Welcome to the Samsung Epic 4G! Please introduce yourselves here.

Googlenerd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Over to the Epic from a Pre. WOW what a display!

I'll miss webOS, and perhaps someday will move back when/if the hardware catches the software. One thing I miss already is the "cards" multitasking. I've already lost data from the memo app because I switched to another task before I saved. Joy's of learning android.

See ya around the boards!

Schubatis1

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi All-

I've had an Epic since October and have been a spectator here from time to time. I finally signed up when I updated to Froyo tonight. Great to meet everyone!

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Whats going on everybody here i been apart of the site for a while just hadnt been on in a while couldnt remember my other name. so i had to do a new account. but i have a epic 4g as well as evo 4g love both of my phones. glad to be apart of the epic forums. i

m_leflore

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What up folks? I've been lurking on this site for quite sometime (checking on ya'll because I had a Pre and didn't know if I would switch). I got my Epic in November, and manually installed 2.2... I've been pretty satisfied with it thus far (having minimal issues with froyo). Glad to be here...

Berry-well

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello Droid Community!

I'm Koppa; fairly new to Android phones, since November 2010.
Joined today! yep after I experienced a couple of hiccups with the new Froyo push had it 2 days now. Lost a couple of apps one being Killer Ap and voice data for synthesis that anounces my incoming calls by name. Miss that feature sob!. On the other hand downloaded SKYPE and re-downloaded Killer Ap

was a former Palm Treo girl and had the new Blackberry Style for a couple weeks but took it back and sprung for the Samsung Epic 4G and love, love, love it. Listen, if anyone would have told me that you could fall in love with a phone I would have asked are you crazy??...er now I know!! lol

Last edited:

roryn3kids

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Getting Epic tomorrow...

I am palm user for 10 years and switching from the pre - got an evo shift 2 weeks ago but screen is too small - torn between the evo and epic but leaning towards the epic. I really want 2.2, it seems to work ok from a hard reset, and since i am getting a new phone that should be easy to do. I am new to android and only moderately techie/geeky but my understanding is although the OTA update is not available, updating to froyo is pretty simple. i have already downloaded the upgrade eb13 tool exe - am i correct in this? thanks for any help!

The Spud

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

My family and I just switched to Sprint last week from Verizon. My wife and I got Epics and my children got Transforms. These are our first smartphones. I've already rooted my phone and I am pouring over the forums trying to learn as much as I can.

gondo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Great resource!

I've had my Epic since its launch, replaced an Evo due to the Epic's keyboard - which I rarely use now since I've mostly mastered the onscreen keyboard using Swiftkey.

It's great to have a wonderful resource here dedicated to the Epic - thanks to all who provide this forum and all the terrific contributors!

In light of the failed Froyo update, have given some thought to switching back to the Evo because of its more timely updates and update flexibility. Ergonomically, I prefer the Epic, I have a nice rubberized case on it and it fits my smallish hands better than the somewhat larger, thinner Evo did, even though the Epic is definitely heavier with the keyboard.

I had the opportunity to try out a friend's Droid Incredible (Verizon) the other day and was blown away by how light it was, and its Froyo implementation was excellent. Still, I like my Epic, even though it's a tank in an increasingly Prius phone world.

I rooted my Epic for the first time shortly after doing a manual Froyo EB13 update, but had the camera Sports scene problem and some other minor glitches, so I Odin'd the phone back to stock and will wait for the hopefully corrected official Froyo update. Am looking forward to rooting again and trying Paul's Ace ROM, looks like a real winner, thanks Paul!

Even though I like my Epic, this is probably my first and last Samsung phone, due to its lack of timeliness and reliability in releasing updates. HTC seems much better in this regard and if most of us are here to dabble with the Android "innards" of our phones, it makes more sense to have one that offers real flexibility in this regard. It's just not right for a major phone manufacturer to be so behind the curve in releasing updates, and when they finally do, the update isn't ready for prime time. It seems Samsung would rather sell you a new flashy phone than support the past ones it has made.

Anyway, enough of the rant. I'm glad to be here, and look forward to sharing and reading Epic experiences!

Last edited:

Nomad013

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey everybody!

I got my Epic 4G in December last year, and finally rooted it last week. Got a feeling this site is going to be one of my favorite for a while...

frdelgad

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello Everyone...

What's going on everyone...

I installed the 2.2 update manually from the Samsung website and rooted my phone using Z4Root.

I have a question...

I had the Optimus b4 I had this epic. One of the features that I really enjoyed on my Optimus that's not on the epic is a feature in which I have the phone hooked up to my Aux jack in the car so I can play my music and if a call was coming in I can answer it through my Bluetooth headset while the phone paused the music with no issues. With the Epic...I have to unplug the Aux jack for the call to go through the Bluetooth headset correctly, if not, it goes through the speakers which in turn creates a bad echo for the person calling on the other end.

Anybody else have this issue?

jaykimdotnet

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'm a former staunch Sprint Pre minus user, coming from Precentral. I still pick the old phone up from time to time, but my Epic makes me almost miss cards. It sure makes my iPhone buddies jealous which is enough for me. I'm a video editor in New York City and the fact that I can go to an e-mail I sent my boss with the latest cut attached and download it over 4G and show it to my buddies on the phone is amazing. Now there's no more "what exactly is it that you do?" I can show them exactly what I'm working on in a matter of minutes.

jccomo

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Newbie with questions

I'm a long time Palm user...but giving up on the Pre and just bought the Epic on Friday! I love the screen and keyboard. I had the store update the phone so I don't have any experience to know if these few issues I am having are a result of the update or existed before:

1. Unable to sync my multiple calendars from my Google Account. The Pre let you sync the multiple calendars with the different colors. I could only get one main calendar to sync.

2. Transfer old data. Only a few weeks of data before the date of the sync transferred. The Pre had size limitations on the initial sync so only about 90 days of old data transferred...the Epic seems to have even smaller limitations.

3. Voice Dialer--doesn't work at all. When I click the app it can't hear my voice? The Voice Search function does work so it isn't the phone mic.

4. Read there was a patch available for the update but only in stores...any information about that?

Thanks for your welcoming help.

heresy_fnord

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Sprint customer for over 10 years (through thick and thin).

I switched to an Epic from the Hero (my first Android phone). I have since learned my lesson. Never, ever buy an underpowered smartphone.

I rooted my Hero but haven't yet rooted my Epic. Not sure I really need to at this point.

Cheekz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
hi! i just upgraded from a htc touch pro 2 to the epic and i'm furious that i didn't have an android phone sooner. i absolutely love it. i rooted it last week and i'm trying to find the perfect ROM to fit my needs

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
Just joined the Epic club last night by picking one up through Craigslist.

I'm coming from a TP2 and feel a littler overwhelmed. Next thread to read is rooting!

dlm308rem

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
New to the site.

Hello all,

I purchased an Epic in Jan 2010, and I do like the phone very much. I have root access to it and have wifi tethering working for the laptop; however I would like to have it work for the Nintendo DS systems. I have been unsuccessful in installing the Clockworks Mod(any version), so this is frustrating as I want to try different ROMs and kernels until I find one I like. I have upgraded to froyo 2.2 and it works okay. I do not like the inverted screen that appears, or the massive battery drain. Any help in getting CWM working properly would be greatly appreciated. I have ODIN and can flash back to stock (D17eclair) and adb shell access available to the phone.