Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Palm Pre Sprint to Epic 4g

I am a current palm pre sprint user but am strongly thinking about the Sprint Samsung epic 4g

I would like much better access to my google gmail when not at home--I have a lot I need to search and the intergraton on the pre is not so great (neither is the built in mail app which always seems to crash my phone!)

Any opinions from people that already made the switch?

David

i made the switch and i have no regrets. the epic is just lightning quick compared to the pre. not to mention the bigger super AMOLED screen, auto-focusing 5 mp camera, and 720p video recording. the battery life is significantly better than pre as well.

what i miss about my pre,
    swipe gestures,
    cards,
    patching,
    notifications.

also, i was very happy to find that tethering is easy to get working on the epic, and signal quality is noticeably better.

i would recommend the switch. there are alot of other awesome things, like google navigation, and the google voice app works beautifully on android.

I made the switch about a month ago and overall I'm much happier with the Epic. There will be things you'll miss (multitasking, app managment, etc) but the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. I'm not being a "search first" nazi (I hate people who insult noobies with that crap) but there is at least 1 really good thread discussing the positives and negatives of switching from the Epic to the Pre that you will definitely want to read...so search the forum for that. Good luck with your transition to Android...you'll likely love it.

I switched Friday, my coworker/buddy Palm Pre holdout with me, came to work with the Epic Saturday after about 5 minutes of talking and trying out my phone, it's that much better. I do agree you will miss the true multitasking, and some of the simple things like swiping to delete an item, but the overall OS is so much better imo.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Came from a pre and not looking back at all.
    xtn

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

I hung on to my Pre with fierce loyalty for over a year before it finally succumbed to touching itself all over the screen, making it nearly impossible to use. I was nervous when I picked up my new Epic, worried about leaving the beauty that is webOS.

It took about 24 hours for me to forget all that. The Epic is way better than the Pre. Like, way way better.

I do miss a few things about the webOS experience like the UI, email, synergy, etc., where Android just isn't as elegant as others have pointed out... but not so much that I would trade back. Just take the time to get used to Android and I found that it's pretty dang decent in its own right. Just different, that's all. And the phone is sooooo much better.
    Eric Stewart - http://ericdives.com/
    For my Android experiences, see my Android related blog posts
    Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Blackberry 8703e > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry 9630 > Palm Pre > Samsung Epic 4G

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet423 View Post
    I am a current palm pre sprint user but am strongly thinking about the Sprint Samsung epic 4g

I would like much better access to my google gmail when not at home--I have a lot I need to search and the intergraton on the pre is not so great (neither is the built in mail app which always seems to crash my phone!)

Any opinions from people that already made the switch?

David
    IMO the email client on the Palm Pre runs circles around anything you can find for the Epic 4G. Also the calendar on the Pre is so much better and polished. Funny that the most important applications for a smartphone suck on Android for some strange reason. I think as soon as Palm releases another device I will be getting it.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS ICS v4

i was unsure when i switched to the epic from the pre but after about 2 weeks now i am glad it made the switch and unless palm makes some big upgrades to the hardware and available apps in the next year or so i probably wont switch back soon. the only thing i really miss is the way palm did multitasking with the cards but im getting use to doing that in android along with the other changes here and there. the biggest improvements for me are the available apps and i dont have to patch the phone to change a setting since they are already there in android.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

I too am another Palm Convert..

Epic performance blows away the Pre & most other smart phones.

What Android seems to lack that I miss on my Pre is that Polished integration of Gmail /& Google Calendar. However after using Androids Calendar I have found that i don't mind it as much. I still shows agenda view with different Calendar colors.

The gmail app is horrible on android. I do not like thew view or the way it functions on the Epic, however it syncs quicker and send/receives mail almost instantly.

Another thing I notice is even the calendar & contacts seems to sync faster on the Epic. I no longer experience duplicate entries when I enter stuff on the Epics Google calendar or in my Google profile contacts.

The Pre is very polished, clean UI.So Far I haven't found anything that matches the pre's multitasking. However even though the Cards feature on Pre is clean and easy to use/manage. Apps still are running in the background after being swiped off the screen. With Android there is a built in task manager once you quit a task it Quoits it! You can manage your apps and system Apps and know exactly what is slowing down your system or using the most CPU resources. More control = better performance.

Android is more powerful gives the user more control and I would rather better performance so that is why i stick with Android.

WebOs is nice I think it is the perfect Smartphone for those who really don't need a Full featured powerful Smartphone. My Wife Loves the Pre, uses for texting, email and calendar.

So I think It comes down to what type of user you are. The pre is functional and great for casual users. However if you see yourself needing advanced functionality Then Android is the answer.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010