Welcome to the Samsung Epic 4G! Please introduce yourselves here.

knife-edge

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
hello

Hello everyone!

I am from Minnesota and work in Haiti. I only use my epic 4g on Airplane mode here because it's too expensive to roam. Can't wait any longer for 2.2, so i think I will install Midnight rom.

Take care.

Knife-edge

gyoung345

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Greg Young here. Long time listener first time caller. Convert from the HTC Touch Pro (WinMo 6.1). The Epic is everything the Touch Pro wasn't.

I was into custom ROMs for the Touch Pro but haven't yet done anything with the Epic. I will probably go that route soon.

fbcregan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Palm loyalist new to Android

So after buying a Palm Pre on day 1, I finally gave up and bought an Epic. I didn't want to wait another 6 months for a new Palm phone, and loved the Epic's hardware. After using it for a couple of weeks, I love it. I still miss webOS, and like it better, the hardware and apps more than make up for it.

A little about me (if you care): My name is Regan, and I'm a pastor in southeast Iowa. I have a wife with two boys and a third on the way in April. I love technology and stay glued to Engadget, Precentral.net, and now AndroidCentral.com. I love to use technology in my ministry and my new Epic helps me do that a lot. If you're interested, our church website is First Baptist Church of Mount Pleasant, Iowa

I chose the Epic mostly because of the screen, processor, and camera. The keyboard is also nice, but not a dealbreaker. I love all of the apps and widgets are pretty nice too. I really miss the multitasking on webOS. It is not nearly as good on Android. But I am really happy with the phone and am excited to learn more about Android and all the things I can do with it. I noticed that hacking it is much more difficult than webOS. I had my Pre overclocked, patched up, and loved the simplicity of that.

Thanks for all the great info here on the forums. I'm looking forward to learning more and for Froyo/Gingerbread to come to the Epic someday.

Regan

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your new phones.... it wont be long before you forget about the Palm, Blackberry and Win OS....also an ex BB & CB user here.... any questions, ask away. Welcome to AC!

tsutlick

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Agonizing over this decision... Epic, Evo, or Shift?

Hi, I'm new here, but may become a regular if I choose the Epic 4G for my upgrade next month. ;)

As you can see from my signature, I'm an HTC Hero user... rooted, ROM'd, & themed. I really, truly like the Hero... it's been a great phone. Sadly, it's dated, very slow by today's standards, and the time has come to retire it.

My wife has an Evo. Nice phone... pretty quick. Not a huge fan of the "squarish" shape, though. The Evo Shift isn't bad, either... if you can get past the missing FFC & smaller 3.6" screen. Now... on to "the meat & potatoes"....

I've liked the Epic since it's release. I'm sure many of you will agree it's a gorgeous phone (shape, keyboard, display...).

My dilemma is this: I keep reading about defective units, lack of support, & cheap build quality. Is this the general concensus, or have I simply been finding the worst possible reviews/comments? I really like this phone's features (especially the display - WOW!), so I want to give it a fair shake against it's HTC counterparts.

Anybody care to weigh in & help me decide?

Thanks!

tsutlick

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I used to own a couple of BlackBerry sites, themes4bb and pimpmyberry. I've since sold the sites and moved on. I'd like to learn how to make themes for the droid phones, but its not as easy as the point and click that theme maker ever was...so I'm going to leave that to the experts.

Hi steveninstl,

I've spent a bit of time on xda-developers.com to do what I've done to my Hero. I obviously don't know if you've ever ventured over there, but I think everyone will agree it's a wealth of information. I'd even go out on a limb & call it the #1 Android development community on the web. The reason I'm replying to you: after seeing your last post, I'd hate for your talents to NOT be put to good use here in the Android community! :)

If you like, check out the following links at xda-developers.com to help you decide if you'd like to start developing/theming. ;)

This link is to a post that has a lot of other links in it about various subjects including rooting, ADB, & theming, etc.
This link leads to the main Android Themes forum - LOTS of info here!

Hope to see you around! :)

zukboy

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
New to the epic/droid world. Just left VZW after 15yrs, just couldn't keep paying out that kind of money anymore. Sort of a tech but new to this world of Android. Love it so far. I am a former Win Phone nut, but i love the apps on my epic so far.

scoots77

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hola Epic World,

Well the epic is my first non treo phone since way earlier this decade. I got it for the keyboard and never even use the thing due to swype. I've just rooted and gone for the trulyepic Rom with a bunch of the gadgets listed on that page. This thing is awesome now, I love every second of it. I wasn't happy with the phone prior to Trulyepic, but now I'm a believer.

The community reminds me of old Palm stuff, back in the day when I had apps before app stores existed. Hopefully android can hold onto the market and not fail like palm.

You programmers rock, keep up the good work!

Onyx Panthyr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone! :)

I've been deciding what I want to do with my next phone upgrade and have been strongly leaning towards an Epic (currently on a purple LG Lotus which I really do love, but it's time for something new). I ran across a mention of ragnarokx and the name of these forums on some random web article and surfed over here. After reading through the wealth of up to date information, I decided to join the forums.

I don't completely grasp all of this android stuff (yet) with CWM, rooting, ROMs, etc, so I'm sure if I take the plunge I'm going to have lots of questions, so please bear with me. I love to customize the hell out of my stuff though, so I'm probably going to want to attempt rooting. The TrulyEpic and midNIGHT ROMs are really grabbing my interest...

It's truly wonderful to see how helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable so many of the people here are!

~jenn
:)

(disclaimer: my apologies for frantic posts should I screw something up if I take the plunge... *lol* ;) )

CirrusDriver

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful people on this forum. Is it bad that within 6 hours of picking up my phone yesterday I was rooted, EXT4 and up and running with Trulyepic? The developers on this forum rock.

Last edited:

tbonedr

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Please accept me! I've been reading for months!

New to the boards. Have had the Epic since launch day, and got Froyo envey from coworkers who have droid 2's and Evo's I am a recovering crackberry addict, which is why I chose the epic over the EVO. Thinking I "needed" a keyboard. got my epic over to DK28 last night and did the GPS fix. Looking for the next move... :cool:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
New to the boards. Have had the Epic since launch day, and got Froyo envey from coworkers who have droid 2's and Evo's I am a recovering crackberry addict, which is why I chose the epic over the EVO. Thinking I "needed" a keyboard. got my epic over to DK28 last night and did the GPS fix. Looking for the next move... :cool:

You've been accepted.... it's about time you came out...... from hiding ;)

Reactions: tbonedr

snoopy1e11

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Wat up I got da epic but its not really as great as ppl make it out to be I wna give it up 4 da Evo shift but sprint wit the **** talkin $400 anyway wat yal think
Snoopy1e11

tsutlick

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wat up I got da epic but its not really as great as ppl make it out to be I wna give it up 4 da Evo shift but sprint wit the **** talkin $400 anyway wat yal think
Snoopy1e11

If you got your Epic on a new contract, and you haven't had it over 30 days, you should be eligible to return it for a different phone for a fee of $35 (I'm pretty sure of the figure).

If you've had it longer than that, I don't have an answer for you. I've never used the return policy, so I have no personal experience with it. I read it recently on Sprint's website because I'm debating between two different phones for my upgrade next month.

Good luck!

**EDIT**

Here's a link to Sprint's return policy.

Last edited:

snoopy1e11

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk cuz I cant wait on this froyo but me not havin a cpu my epic slow as hell I cant lagfix it and dat ext2 dont really fix the lag thats y I dnt really want it no more. I hav had it more den 30 days. I cnt get custom roms or nothin dats y if u dnt hav a cpu the epic is not a good phone for u cuz z4root doesnt evn work on DK28

ZygoFractal

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I joined because I want to get the most out of my Epic. I've had it since October, and I've been nothing but pleased with it (except battery life, but I guess that's to be expected).

I got tired, though, of the back-and-forth game between Samsung and Sprint about the upgrade to 2.2, so I went ahead and rooted - I'm running TrulyEpic right now and loving it. When I was running stock 2.1, I had "why can't I do this?" moment after "why isn't this allowed?" moment... Now, my only question is "*How* do I do this?"...

Anyway... looking forward to learning a thing or two, and giving back to the community :)

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
'sup, everybody cool? Nextel, then Sprint. Carried those PTT never knowing much about data services till my better part wanted a "color screen" but she nor I ever did much with the extras. With me even getting the i58sr and GPS, still nothing. The non-intelligentsia. That was us for all those many years.

Palm Pre - I sprung for it and was instantly routing, etc. Now that's fun. Momma Bear saw a snazzy opening animation on the Pre and liked it. It was a year or better with my elbow half way up my spine we got the Epic 4g on 1st day in Houston and I am trying new ROMs, etc.

Ain't it the SH*T??

Oh, and Hi y'all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith