Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default Greetings - new to android pre user

Hello all.

I went to get an Epic for the wife and I today and I was two days short and will have to go back. Wifey got hers and WOW! She never had a smart phone before and is in heaven.

I have a pre and love webos but I dont see a competitive phone for some time sooo Im switching and giving android a chance . From what Ive seen its pretty cool. Im not a Pre power user so I guess any of the reported "differences may not be an issue. Any suggestions former pre people?

Welcome to the Android army recruit... i'm a former Pre owner although I don't have an epic I have and Evo and left the Pre on launch day but still visit the site. Doesn't look like the Pre 2 is going to cut it with the same old design and a spec bump.

I say go into your epic and android with an open mind...this is not webos, no cards or swyping and it doesn't look or mutitask as elegant (whatever) but it gets the job done you just got to give it a chance an take the time to learn it and set it up to suit you. I've had my Evo over 4 months and i'm still learning new things...its hard to put this phone down, I'm loving it.

I recommend you go to appbrain.com on your computer and then install the app on you phone from the market it makes it easier to go through all the apps and sync them to the phone.

This sites a little different then precentral.com due to all the different models of phones...each phone has its own little section plus there are general sections that apply to all.

You should be getting an update to 2.2 soon that will enable flash and other improvements.

Well good luck with your Epics hope you like it beyond your 30 days...me I could never go back to that little screen on the Pre.
    Last edited by kinster02; 10-16-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Balzak 

Switched from Pre 2 weeks ago to the Epic andhonestly, the thing I struggled with the most was, the physical size of the Epic vs the Pre. It took some time getting used to having a larger object in my pocket, whether it is a front pocket or cargo pocket.
    Thanked by:
    Balzak 

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Default Pre to Android

I was a long time palm user, recent Android convert from the Pre.

I have to say I had no regrets moving to android.

The Notifications on Android although not as elegant as The Pre are more customizable.
    The Only thing i miss about the Pre.. is Dr. Podder. So far I have not found a podcast/net-cast catcher on Android that functions as cleanly as Dr. Podder does.

Some Apps you will definitely want to get to enhance your experience coming from a Pre..

Handent- IM has customizations for notifications ( customizable with sound and icon for individual contacts.)
    Launcher Pro +: this allows you to change the default dock/launcher apps as well as icons.. And with Launcher Pro+ you can have 3 docks with 5 quick launch apps.
    Meridian 0r Mixzing Media Player: both support swiping to advance tracks or fwd/reverse. You can also edit album art.

Doggcatcher: Podcast catchger: as close as you will get to Dr. podder.
    Google Listen: Podcatcher.. Does ok job, a bit buggy, I have to use this one to listen to Buzz Out Loud. Doggcatcher is NOT able to stream CNET's Buzz Out Loud podcast..Not sure why as Google listen seems to stream it just fine...

Barcode scanner or Google Shooper/goggles: barcode scanner also scans QR codes. must have for any Android device. Pre never supported this functionality.

Picsay: Photo editing
    Mvideo Player: highly functional Video player
    Seesmic twitter app: twitter App. This one seems to have the most features built in for a free version
    Ringdroid: Ring tone editor on your phone
    Task manager/Killer: Built in one does the Job fine with no compatibility issues, (Long press on Home key) As an Android user you will use this a lot. The Pre had a nice way of quitting Apps by swiping cards away, But as a Pre user you know that swiping cards away didn't always kill apps from running in the background( "too many cards error").. Android task manager allows the user control of each app and lets you manage and kill those that are running in the background and hogging system resources
    Games:
    Angry Birds- Vengeful birds attacking greedy swine..
    The Moran test: Highly addictive game tests intelligence reading comprehension & patience. Fun great to show co workers or family
    Fruit Ninja- slicing fruit.. very simple yet addictive
    Paper Toss- simple but decent time waster
    Blow up
    Jewels- Bejeweled like game
    Spaghetti Marshmallows- constructing vs destructing
    Talking Tom- much like iPhone taking Karl. A tom cat repeats everything you say in a funny voice.
    Last edited by addie_goodvibes; 10-17-2010 at 11:08 PM.
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010
    Thanked by:
    Balzak 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys! Ive been playing with my wifes all day. By the time I get mine Tesday I should have it wired!

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

I'm another Pre to Epic user.

Google Listen for podcasts
    Twicca for Twitter
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

Cousin has a Pre with mods beyond any of your imaginations, wants an Android phone, 'nuf said, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by caliskimmer View Post
    Cousin has a Pre with mods beyond any of your imaginations, wants an Android phone, 'nuf said, lol.
    I seriously doubt the beyond my imagination, but that may have something to do with the fact I am a webos dev and have contributed to webos-internals in the past

As It stands right now, I have the Epic 4G as my main phone and I absolutely hate it and would like nothing more to go back to my Sprint Pre Plus (yes, plus. Swapped the com boards with a VZW Pre Plus I got at Palm's Developer Days)

Love the hardware, but Android just pisses me off to no end. I can definitely see the appeal of android, its just not for me. But, alas I'm stuck with it for the next little while until a new Sprint tower goes up near me.

Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Froyo DK28

Quote Originally Posted by halfhalo View Post
    I seriously doubt the beyond my imagination, but that may have something to do with the fact I am a webos dev and have contributed to webos-internals in the past

As It stands right now, I have the Epic 4G as my main phone and I absolutely hate it and would like nothing more to go back to my Sprint Pre Plus (yes, plus. Swapped the com boards with a VZW Pre Plus I got at Palm's Developer Days)

Love the hardware, but Android just pisses me off to no end. I can definitely see the appeal of android, its just not for me. But, alas I'm stuck with it for the next little while until a new Sprint tower goes up near me.

What is it about The Epic you hate & Android that "pisses you off to no end"?

Just curious....
    Please add thanks if I have helped you in anyway. I will always spread the Aloha and reciprocate.
    Samsung Epic; Froyo DK28
    Carrier Sprint since 1998
    Palm Pilot 1997 + Nokia 7650,8200, Palm Treo 700p 2005, Palm Pre June 2009, Sayonara Palm. Android Sept. 2010

I multitask like crazy, and coming from webos and its cards its much harder to switch apps quickly and easily on android than it was on webos. Same thing with notifications, I just feel they are clunky compared to webos.

Now I'm not trying to say that Android is a horrible platform (I think in general it is a great one), I'm trying to say that for me as an individual user its crap for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by halfhalo View Post
    But, alas I'm stuck with it for the next little while until a new Sprint tower goes up near me.
    If you are waiting for a Sprint tower to go up so you can jump back to your Pre, how in the world is your Epic working?

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    ROM
    SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    If you are waiting for a Sprint tower to go up so you can jump back to your Pre, how in the world is your Epic working?
    My Epic gets quite a bit better coverage than my Pre ever did. (live in a rural area so I've tested them both quite well on signal strength)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    My house has crap sprint coverage. With the Pre, I would have to wander outside during a phone call and attempt to find a spot where I could clearly hear the other person. With the Epic, I just have to find one spot and then it works throughout the phone call.

(Sidenote: For some reason the epic can sometimes lock onto a 4G signal in my front yard Though... No 3G, just 4G)