Sudden screen contrast and color depth issues?

funkypimp

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone experienced a sudden change in the appearance of images on the screen of their Epic? After unplugging my Epic from charing overnight, colors on the screen appear very washed out and banded. It looks as if the gamma correction has been turned way up and color depth turned down to 8 bit (256 color) or so.

I have adjusted screen brightness and this definitely does not help at all, and I cannot find settings to change screen contrast, gamma correction or color depth. Restarting the phone did not help either. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so did you find a fix?

My screen now looks really terrible which is particularly frustrating as the screen was one of two reasons I purchased this phone. I have searched high and low on the Internet, this forum, and other forums but I cannot find any solutions for my issue.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
If I were you and still within my 30 days from purchase I would exchange it. Playing with a screen problem may prove to be difficult and not produce any results.

funkypimp

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I am within 30 days so I have considered exchanging. It seems to me like purely a software issue though so I'm really hoping others have seen this and can chime in.

CozBoogie

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
What did you install just prior to the screen going wonky? I'd uninstall those and maybe do a clean wipe too....after backing up your info, etc.

late,
Coz

funkypimp

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
@Shadnic Yes, I did reboot, with no change.

@CozBoogie I don't remember what if anything I installed as I didn't expect any issues when I plugged the phone in for the night. Nothing stands out as unusual though. Just an update here and there.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
@Shadnic Yes, I did reboot, with no change.

@CozBoogie I don't remember what if anything I installed as I didn't expect any issues when I plugged the phone in for the night. Nothing stands out as unusual though. Just an update here and there.

If a hard reset doesn't work take it back.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

ghees_mail

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have notice that my screen settings change on their own. I don;t have it in auto brightness adjust I just have it set on a low brightness but sometimes as I am texting or doing something that has me touching the screen...the brightness will automatically adjust itself up then I have to go back into the screens settings and lower the brightness again. It happens at least once a day.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you touching the notification bar? The brightness can be adjusted by sliding your finger along the bar, and sometimes can be triggered on accident by those that aren't aware of this feature...

cwfranklin2

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The same thing happened to my Epic last night. I was doing some tweeting with TweetDeck and some messaging with LiveProfile, both of which I have had for more than a week. All of a sudden, I unlocked the screen and it went from rich, vibrant colors to this very bright, washed out screen with no color depth.

Unfortunately, I am outside of my 30 days and have had no issues with my Epic. I love this phone, but one of the reasons I love it is because of the screen.

I have never dropped it and it is in pristine condition. I really hope that I have a good customer experience when I try to go get this issue resolved today. And I hope they are able to resolve it quickly. I don't even want to look at the screen anymore... its such a turn off. LOL

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
You have a year. The 30 days applies to overall satisfaction with the phone and Sprint service, not hardware defects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech