Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Default Software update question

I purchased my EPIC at launch and have not received an update yet (I am on DG17). As I understand it we are now on a second round of updates. I have tried the "update firmware" option buried in the settings and the phone seems to think I am up to date. Is there anyway to force this handset to actually find the required updates that are avail? I see that people have posted links to manual updates; however I am afraid that if I do any of those I will have to continue to update this way in the future. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Ouch...DG17? As in, before DG27 AND DI07?
    You have two options (one is easier than the other):

1) Manually update to DG27 --> DI07, then wait till DI18 comes your way (or manually update that too).
    2) If you can't find the DG27 update (which my 2 seconds of googling didn't turn up), follow the links below to flash your phone to stock "DG27"

[How To] Return to Stock / Fix Bricked Epic - xda-developers

Grab Odin, the .pit file, and the full DG27 .tar file from the links on xda, then follow the directions. This is obviously much more involved, so if you want to keep all your settings (since this will wipe your phone completely), I would advise rooting, downloading Titanium Backup, backing up all programs and system data, flashing using Odin and the procedure above, then wait for the updates to get pushed, then re-root, and install Titanium backup again, and restore all. If you want to get rid of root (if you like that full-stock feeling, follow the link directly below)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=770388
    The very bottom of the first post has the unrooter link

If you don't want to wait for the OTA updates, go to:
    [Oct. 5, 2010] ***OFFICIAL*** SPH-D700-DI18-8Gb-REL.tar.md5 - xda-developers

for the newest DI18 .tar file.

PM/reply if you need more help
    Last edited by mooshubob; 10-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

So if I find DG27, DI07 and DI18 I can manually update them, but have to do them in order?

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    ROM
    Official EB13 Rooted

From Samsung Epic:9/16 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release...

"- Your device must be on software version DG27 to perform the update to DI07. UPDATE: If you are on any version prior to DI07, a Sprint Service and Repair Center should be able to update your device."

My guess is that Samsung/Sprint only pushes the latest version of an update at a time. Since you need DG27, and that was 2 versions ago, you need to go into a Sprint store to get your phone updated. Flashing your phone to DG27 (or DI07) as mooshobob described is your next best bet.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

Yes. If you decide to do it manually (don't waste your time going places), make sure it's in order. It won't work otherwise.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Have you removed any apk's from your phones /system/app directory? If not manually update in order. Download the zip files and rename them to update.zip and put on the root of the sdcard and boot into recovery. Then do the apply update from sdcard option and it will update your phone. Only takes a few minutes per update.

As for why it doesn't update on its own I cannot help there yet. I want to look into why so many phones aren't updating ota like it should but I just don't have the time for the newest update.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by sphinxx View Post
    Have you removed any apk's from your phones /system/app directory? If not manually update in order. Download the zip files and rename them to update.zip and put on the root of the sdcard and boot into recovery. Then do the apply update from sdcard option and it will update your phone. Only takes a few minutes per update.

As for why it doesn't update on its own I cannot help there yet. I want to look into why so many phones aren't updating ota like it should but I just don't have the time for the newest update.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Yes, it is really important to have everything stock. The update will immediately fail if anything's out of the ordinary. Although, I have not heard a situation in which the system refuses to search or find an update. I suggest you just "Odin" that superphone and all will be well.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

It's probably not updating OTA because he didn't get the DG27 update at launch, and they're not signing/releasing that one anymore (OTA). Without DG27, you're kinda sunk
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

You will lose all your info on the phone with odin, but since you've has the phone only a short period of time, all you're missing out on is the sms, which can be backed up and restored with apps in the market

So if you manually update to the latest release, you need to do all the previous versions as well? (I bought my Epic this weekend and am on DG17 too)

ROM
    Stock

Yeah,you need to do each update or flash the entire rom using odin (not rooted)
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Just an update, I flashed to DG27 as mooshubob suggested with the ODIN method. As soon as it booted it searched for a software update and loaded DI07 on its own. It then rebooted itself and after the power cycle did another search for an update, to which it found DI18 and updated itself again. So it seemed all I needed to do was get it past the DG17 that it was stuck on and it did the rest.

So thanks to all who helped and got me on the right track. Now everything is as it seems and any future updates should just automatically flag on my device...

Quote Originally Posted by zeropcs View Post
    Just an update, I flashed to DG27 as mooshubob suggested with the ODIN method. As soon as it booted it searched for a software update and loaded DI07 on its own. It then rebooted itself and after the power cycle did another search for an update, to which it found DI18 and updated itself again. So it seemed all I needed to do was get it past the DG17 that it was stuck on and it did the rest.

So thanks to all who helped and got me on the right track. Now everything is as it seems and any future updates should just automatically flag on my device...

Awesome. Thanks for the followup.
    Just did the same... mine didn't get the update notification (manually checked too), though. Will wait a little bit, I guess. At least the odin method is easy...

Ha. Just looked and it was already downloading. Spoke too soon!

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Default Just got the Epic last night....

....am on DG17 as well. No updates found. Got it at Radio Shack.

I'm techy, but at the moment, I am in school full time and a BUSY mom and I don't have time to mess with this the way I did with my Pre...can I just go into a Sprint Store and they can flash it for me?

Or do I have to manually update this bizzatch? I'd much rather just swing by the store on my way to class tonight, lol.

Edit:

LOL NM. Just re-read the thread and noticed the answer to my question in BRIGHT RED LETTERS. D'oh.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

If I do the updates, does that completely remove everything on my phone?
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Why can't they make a desktop updater. Or internet updater as well. I don't like the ota stuff

Samsung has a company-internal software updater, it's called Odin. I've used it multiple times - it's great. I plan on using it again to flash official Froyo because I don't like waiting for OTA updates.