Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default Battery issue update.

    Went back to Sprint last night to let them know how their fix was working. They decided to go over it again because I told them about having to toggle airplane mode, or do a PRL update. What they found was, whenever you access a data channel other than 3g/WCDMA, media hub restarts. That is, if you turn on 4G, or wifi, media hub will start. The only fix at this point is after you use 4G, or wifi, go back into running services and shut it down again. The DRM should not be starting with it but check when you close media hub to make sure.

    As far as the airplane mode/PRL, what appears to be happening is the data channel opens for media hub and stays open. You should only have to toggle on reboot, not every time you close media hub. They put in a ticket to Samsung and said this should be resolved with an independent update, or with 2.2, which according to them is due out next month. Hope this helps those that are killing DRM and media hub but still having a drain issue.

    So to be clear, anytime you access any data off 3G/WCDMA, be it 4G, wifi etc. Media hub will open and will have to be manually shut down again.
    Thanked by 4:
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    Went back to Sprint last night to let them know how their fix was working. They decided to go over it again because I told them about having to toggle airplane mode, or do a PRL update. What they found was, whenever you access a data channel other than 3g/WCDMA, media hub restarts. That is, if you turn on 4G, or wifi, media hub will start. The only fix at this point is after you use 4G, or wifi, go back into running services and shut it down again. The DRM should not be starting with it but check when you close media hub to make sure.

    As far as the airplane mode/PRL, what appears to be happening is the data channel opens for media hub and stays open. You should only have to toggle on reboot, not every time you close media hub. They put in a ticket to Samsung and said this should be resolved with an independent update, or with 2.2, which according to them is due out next month. Hope this helps those that are killing DRM and media hub but still having a drain issue.

    So to be clear, anytime you access any data off 3G/WCDMA, be it 4G, wifi etc. Media hub will open and will have to be manually shut down again.
    Did they mention that this may be fixed in the next update?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    Yes, I mentioned that in the second paragraph.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    Went back to Sprint last night to let them know how their fix was working. They decided to go over it again because I told them about having to toggle airplane mode, or do a PRL update. What they found was, whenever you access a data channel other than 3g/WCDMA, media hub restarts. That is, if you turn on 4G, or wifi, media hub will start.
    That is not my experience. After I access 4G, the DRM service associated with Media Hub does not restart.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    That is not my experience. After I access 4G, the DRM service associated with Media Hub does not restart.
    Same here. It doesn't restart when i go in and out of wifi.
  6. #6  
    nmoreman's Avatar

    Posts
    405 Posts
    Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

    Default

    Mine does - I discussed this ad naseum with my tech - they have had no other complaints than mine, no information or communication from Sprint, no idea what was wrong except to hard reset or exchange.

    I have turned so many things off and on my phone, I'm not sure if I screwed something else up - my music player doesn't work with headphones. So I think I am just going to exchange just in case since I am in my 30 days. I do not feel like fighting this forever, and some do not have the issue.

    My thanks again to everyone who jumped in and shared, I would never have found these issues, I was just disgusted. I'm knew, so what a way to learn Android!!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    That is not my experience. After I access 4G, the DRM service associated with Media Hub does not restart.
    I said DRM will NOT restart. Media hub will without DRM.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I don't think the Media Hub itself is draining the battery nearly as much as the DRM. I got really good battery life yesterday (16 hours later, still at 35% with a good amount of usage), and I noticed that the Media Hub would try to restart itself.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    I said DRM will NOT restart. Media hub will without DRM.
    I don't understand. I thought it had been determined that it was the DRM service running every 11.5 seconds that was the problem. What does the Media Hub app itself do to consume power? It is not running constantly as a service.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bevorules View Post
    I don't think the Media Hub itself is draining the battery nearly as much as the DRM. I got really good battery life yesterday (16 hours later, still at 35% with a good amount of usage), and I noticed that the Media Hub would try to restart itself.
    True. They told me to close out media hub just to be sure the DRM stayed dormant. I have been having excellent battery life, I think even better than before the update. I plugged in last night still sitting at 64%, that was after being unplugged 19 hours. Right now I am at 73% after being off charge for 11 hours. No complaints here.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    I don't understand. I thought it had been determined that it was the DRM service running every 11.5 seconds that was the problem. What does the Media Hub app itself do to consume power? It is not running constantly as a service.
    Just as a precautionary measure. It is DRM that is the killer. However, when you open a data channel other than 3G, media hub starts itself. They were unsure if within time, DRM would not restart too. I have personally not had an issue with DRM restarting but am just making sure. I am only repeating what I was told to do as an option. Everyone is free to do what they want. I am killing media hub after a wifi or 4G session. I like how it's working so far.
  12. #12  

    Default

    I deleted media hub and I kill drm at boot. It does not restart.

    After rebooting this morning and once again verifying the phone does sleep, 5 minutes ago something triggered my phone to once again stay awake. I then proceeded to kill every single program and running service but it still remained awake.

    I just rebooted which solves the problem but only temporarily as I have found.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    Just as a precautionary measure. It is DRM that is the killer. However, when you open a data channel other than 3G, media hub starts itself. They were unsure if within time, DRM would not restart too. I have personally not had an issue with DRM restarting but am just making sure. I am only repeating what I was told to do as an option. Everyone is free to do what they want. I am killing media hub after a wifi or 4G session. I like how it's working so far.
    I have had the same problems as you and your fixes worked to perfection. Thanks a lot for the updates and making me now 100% satisfied with my epic
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    Glad to hear it. All the thanks go to three Sprint engineers. Mark, Tim and Jose. I don't know their last names but the fact that they took a total of five hours of their time to dig through the entire system bit by bit to diagnose and come up with a fix. They were very attentive and interested in making it work as it is supposed to. Not knocking any other carrier but I can't really see that happening anywhere else. Also to the rep, Kathleen, (I think was her name), that contacted them in the first place, rather than just tossing me a battery or a new phone just to get me out the door.
  15. #15  

    Default Alright...

    I exchanged my epic for one of the same, the last one was having overheating problems but the battery wouldnt drain like the new one i received. also takes 3-4hrs to charge, which in my opinion is too long compared to the defective overheating one that only took about an hr and a half. They both had the update and I never took off the DRM thing. I have a feeling this is a Samsung battery issue. What do you guys think about this?
    Also. the new phone's battery is only lasting about 4 hrs and thats was with no phone time, all of the wifi, bluetooth, 4g, and gps off. All i had used it for today was txt and google voice(more txt).

    I believe battery issues. What do you?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JonOvalle View Post
    I exchanged my epic for one of the same, the last one was having overheating problems but the battery wouldnt drain like the new one i received. also takes 3-4hrs to charge, which in my opinion is too long compared to the defective overheating one that only took about an hr and a half. They both had the update and I never took off the DRM thing. I have a feeling this is a Samsung battery issue. What do you guys think about this?
    Also. the new phone's battery is only lasting about 4 hrs and thats was with no phone time, all of the wifi, bluetooth, 4g, and gps off. All i had used it for today was txt and google voice(more txt).

    I believe battery issues. What do you?
    If it's a battery issue, killing DRM etc. fixed mine. I was draining so fast after the update, I was charging 2-3 times a day. I am almost at 15 hours fairly heavy use today and at 63% battery still. Good luck finding your issue. Maybe they will trade you out a 3rd.
  17. #17  

    Default

    It's not a battery issue.

    The phone not sleeping has nothing to do with the battery.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    If it's a battery issue, killing DRM etc. fixed mine. I was draining so fast after the update, I was charging 2-3 times a day. I am almost at 15 hours fairly heavy use today and at 63% battery still. Good luck finding your issue. Maybe they will trade you out a 3rd.
    Q.
    How long is yours taking you to charge?
  19. #19  

    Default

    Alright. Here goes the try. I killed the DRM and the DRMupdate thing. its 7:30 PM Easter Time. 100% blue LED. 3G connected everything that is WiFi, bluetooth, 4G, and GPS off.

    Lets see the outcome. Wish me luck!
  20. #20  

    Default

    I want to give Flynlow much credit for his finding on the DRM app and posting it on here.

    I had posted before in another thread on my poor battery life, even after killing the DRM application, toggling between airplane mode, and making sure 4G/WiFi was off.

    I took my phone yesterday to the Sprint corporate store, after calling tech support to document my issue with my phone battery and to setup an appointment at the store. They tested my phone and battery, and my phone test fine. My battery failed miserably. They gave me a new battery and were kind enough to call me, at my office, when my phone was ready for pick up. The battery was fully charged when I received my phone.

    I am pleased to report that after closing Media Hub and DRM app, as well as toggling the airplane mode on and off, I now get well over 12hrs+ of moderate to heavy usage(phone calls, email, texts, web surf) on my battery.

    So far today, I have been unplugged for 13hr 11min 35s and my battery stats are as follows;

    Voice Calls: 67% - 2hr 7m 1s
    Display: 22% - Time on 1h 47m 39s
    Cell Standby: 5% with Time without signal at 3%
    Phone Idle: 3%
    Bluetooth: 2% - time on 7h 19m 39s

    I now have 24% battery left.

    So have your phone and BATTERY tested.
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  
    nmoreman's Avatar

    Posts
    405 Posts
    Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    ROM
    aosp v41 (until he update

    Default

    flnlow, that was great of you to thank the engineers. Where were they, local or somewhere in Sprint.
    I have been to two service centers, I am the only one complaining. They will not change out my phone since they can find nothing wrong, smartphones suck battery, etc., with it within my 30 days. I was told the phone is too expensive for Sprint to trash, and I said it was too expensive for me to buy and keep since it went to hell after their update

    So I did a hard reset to see if something was conflicting, firmware maintained update. I am still sucking battery, so I'm timing the loss. Media Hub, DRM Stoage, and for some reason Sprint Hotspot (not signed up nor have used). Lost 40% in 5 hours with nothing on and light use.

    Tomorrow, I'm going to turn these off and document battery. I did lose my
    temper with the above comments, so if you say Sprint's Corporate Engineers are aware, I will probably carry my netbook in with my figures and ask for another phone. However, I'm concerned it might do the same . . . if it does, my husband's Evo is going 1.5 days on same setup, so might have to switch. Like mine better, but not living for chargers.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    I live within blocks of the Sprint headquarters in Overland Park, KS. I always use their on campus store since it's so close.

    To answer a previous question, there is no set length of time I charge my phone. Usually plug in when I go to bed around midnight. Unplug when the alarm goes off at 630. Last night went to bed at midnight, woke up at 100 when the screen came on when it was full charged, unplugged then.

    here are my stats now:

    battery 43%
    18hr 54min unplugged

    It has been working absolutely beautifully for me since the DRM kill. This is better than my blackberry batteries ever were and easily puts my Evo to shame.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    I live within blocks of the Sprint headquarters in Overland Park, KS. I always use their on campus store since it's so close.

    To answer a previous question, there is no set length of time I charge my phone. Usually plug in when I go to bed around midnight. Unplug when the alarm goes off at 630. Last night went to bed at midnight, woke up at 100 when the screen came on when it was full charged, unplugged then.

    here are my stats now:

    battery 43%
    18hr 54min unplugged

    It has been working absolutely beautifully for me since the DRM kill. This is better than my blackberry batteries ever were and easily puts my Evo to shame.
    Just curious Flynlow, what's your overall usage like with the phone??? I got 15hrs 23m unplugged and it was down to 1%, but I also had 2hr 45min of voice calls. This is far better than what I used to get before having Sprint replaced my battery yesterday.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Wow, @flynlow and all, thank you for all this incredibly helpful info. I just got my epic yesterday and have mostly enjoyed it, other than getting only a precious few hours on a charge. Looking forward to firing it up and making these fixes--when it FINALLY finishes charging (mine take a coon's age to charge, btw)--and hoping that it will give me the battery longevity you guys have begun enjoying. Cheers to that, and here's looking forward to the 3G upload fix (hopefully without borking our batteries with some other new glitch).

    Out of curiosity, I'm new to Sprint and new to Sammy. In you guys' experience, do you think we can expect to be pulling these bootleg solutions for the next two years, or will they roll out some healing goodness in the next month or two of OTAs?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    flynlow's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

    Default

    My overall usage as of now:

    disply 37%
    voice calls 33%
    cell standby 16%
    phone idle 11%
    android system 3%

    21hrs 54min 8sec unplugged
    29%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions