Battery issue update.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
flnlow, that was great of you to thank the engineers. Where were they, local or somewhere in Sprint.
I have been to two service centers, I am the only one complaining. They will not change out my phone since they can find nothing wrong, smartphones suck battery, etc., with it within my 30 days. I was told the phone is too expensive for Sprint to trash, and I said it was too expensive for me to buy and keep since it went to hell after their update

So I did a hard reset to see if something was conflicting, firmware maintained update. I am still sucking battery, so I'm timing the loss. Media Hub, DRM Stoage, and for some reason Sprint Hotspot (not signed up nor have used). Lost 40% in 5 hours with nothing on and light use.

Tomorrow, I'm going to turn these off and document battery. I did lose my
temper with the above comments, so if you say Sprint's Corporate Engineers are aware, I will probably carry my netbook in with my figures and ask for another phone. However, I'm concerned it might do the same . . . if it does, my husband's Evo is going 1.5 days on same setup, so might have to switch. Like mine better, but not living for chargers.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I live within blocks of the Sprint headquarters in Overland Park, KS. I always use their on campus store since it's so close.

To answer a previous question, there is no set length of time I charge my phone. Usually plug in when I go to bed around midnight. Unplug when the alarm goes off at 630. Last night went to bed at midnight, woke up at 100 when the screen came on when it was full charged, unplugged then.

here are my stats now:

battery 43%
18hr 54min unplugged

It has been working absolutely beautifully for me since the DRM kill. This is better than my blackberry batteries ever were and easily puts my Evo to shame.

Guapo104

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I live within blocks of the Sprint headquarters in Overland Park, KS. I always use their on campus store since it's so close.

To answer a previous question, there is no set length of time I charge my phone. Usually plug in when I go to bed around midnight. Unplug when the alarm goes off at 630. Last night went to bed at midnight, woke up at 100 when the screen came on when it was full charged, unplugged then.

here are my stats now:

battery 43%
18hr 54min unplugged

It has been working absolutely beautifully for me since the DRM kill. This is better than my blackberry batteries ever were and easily puts my Evo to shame.

Just curious Flynlow, what's your overall usage like with the phone??? I got 15hrs 23m unplugged and it was down to 1%, but I also had 2hr 45min of voice calls. This is far better than what I used to get before having Sprint replaced my battery yesterday.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow, @flynlow and all, thank you for all this incredibly helpful info. I just got my epic yesterday and have mostly enjoyed it, other than getting only a precious few hours on a charge. Looking forward to firing it up and making these fixes--when it FINALLY finishes charging (mine take a ****'s age to charge, btw)--and hoping that it will give me the battery longevity you guys have begun enjoying. Cheers to that, and here's looking forward to the 3G upload fix (hopefully without borking our batteries with some other new glitch).

Out of curiosity, I'm new to Sprint and new to Sammy. In you guys' experience, do you think we can expect to be pulling these bootleg solutions for the next two years, or will they roll out some healing goodness in the next month or two of OTAs?

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My overall usage as of now:

disply 37%
voice calls 33%
cell standby 16%
phone idle 11%
android system 3%

21hrs 54min 8sec unplugged
29%

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Its been 4 hrs since last charge, the time my phone was going dead. Now It is at 40% with some online poker use.
stats. 4h 21m;
Display 48%
Voice Calls 15%
Cell Standby 15%
Android System 4%
Idle 3%

It is definitely better than before but i want to last 13hrs like Guapo.

Hope this is somehow informational.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are 58% without signal, try a power off, re-power, go to airplane mode, click it, wait a min, click it again, you will hear it reset with tones, then go in to applivations, running services, shut down DRM, hotspot and media hub. See how that works.

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, flynlow - I did the DRM kill--yes, it was running--altho had no sign of the media hub (haven't gone there yet, maybe that's why?). But just checked to see my numbers on the battery usage after about and hour + 30 minutes back on, and cell standby was using 13% and had 56% w/out signal. YIKES. Can't wait to see how we do with those two changes! Thanks again for sharing your great discoveries with the community.

---

UPDATE: Finished the PRL Update, then checked back on the running services and guess who popped into the game? Media Hub, that fiendish swine. Killed it.

Last edited:

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
If you are 58% without signal, try a power off, re-power, go to airplane mode, click it, wait a min, click it again, you will hear it reset with tones, then go in to applivations, running services, shut down DRM, hotspot and media hub. See how that works.

Alright my friends, here goes trial two. 100% battery at 8 am and with all of the above applied. Hope this works.

Thank you againg though. At least this battery is not giving me that whole 4 hrs life with rare use.

johnny hotsauce

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, I finally bit the bullet last night with updating to DI07 on my second Epic and we'll see what happens. I killed media hub, drm and sprint hotspot so we'll see how today goes.

On my first Epic after the DI07, I couldn't go 4 hours without being down to under 10% without even using the the phone so hopefully 2nd time is the charm but then again, the replacement Epic isn't suffering from any of the issues the first one did on DG27 which is why I decided to give DI07 a chance on this one...

We also have a new update coming in the next few days so I'm curious to see how that goes...

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
8h 38m
Display 59%
Cell standby 14% time w/o signal 12%
Idle 8%
Android system 4%

Phone at 20%

Its very low battery time compared to flynlow's . The drm and the others I took out stayed off but I still think that my battery is doing badly.
Calling samsung tomorrow. Love my phone but if its going to not last me a full day, I don't think I can have it.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Killing Media Hub and DRM doesn't seem to help. The update coming out today (going to be released over the next 4 days) may fix this. Fingers crossed.

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
8h 38m
Display 59%
Cell standby 14% time w/o signal 12%
Idle 8%
Android system 4%

Phone at 20%

Its very low battery time compared to flynlow's . The drm and the others I took out stayed off but I still think that my battery is doing badly.
Calling samsung tomorrow. Love my phone but if its going to not last me a full day, I don't think I can have it.

LAST STATS BEFORE PHONE DEATH
6:12 PM

10h 18m 45s
Display 50%
Voice calls 16%
Cell Standby 13% Time without signal 12%(big improvement here, TY Flynlow)
Phone Idle 7%
Android system 4%
Maps 2%

Battery at 5%

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I want to give Flynlow much credit for his finding on the DRM app and posting it on here.

I had posted before in another thread on my poor battery life, even after killing the DRM application, toggling between airplane mode, and making sure 4G/WiFi was off.

I took my phone yesterday to the Sprint corporate store, after calling tech support to document my issue with my phone battery and to setup an appointment at the store. They tested my phone and battery, and my phone test fine. My battery failed miserably. They gave me a new battery and were kind enough to call me, at my office, when my phone was ready for pick up. The battery was fully charged when I received my phone.

I am pleased to report that after closing Media Hub and DRM app, as well as toggling the airplane mode on and off, I now get well over 12hrs+ of moderate to heavy usage(phone calls, email, texts, web surf) on my battery.

So far today, I have been unplugged for 13hr 11min 35s and my battery stats are as follows;

Voice Calls: 67% - 2hr 7m 1s
Display: 22% - Time on 1h 47m 39s
Cell Standby: 5% with Time without signal at 3%
Phone Idle: 3%
Bluetooth: 2% - time on 7h 19m 39s

I now have 24% battery left.

So have your phone and BATTERY tested.

Killing Media Hub and DRM doesn't seem to help. The update coming out today (going to be released over the next 4 days) may fix this. Fingers crossed.

Duratime, I think we might have to do like our friend Guapo and have our phone battery checked out at the sprint store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20