. I never even heard of the EVO until I started to look up phones when my phone was up for renewal. And by that time, the Epic was already a month old. Come on Sprint, get with the program if you want to sell some phones!!
    Scott
    teachforjune.com--A different kind of professional development.™
    workshops, webinars & consulting
  5. #5  

    Default

    It does seem odd. I see EVO ads all the time and can't remember the last Epic ad. Our local BB has 100 Epics in stock all of the time on an automatic reorder. They get 20, 30, or 50 EVOs that are sold before they come in each week.
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - KeyboardsFolders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  6. #6  

    Default

    I do see the GENERIC Galaxy S ads from Samsung but they usually show a Verizon-branded phone (Fascinate). It would be nice to see the Epic get some LOVE since it is better than the EVO in my opinion and I've been an HTC/Sense fan from the beginning even with my pre-sense HTC WinMo phone from about 6 years ago.
    Scott
    teachforjune.com--A different kind of professional development.™
    workshops, webinars & consulting
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    I have an EVO but previously owned an Epic. The Epic is a great device. After 2 exchanges due to capacitive button and slider issues, I exchanged it for an EVO.

    But I'm definitely a fan of Samsung and what it is doing with the Galaxy line.

    My issue is with the marketing of the Epic. It essentially has no media presence. There was the initial tv spot with the X wing fighters and now a really strange new ad in which a dude jumps into the arms of a girl. IPhone is still pushing the facetime. Motorola still has Droid and DroidX in your face. HTC is running a major campaign with 2 EVO ads and 1 Incredible tv spot.

    The Samsung Epic is in the same league with all those devices. It's an elite device. Why no major ad campaign? Tv or otherwise.
    I see ads for generic SGS and Epic specific ones on TV, websites and during streaming online TV. I was actually surprised at the amount of advertising.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenDawg View Post
    lol I see their commericals like 3 times a day and I don't even watch much TV.

    Also every time I go to the movies one of the pre-roll commercials is for the Galaxy S line.
    and what samsung epic tv spot do you see? the initial one which does nothing to demonstrate the device's capabilities. I'm not interested in galaxy s ads. just those that concentrate on the epic. why hasn't sprint/samsung developed an epic tv spot like the other heavyweights are doing?
  9. #9  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chenDawg View Post
    lol I see their commericals like 3 times a day and I don't even watch much TV.

    Also every time I go to the movies one of the pre-roll commercials is for the Galaxy S line.
    That's funny. I don't watch cable that much either; but, I always hear an advertisement in the background for some sort of galaxy s phone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dekcufi View Post
    Maybe samsung thinks that the fact that they have phones on the shelf to buy is enough reason to get one? After all if you come in and need a phone and your options are to wait for an EVO well lets face it that can be along wait or you can walk out the door with the epic. Most people are going to go for the epic becasue they are not going to go with out a phone. Other then that I don't know. Maybe sprint doesn't want to offend HTC ? Who knows.....

    I know you can hardly walk down a dark deserted ally without seeing some kind of verizon branding lol.
    I'm pretty sure samsung's marketing strategy is not to hope people go into stores looking for an evo and, not finding one, choose an epic as a 2nd choice. Go into any shack, bestbuy or sprint store and ask the rep how many epics does he have. My local shack had 10 epics yesterday. He says they're not moving anymore because samsung/sprint did not create mindshare the way they did with the evo, the pre or the instinct. They never created excitement.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    That's funny. I don't watch cable that much either; but, I always hear an advertisement in the background for some sort of galaxy s phone.
    Here we are concerned with the epic.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rsbenedict View Post
    I do see the GENERIC Galaxy S ads from Samsung but they usually show a Verizon-branded phone (Fascinate). It would be nice to see the Epic get some LOVE since it is better than the EVO in my opinion and I've been an HTC/Sense fan from the beginning even with my pre-sense HTC WinMo phone from about 6 years ago.
    Dude I bet you if the epic got the kind of marketing love that the evo currently enjoys (the "first" commercials, the ad with the dude golfing and the ad with the woman propping up the evo with the kickstand on the airplane) you wouldn't have dusty epic inventory languishing on shelves.

    Who knows, maybe samsung has some new innovative epic ads on the way. Ads that show how incredible the device is.
  13. #13  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    Dude I bet you if the epic got the kind of marketing love that the evo currently enjoys (the "first" commercials, the ad with the dude golfing and the ad with the woman propping up the evo with the kickstand on the airplane) you wouldn't have dusty epic inventory languishing on shelves.

    Who knows, maybe samsung has some new innovative epic ads on the way. Ads that show how incredible the device is.
    Just made them easier to get. The whole first 4g phone commercial was like an apple advertisement IMO. Everyone wanted one like it was the new iPhone 5 with the innovated feature of voice calling.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Has anyone seen the new epic tv spot in which the guy inexplicably jumps into the arms of the girl? I've only seen it twice. It's a real short spot with a glimpse of the epic at the end. But it's super strange.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    maybe its just a samsung thing. is it tmobile's samsung ad that has its devices parading around a stripper pole to the tune of some old disco music?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    Just made them easier to get. The whole first 4g phone commercial was like an apple advertisement IMO. Everyone wanted one like it was the new iPhone 5 with the innovated feature of voice calling.
    I don't see the similarities between the iPhone spots and the evo "first" commercial. The iPhone ads featured the iPhone stationary while a finger manipulated the screen. The evo spot had stuff falling all over each other in the desert.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    I don't see the similarities between the iPhone spots and the evo "first" commercial. The iPhone ads featured the iPhone stationary while a finger manipulated the screen. The evo spot had stuff falling all over each other in the desert.
    But to your point, the iPhone is the gold standard. Without the iPhone touchscreen, there is no evo full touchscreen. The samsung galaxy line copies the iPhone form factor and employs an almost identical app drawer.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    maybe its just a samsung thing. is it tmobile's samsung ad that has its devices parading around a stripper pole to the tune of some old disco music?
    No, that's the Samsung Fascinate on Verizon.

    Sprint has always sucked at marketing, they really need to step it up with both the Evo and Epic and everything else. Both are great phones but only the Evo seems to get most of the love which is still nothing compared to Verizon's and AT&T's marketing and the Epic is no slouch and needs to get some media time other than the generic Galaxy S spots sponsored by Samsung.

    Thanks to Verizon's marketing, everyone asks me if my phone is a "Droid" and I say no, it's a Samsung Epic but runs Android and everyone seems to say something similar like "Oh, nevermind, I thought it was a Droid, those are cool, like the iPhone, I want one of those, never heard of the Epic, must be another wannabe." That really annoys me...

    Nobody (as in general consumers and not phone geeks) really knew what the hell Android even was until Verizon pushed their Droid ads and those damn Moto's are now almost in the same league as the iPhone consumer awareness wise for non-phone geeks and why, because of MARKETING.

    Come on Sprint, wake up!
  19. #19  
    Andrew Ruffolo's Avatar

    Posts
    3,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    You don't watch the right tv, they advertise the epic a lot on Comedy Central, which is what I watch most of the time. Everything else I get off of Hulu.
  20. #20  

    Default

    I don't watch comedy central much, but I do watch a lot of tv.

    The fascinate gets the most promos (verizon) followed by the generic galaxy s line (where you're watching a movie on the screen and then realize that it's on a galaxy s phone) and last and dead last at that, is the guy and girl weird epic promo. It's as bad as the weird pre promos that didn't work.

    Sprint is hyping up on the Evo and you can barely find them anywhere. They need to hype of the Epic so they have two hot phones on sale. They have enough ads on their service, they need to promote their phones as they have two of the best currently out there!
    Scott
    teachforjune.com--A different kind of professional development.™
    workshops, webinars & consulting
  21. #21  
    caliskimmer's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    ROM
    N/A

    Default

    Found an Evo after a week and a half of searching. As for the Epic, I agree that it's just not being advertised as much. I've seen a lot of the other Galaxy S commercials, but only a few Epic commercials.
  22. #22  
    IAMKING's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

    Default

    The latest Sprint commercial being seen is "Epic Kiss". There are a ton of short videos that Sprint has created which I am sure will turn into TV ads at some point. The ads can be viewed at here.

    EPIC MINI MOVIES


    I also like that Sprint has a dedicated EPIC 4G page set up that highlights the multimedia features of our beloved Epic! Check it out... our Galaxy S version is clearly better than the rest...imo.
  23. #23  
    caliskimmer's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    ROM
    N/A

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hydr0 View Post
    The latest Sprint commercial being seen is "Epic Kiss". There are a ton of short videos that Sprint has created which I am sure will turn into TV ads at some point. The ads can be viewed at here.

    EPIC MINI MOVIES


    I also like that Sprint has a dedicated EPIC 4G page set up that highlights the multimedia features of our beloved Epic! Check it out... our Galaxy S version is clearly better than the rest...imo.
    Yes, I have to agree. Planet Epic> the rest of the galaxy
  24. #24  
    dragonol2's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    ROM
    StarBurst ROM-LoStKernel

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rsbenedict View Post
    Sprint has always been bad about advertising their phones. Even their flagship phones don't get much advertising other than the EVO which has gotten the most phone advertising from Sprint than any other I can remember. The last time they did a big pitch on phones was the Instinct a while back ago and that was an AWFUL phone. Almost all of the other big 3 cell phone companies advertise both their service and their phones and Sprint needs to do the same so people know what they have to offer. No one is going to go shopping in a sprint store to find out what they have. They have to be drawn in with a mega phone that they're offering. I never even heard of the EVO until I started to look up phones when my phone was up for renewal. And by that time, the Epic was already a month old. Come on Sprint, get with the program if you want to sell some phones!!
    The Pre had the same problem... either no advertising at all or weird crazy freaky lady advertising that made no sense... I did notice though that when I was on Yahoo's homepage this morning I saw an Epic ad right on the top in a good location, so that's a good sign I guess...
    "It’s only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything…"

    Tyler Durden


    HTC Touch --> Samsung Instinct --> HTC Touch Pro --> Palm Pre --> Epic 4G
  25. #25  
    liquidxit2's Avatar

    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Thats sprint for ya! The evo is their brain child and flagship phone, therefore they apparently dont see any need in advertising for any other phone. If you want a company to advertise sprint is not your company.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B