Phone stop charging after 100%?

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if this was how it is supposed to act or only happened after the update.

Whenever my phone hits 100% it stops charging now. The problem is if i leave it charging overnight. It hits 100% somewhere halfway through. With the battery drain issues sometimes I wake up with it at 70% after leaving it charging from the dock or the plug in adapter.

Is this normal?

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Might be a problem with your phone.

I usually turn mine off when I go to bed, and I charge overnight. It only takes a few hours to charge, so when I wake up in the morning it's been full for a few hours. The blue LED is lit, and my "Gauge Battery Widget" reports that the battery is 97% full. I've never been able to get it to charge past 97%.

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if this was how it is supposed to act or only happened after the update.

Whenever my phone hits 100% it stops charging now. The problem is if i leave it charging overnight. It hits 100% somewhere halfway through. With the battery drain issues sometimes I wake up with it at 70% after leaving it charging from the dock or the plug in adapter.

Is this normal?

Yes. The phone has always behaved this way. I bought mine on launch day and it worked this way. It seems the battery system is designed to do this. Once the battery hits 100% the phone stops charging and begins to use the battery. I always unplug my phone and plug it back in when I wake up to make sure it's really full. Usually I turn mine off to let it charge all the way. I don't need it to be on in the middle of the night anyway.

lorcha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The phone has always behaved this way. I bought mine on launch day and it worked this way. It seems the battery system is designed to do this. Once the battery hits 100% the phone stops charging and begins to use the battery.
I have never seen a phone behave this way before. What an idiotic design.
I always unplug my phone and plug it back in when I wake up to make sure it's really full. Usually I turn mine off to let it charge all the way. I don't need it to be on in the middle of the night anyway.
I don't need mine in the middle of the night either, but I sure need it in the morning just before I wake up. My phone is my alarm clock!

My Epic arrives tomorrow. This might irritate me enough to return it.

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
My Epic does NOT behave that way. After it says the battery is full, my battery status stays in the 95 - 98% range until I unplug it. In fact, if I keep the phone plugged in and use if for a minute or two, sometimes the battery indicates 100%.

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow :(

I've never had a phone do this before....
I use my phone as my alarm clock too. Esp combined with the update and battery life not being the best.. I've had to bring my charger to work just to make sure i can last through the day

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's my phone's battery chart.. you can see that during over night charging, the battery charge bounces between 100 down to the high 90s...

batterychart.jpg

chenDawg

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You guys should have your phone looked at... mine does the same as booggerg.
I've never seen a phone just stop charging after reaching 100%.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My Epic does NOT behave that way. After it says the battery is full, my battery status stays in the 95 - 98% range until I unplug it. In fact, if I keep the phone plugged in and use if for a minute or two, sometimes the battery indicates 100%.

Same here, my Epic does not do any of the weird things described in this thread... I leave it charging over night (I get annoyed that you get the "I'm finished charging, unplug me" notification, but the screen eventually times out so oh well) and when I wake up it's at 100%... I unplug and take it into another room and start getting ready for work and it hovers around 98 - 100%, but it doesn't stop the charging process and beging to drain overnight

spilotos

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
My samsung mesmerize do started doing this a few days ago. I've been messing with different ways of charging and keeping the battery topped up through the day, and I'm wondering if I damaged it somehow.

Does anyone know if the usb plug data leads are used by the charger? (I had been using a battery pack with only the GND and 5v leads connected-at times the phone would heat up.)

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Mine is working fine. When I get up in the morning, the battery says full at 100%. Not seeing a drain after it hits 100% during the night...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae