Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Media Hub service opens up after every call

I have noticed that the media hub download service turns itself back on after every call I make. Would an automatic service killer be able to kill it after every call I make or do I manually have to do it via the settings menu?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Tibwolf; 10-23-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Global Posts
    2,679 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tibwolf View Post
    I have noticed that the media hub drm service turns itself back on after every call I make. Would an automatic service killer be able to kill it after every call I make or do I manually have to do it via the settings menu?
    Thanks for any help
    The Epic, more then any other smartphone I have used, screams for root. root and remove it.

The DRM service and the Media Hub service are two different services.

The Media Hub service hasn't been much of a battery killer, and the original "kill it" advice was a questionable attempt to ensure the DRM service didn't restart. The DRM service has been a battery killer, but I think the DI18 patch may have resolved that issue. It's still running on my phone, and I've had phenomenal battery life ... when I'm not in my basement office or constantly playing games (GD Angry Birds!).

When I say phenomenal, I mean:

- I'm using Power Control Plus to:
    -- Show me battery percentage
    -- Turn off 3G and turn WiFi on, which is set to no sleep

Overnight, I'm seeing 10 hours off plug with 75%+ of battery remaining.
    Eric Stewart - http://ericdives.com/
    For my Android experiences, see my Android related blog posts
    Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Blackberry 8703e > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry 9630 > Palm Pre > Samsung Epic 4G

Quote Originally Posted by ericdives View Post
    The DRM service and the Media Hub service are two different services.

The Media Hub service hasn't been much of a battery killer, and the original "kill it" advice was a questionable attempt to ensure the DRM service didn't restart. The DRM service has been a battery killer, but I think the DI18 patch may have resolved that issue. It's still running on my phone, and I've had phenomenal battery life ... when I'm not in my basement office or constantly playing games (GD Angry Birds!).

When I say phenomenal, I mean:

- I'm using Power Control Plus to:
    -- Show me battery percentage
    -- Turn off 3G and turn WiFi on, which is set to no sleep

Overnight, I'm seeing 10 hours off plug with 75%+ of battery remaining.
    I would not call that "phenomenal" battery life at all. I would find 5% battery usage good, but not 25%.

A 40 hour potential is great when compared to the 24 hour potential I was seeing with 3G on, and the less than 8 some folks were seeing before DI18. This included at least 30 minutes of active use (email checking, games) before going to bed. I have mail configured to check an IMAP account every 30 minutes and an Exchange account doing push. I have WeatherBug Elite updating weather for four cities every hour and a live wall paper every 12. I have LauncherPro pulling in Twitter and Facebook stuff every hour as well.

If you want something like 5% over 10 hours, you'd probably have to turn all data off (if not put the phone into airline mode), as well as remove all widgets and not use a live wall paper.

I just don't see anyone getting anywhere near 200 hours of battery life out of any smart phone's standard battery. If you're getting that, more power to you ... literally, apparently, as well as figuratively.
    Last edited by ericdives; 10-21-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    Eric Stewart - http://ericdives.com/
    For my Android experiences, see my Android related blog posts
    Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Blackberry 8703e > Blackberry 8830 > Blackberry 9630 > Palm Pre > Samsung Epic 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Tibwolf View Post
    I have noticed that the media hub drm service turns itself back on after every call I make. Would an automatic service killer be able to kill it after every call I make or do I manually have to do it via the settings menu?

Thanks for any help
    According to Autostarts Media Hub starts itself after a connectivity change. This may be what is happening when you place a call. There are several things like this that trigger Media Hub. Best bet is to pick up an app like Autostarts...i believe it was free... and eliminate all instances of Media Hub. I use it and Media Hub never starts on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ericdives View Post
    If you want something like 5% over 10 hours, you'd probably have to turn all data off (if not put the phone into airline mode), as well as remove all widgets and not use a live wall paper.
    Yeah, I realized belately that I overstated that 5%, and was going to edit it. But 10% or less is a more realistic expectation, which I usually get overnight when I take my normal measures: Airplane mode toggled; Wifi always on; DRM service stopped.

Usage of 25% overnight is still unacceptable.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

I did my own test on the DRM service and found that it wasn't doing anything to my battery so I stopped turning it off. Just a waste of time to me even if it's a small decrease in battery life. I didn't notice it if any.

With the recent update the sleep battery life has improved drastically, obviously. I just wish I could get more than 3 hours of medium to light use out of 20% battery.

It last my work day; and, if I go out after that I'd need to charge it back up for at least an hour to make it through the night. That's not bad; but, I still wish there was more juice figuring the whole concept of this phone is "take the movies with you".

Yea, I took them with me but at the cost of having a phone.

last night i lost only 6% after 8 an hour sleep.
    and typically at my house i have pretty low signal so im satisfied.

i typically do turn off drm but thats just cause other people do it, i dont really keep track. its not like the schedule is engraved in my brain and i have to do it every time.
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Originally Posted by Tibwolf

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by zetterwing View Post
    According to Autostarts Media Hub starts itself after a connectivity change. This may be what is happening when you place a call. There are several things like this that trigger Media Hub. Best bet is to pick up an app like Autostarts...i believe it was free... and eliminate all instances of Media Hub. I use it and Media Hub never starts on mine.
    I jus d'l'ed Autorun Killer from the Market and it is doing good so far w/not starting DRM or Media Hub after restart. I disabled such things as Amazon MP3, DRM Protected, DRM Launcher, Nascar, & Football.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaLea View Post
    I jus d'l'ed Autorun Killer from the Market and it is doing good so far w/not starting DRM or Media Hub after restart. I disabled such things as Amazon MP3, DRM Protected, DRM Launcher, Nascar, & Football.
    I'm using Startup Manager to disable DRM from starting after reboot, and it's working perfectly.

I was really amazed when I saw how many things are triggered by different system events. I was of the thinking that the process wouldn't run unless I actually opened the program. I shut down all the stuff I don't use like Sprint Football, Amazon mp3, Nascar, etc. I didn't want to remove them for fear of missing ota updates but it seems that simply having a non stock kernel will cause this too.
    Retired Ambassador

What is drm? I don't notice drm running at all.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I'm going to go ahead and edit my first post and change the DRM service to the Media Hub Download service.

I think I'll try out Autorun Killer or Startup Manager to kill these services I have no need for

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    What build number are you on? DG17, DG27, DI07 or DI18? If your on an earlier build you don't have media hub and DRM. They didn't start on my phone until, I flashed the updates. And I don't notice any appreciable battery drain issues with it running. I DO however have auto run killer running to kill the bloatware @ start up. More to conserve memory than anything else.
    Joe-KC2UUZ
    Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on....Sprint

Are you using the TouchWiz task manager? If so it doesn't show up there.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Are you using the TouchWiz task manager? If so it doesn't show up there.
    There's that too......LOL.
    Joe-KC2UUZ
    Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on....Sprint

The DRM service is not an ordinary app with a user interface. (That is what the TouchWiz task manager shows.) Rather, a service is a background process. If it is running you can find it, and stop it, from the Android settings interface:

Settings -> Applications - > Running services.
    Retired Ambassador

I am using the stock tasK manager... I'm on build DI18....

I found both the services media hub download manager and the DMR service running. By using "Settings -> Applications - > Running services" I see that I can stop them but my questions are:

What will I lose by stopping them?

What will I gain by stopping them?

Will they restart on there own?

This is my first smart phone and I have lots of questions....

What will I lose by stopping them?

What will I gain by stopping them?

Will they restart on there own?
    Functioning Media Hub (doesn't matter if you don't use it)

Battery life

Some have reported them restarting running certain programs
    Retired Ambassador

Will resarting the phone restart the services. This way when I want to use media hub or play one of my media hub movies I could just restart my phone and be good to go... Yes????

Will resarting the phone restart the services. This way when I want to use media hub or play one of my media hub movies I could just restart my phone and be good to go... Yes????
    Yes, if you have stopped the service manually. A reboot would restart the service. That is why the manual method must be repeated after a routine reboot to achieve the battery gain.

If you have some monitoring utility (such as AutoStart Killer) that automatically kills the DRM service whenever it starts, that is handier than the manual method. But then, if you want DRM enabled, you would have to change the settings in that utility to allow DRM to run.
    xtn

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts

I have found that there is no need to reboot the phone. Manually running the media hub app and making a purchase or rental will restart the drm service as necessary to unlock the movie. It just adds about five seconds to the process of aquiring the license.