4G in a non-4G coverage area..?

yellowxboy

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Just like the title says.. 4G in a non-4G coverage area?

I got my Epic on 9/01/2010 and after setting everything up, I decided for fun to toggle the 4G and of course, it didn't connect since I am not within range of the 4G coverage.

I was bored last night and decided to toggle the 4G again.. but this time.. it actually connected! I thought i was dreaming so i did it again this morning and it connected again. I live about 20 minutes away from Disneyland (Anaheim, ca) and that is nowhere near where Sprint has 4G coverage. I only got 1 bar but I did manage to do a speedtest last night. The results were a bit mixed. I got about 3-5mb download and 700-1mb upload speed. Obviously thats too quick for 3G but seems a bit low for 4G. My wifi was NOT on (on wifi i get about 11mb download and 1-2mb upload)

Anyways, here are the screen shots. I do not mind if anybody pops my bubble here.. i just found it a bit strange that I have 4G coverage here. I even double/tripled checked Sprint's 4G coverage map and yeah..

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of "testing" areas for places that are coming soon. I get 4g at my girlfriends house in ft lauderdale, which isn't even on the upcomming cities for this year.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just like the title says.. 4G in a non-4G coverage area?

I got my Epic on 9/01/2010 and after setting everything up, I decided for fun to toggle the 4G and of course, it didn't connect since I am not within range of the 4G coverage.

I was bored last night and decided to toggle the 4G again.. but this time.. it actually connected! I thought i was dreaming so i did it again this morning and it connected again. I live about 20 minutes away from Disneyland (Anaheim, ca) and that is nowhere near where Sprint has 4G coverage. I only got 1 bar but I did manage to do a speedtest last night. The results were a bit mixed. I got about 3-5mb download and 700-1mb upload speed. Obviously thats too quick for 3G but seems a bit low for 4G. My wifi was NOT on (on wifi i get about 11mb download and 1-2mb upload)

Anyways, here are the screen shots. I do not mind if anybody pops my bubble here.. i just found it a bit strange that I have 4G coverage here. I even double/tripled checked Sprint's 4G coverage map and yeah..

That is a good sign. It means they are testing 4G in your area, so you weren't imagining things =P

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Just means it's coming. I was showing off the phone this weekend while visiting OC and had a similar experience (much to my surprise).