WiFi on in Airplane Mode?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No radios can be turned on in Airplane Mode, be it WiFi, 3G or 4G. The entire point of Airplane Mode is to stop your phone from sending out any signals that could interfere with an airplane's navigation/communication equipment.

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
but planes have wifi now so thats why he is prob asking

Yes, you can. When you turn on the Airplane mode, it switches off your WiFi, but you can then re-enable WiFi, leaving you in WiFi only mode.

I can verify this also. I was on a wifi enable Southwest flight the other day from Chicago-Denver, and this was the process I had to follow. I only booted back up in airplane mode with wifi to see what the charge was going to be. Although it was only $7 for the flight, I opted to conserve precious battery life instead.

If your curious if your Southwest flight will have wifi or not, simply look at your plane - if it has a "hump" on top of the fuselage (sp) approx. 5-10 feet in front of the tail section, then your plane will be wifi equipped. Southwest uses a satellite based system, while other airlines tend to use ground based systems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20