How-To Manually Update your Software without root

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you stuck on DG27? Want to know how to get to DI18? You cannot get your phone updated at a Sprint repair center as they don't have over the wire updates. Here's how I do it, it wipes everything, but in the end, worth it. This gives people fits, so I decided to make a write up.

Step 1: Download all your files
a) Odin extract
b) PIT leave as is
c) Stock DI18 ROM Rename file by taking out .md5
d) 32-bit drivers or 64-bit drivers <-- extract first

Step 2: Install drivers in administrator mode for 64-bit systems
DriverInstall.jpg

Step 3: Turn phone off and unplugged. When phone is completely off, open up the keyboard and hold down 1 while you hold down power. You should get a black screen with a yellow triangle with and android guy shoveling and the word "Downloading" on. Reconnect the phone and make sure you get this:
RightDrivers.jpg

Step 4: unplug phone, open up Odin and setup exactly as shown. When you plug in the phone again, it should look exactly like the picture with the COM in yellow. Place the pit file with pit, and the OS in .tar format in the PDA location. Make sure everything is checked and unchecked exactly as shown!!!
OdinSetup.jpg

Step 5: Hit start. Process takes only a couple of minutes.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm stuck on DG17 and from everything I've read, I won't ever get an OTA update. Forget what has been posted about going to a Sprint repair center for a manual update to DG27. They have no idea and insist all updates for android phones come OTA, so I have to go with one of the manual methods or return the phone. My questions is; if I'm going the Odin method do I have to flash sequentially through the ROM's or can I flash directly from DG17 to DI18? Thanks in advance.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You can go directly. I did this for my replacement epic. I was getting horrible battery life, so I also found a file on XDA and that flashes the radio... BIG IMPROVEMENT all around. Sorry, not home, don't know what file I flashed, its not on my sd card anymore.... As always, careful when dealing with the radio.., you can permanently brick your phone that way.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Actually, I'm not upset with my battery life. I'm getting a solid day with moderate use and still have 20-30% when I hook it up overnight. Only doing moderate battery tweaks (kill DRM, no live wallpaper). I'd appreciate a link to the XDA radio information when you have a chance.

You got me thinking that maybe I should stay with DG17 since everything is working for me. I did the GPS fix so that works, don't care about media hub, and battery life is acceptable. My one concern would be when Froyo comes out. Will I need to be on the latest update to have it pushed to me?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000