Is TouchWiz that much faster than Sense UI? Why's the Epic much faster than the Evo?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I've used both the Epic and the Evo, and I've got to say that the Epic just feels so much faster. I'm wondering if this is due primarily to either A.) The Hummingbird vs the Snapdragon or B.) TouchWiz vs Sense UI.

A good example of the noticeable speed differences would be when scrolling through hundreds of contacts. On the Epic, I couldn't imagine it being any smoother. It is just so fluid. On the Evo, with the "People" app, while it's not slow, it just doesn't feel THAT fast.

It seems like the whole UI on the Evo feels slightly slower than the Epic's.

The Evo I used, by the way, had the latest OTA update, so that's 2.2 with the FPS fix.

So I guess I'm just wondering what is the big difference maker. If the Hummingbird that much better than the Snapdragon? Or is TouchWiz that much faster than Sense? Maybe a combination of both?

I'm interested in hearing others' thoughts.

Again, the Evo is plenty fast. It just doesn't feel quite as smooth or powerful as the Epic. With the Epic, it feels like the phone is performing everything with ease.

Any thoughts?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
No, no, no, not true in my case. Sense is right up there with Touchwiz and not one bit slower. I have both and they are equally smooth...until you run Nenamark1 (sorry Evo, gotta say you got destroyed this time :( )

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The EVOs I've tried were all noticeably slower than the EPIC when navigating around Adroid. The worst being the gallery app, zooming and pushing pictures.

I like my EPIC.

houkah

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the Epic is noticeably faster as well. I believe it's a combo of the hummingbird + the power vr gpu. A coworker and i compared an EVO and epic side by side launching the exact same apps. The epic was either the same speed or faster everytime (and this is vs a 2.2 evo).

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
In fact, the EVO was so sluggish navigating in Android, that I felt my 1st gen iPod Touch had a better user experience. The EPIC on the other hand is on par with the rest of the smart phones when it comes to UI smoothness.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
In fact, the EVO was so sluggish navigating in Android, that I felt my 1st gen iPod Touch had a better user experience. The EPIC on the other hand is on par with the rest of the smart phones when it comes to UI smoothness.

LOL'D My first gen ipod is comparable to like a commodore 64 slooooooooooooooow.....

But yes my gfs epic boots up way faster then my evo.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The Evo's that were tested and being sluggish and slow around Android were either messed up badly or you didn't test one with the fps fixed. My Evo is equally just as smooth and fast as any Epic I ever tried.

LOL'D My first gen ipod is comparable to like a commodore 64 slooooooooooooooow.....

But yes my gfs epic boots up way faster then my evo.

This would be entirely impossible considering 2.1 boots up about 15-20 seconds slower then Froyo. The Evo boots up faster, it's been tested, but that was because it has Froyo.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The fact is that Qualcomm makes an inferior processor. Any processor out there is faster than a Qualcomm. Especially Hummingbird.

Epic is much faster. I can't wait until it gets 2.2 when we really see its power. I had the Evo for three months, and now I have the Epic. Taught me never to buy Qualcomm ever again.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the only thing the Epic beat the Evo in was graphics. According to some benchmarks I watched and videos showing loading times. The Evo was better in CPU processing... At times par on some things. Enough of your mislead knowledge on Qualcomm processors.

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the only thing the Epic beat the Evo in was graphics. According to some benchmarks I watched and videos showing loading times. The Evo was better in CPU processing... At times par on some things. Enough of your mislead knowledge on Qualcomm processors.

the reason the evo has better loading times right now is because of 2.2

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
the reason the evo has better loading times right now is because of 2.2

It's not all 2.2... Both have been benchmarked in many videos and both the Snapdragon and Hummingbird were super close in CPU performance. We are not talking GPU... We are talking strictly CPU processing, which both are very on par.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Synthetic benchmarks don't have much value because they aren't accurately testing the hardware's real world performance. So many times have I seen synthetic benchmarks show results that were far from accurate. I have seen gpus and cpus test slower then other cpus and gpus in a benchmark but in real world similar tests they are actually faster.

Let's all put this arguement to sleep. The hummingbird may be ever so slightly faster then the snap dragon, but in real world tasks they are way to close to say one is noticeably faster then the other. I have used both and I can tell you the only thing that will make one seem faster then the other is how the phone is setup and what software is installed and how it is configured. The only true way is to take 2 identical phones with the exact same hardware, minus cpu, and the exact same software (all the apks from the same source) setup exactly the same. Even then there are too many variables that could contaminate results.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

njbianco#AC

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
It's not all 2.2... Both have been benchmarked in many videos and both the Snapdragon and Hummingbird were super close in CPU performance. We are not talking GPU... We are talking strictly CPU processing, which both are very on par.

The epic gets higher linpack scores then the evo did with 2.1(obviously not with 2.2). I own both phones and I've done a lot of benchmarks on both I have found the epic all around has a better CPU not just GPU.(I love both phones equally I'm not trying to defend the epic)

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I like both phones, as well. My issue is trying to decide which one to choose. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, obviously. And it is sounding like the Epic simply has more horsepower.

Obviously, the Evo is still more than adequate. It doesn't mean the Evo is underpowered or obsolete. It simply may be that the Epic is a little more future-proofed.

Both are great phones, though, which is why I'm having a hard time deciding which one to settle down with!

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Another area where the difference is very apparent is looking at the calendar, particularly the agenda view. For some strange reason, this is choppy/stuttery on the Evo, but the Epic's version is just beautiful -- smooth, fast, and all.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have both in my family, both stock and the same apps, so this is a good test.

In my unprofessional, unscientific tests, meaning pushing buttons and opening apps in daily use, the Epic wins, is smoother, and more fluid.

This coming from Palm and appreciating the smoothness of WebOs. I didn't like Evo and Sense, loving the Epic and Touchwiz. And believe it will fly when updated.

Is there a huge difference? No, both are great, so for a change, its nice to have a personal choice. I like the Epic, even with smaller screen, due to size and fit (and do not use keyboard, would love small form factor without it).

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
We have both and the Epic is in no way faster. Now in some cases it's much prettier, but it's not any faster, even in agenda view of the calendar. Mine has never stuttered in the Evo.