Battery: Zero to hero

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to share my experience because I know a lot of people are taking their phones in and buying new batteries because they think that theirs is bad for whatever reason. My battery had "all" the symptoms people on this forum have described for bad batteries. I mean in 3-8 hours my phone would be dead. Even in my pocket the battery would drain by a % just every few minutes. I followed all the rules and guidelines to manage battery life...but it didn't really make a huge difference.

I have NOT gotten the most recent update I'd just like to point out, but at some point, everything came together and my battery life skyrocketed. I think setting wifi sleep policy to never is what really fixed it.

Yesterday, from morning till bed with moderate texting, frequent data usage, "at least" an hour of gaming, few pictures taken, several short voice calls, and lots of just general playing around with the phone, I pulled out a marvelous 19 hours and 35 minutes of battery life (down to 5%). It's been around that number the past few days, but yesterday was the first time I really decided to see how long it would last.

Just to list everything:
-Airplane mode toggled on boot to reset radio
-ATK used to close all unnecessary apps "at boot", then closed for the rest of the day because it too uses battery
-DRM, Media hub, and any other app processes that are completely unnecessary (like dictionary.com) killed
-Wifi sleep policy set to "never"
-Wifi on all the time when I'm at home, then toggled off whenever I leave
-I keep the brightness down as low as it goes because it looks plenty bright to me. On that note, if any app I use has a "dark" or "black" theme, I use it because it's better on the battery, and I love the black levels on this screen.
- I don't use a live wallpaper right now, but I don't think they're too much of a drain

So give some of these a shot before taking your phone in to get checked out. I thought my battery was just a dud previously. I was never planning on exchanging it, but I did almost buy a new battery.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Why waste time on playing around with settings to get good battery life when the most recent update will give you that automatically?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Those are great tips. I have been doing those since day 1 and haven't had any battery issues.

I also check the running services every now and then to kill anything that has automatically restarted.

I run Pixel Zombie live wallpaper all day and it only uses about 7% of the battery so I dont worry about live wallpapers too much.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Airplane mode is a godsend. I'm a student and I really shouldn't text, receive calls, or anything when I'm on campus all day. I play games now and then during study breaks. I had a pretty long call yesterday- 45 minutes I'd say, and I texted a little, checked Twitter a little, turned Airplane Mode off every now and then to get emails, and I only used 31% of the battery ALL DAY. I also make sure to have Wifi on when I'm at home or at school (when Airplane Mode is off) because it's also a godsend.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure what I am doing wrong then. My battery will last about 8 hours, and I really don't think that I use it that heavily. I've tried some of the things that people have mentioned but it doesn't really seem to help. This morning I played a 4 hour round of golf and when I had finished I got the low battery warning.

Love the phone, but right now this battery is worse than what I could get out of my Pre, and that wasn't great either.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Also, is conditioning needed on these batteries after a hard reset or after an updtae like this? I have actually just started to get decent battery life now and I think it's due to me keeping my screen brightness all the way down.