Available Memory: Drops significantly throughout the day.

eriksseven

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So whenever I reboot my phone (usually after being OFF and charging overnight), the first thing I do (like most) is toggle into and out of AIRPLANE MODE, and then go into RUNNING SERVICES to disable the DRM.

After this, I tap my ATK widget which disables a ton of APPS (like 20-25ish)

Anyways, in the mornings (or whatever) my "free" memory is around 140M+, but as the day progresses, my "free" memory, even after repeatedly killing apps and stopping services is around 80-100M.

Currently when I tap my ATK button it says:

0 apps killed, 86M memory available.

Running Services says: AVAILABLE: 63MB + 99M... Other: 72MB in 5 services.

I'm not concerned to much about the NUMBERS, but specifically for the reason behind the DIFFERENCE between the numbers. This DIFFERENCE is being injected into my mind, because every time I tap my ATK widget (to disable apps/services) it shows the available memory--and it's radically different throughout the day--although ALWAYS getting lower as the day progresses.

I consider much memory to be good, and less memory to be bad. Please enlighten or feel free to add input!

yellowxboy

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry 8330 and 9630, I was always paranoid with checking my memory (multiple reboots daily). I too am wondering the same thing about memory. After a quick reboot on my epic, I have about 150mb free, with just 4 widgets on my 3 homescreens.. it drops down to about 50mb free (seems as if it doesn't drop any lower than that). I don't notice any performance issues on my phone (reguardless of 100mb or 50mb free) but yeah.. idk what is eating up all the memory. I killtask all the time as well and have the sync modes to once a day.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

FallNAngel

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not fully sure how the function of ATK works, but I *do* know just because you've exited an app doesn't mean the memory the app was using is freed. Linux generally keeps applications loaded into memory because there's no *need* to unload it. If that memory is later required, it's then fully released and used however it's needed. If the user instead runs that software again, it's already partially loaded into memory and loads faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781