Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it possible to get a "virus" on an Android device?

Sorry for the noob question, but this is my first Android device? If so, what can I do to protect myself? Thanks!

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Lookout offers virus protection (as well as data backup and phone finder)

https://www.mylookout.com/

I'm not sure how easy it is to get a virus on your android phone, but I use Lookout, just in case.

You should still be careful about what you download, though.
    Android Enthusiast

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts
    ROM
    SKAnkCM10/Milestone6

No. Android phones are linux based. Impossible to get a virus from a pc. However, though it will not effect your phone but if you where carrying an effected mp3 file and plugged your phone in to charge like at work, the computer could get infected.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JkdJedi View Post
    No. Android phones are linux based. Impossible to get a virus from a pc. However, though it will not effect your phone but if you where carrying an effected mp3 file and plugged your phone in to charge like at work, the computer could get infected.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    It may be impossible to get a Windows virus from your PC, but that doesn't mean that Android is immune to viruses in general. Someone, in theory, could make an Android specific virus. It doesn't even have to be a true virus, it could just be an application that secretly steals your contact data and starts sending spam (which is why you need to be careful about the apps you download).

Lastly, while Linux is significantly better than Windows when it comes to viruses and exploits, there are still ways to compromise linux and go after sensitive data. Heck, Android Central even published an article a few weeks ago about how Android stores passwords in the clear, and rooted phones are vulnerable to malicious apps harvesting all your stored passwords.

http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ted-clear-text

There are plenty of reasons to want to be cautious.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Yes, but highly unlikely.

Viruses are unlikely, but trojans are a threat that will start to ramp up as the (smartphone) market expands. Be careful of what apk files you install manually, and guard your root access with something like superuser.apk.