Scared to purchase apps for fear of losing them...

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I am considering purchasing my first app (upgradinig Shazaam for unlimited tagging). I am worried that if I have to replace my Epic or get a different Android device that when I go to re-download my apps that I will have to repay for them. I say this because I just got a replacement Epic for the keyboard skipping, slow 3G (even after the update), and GPS troubles. My new device is fine now (especially the GPS) but the Android Market did not remember any of my previous apps. I do notice, however, that the Market remembers my review ratings of apps I have reviewed.

So in a nutshell....will I have to repay for apps that I have already paid for when I switch devices or hard reset?

sandplasma

May 11, 2010
Visit site
No way. Your apps are not linked to your phone in any way. Your apps are linked to your google account. As long as you setup your new phone with the same google account you had before you should be fine and able to redownload anything you have purchased.

Worst case scenario you send an email to google with a copy of your receipt ( you should've received one by email ) and they should be able to help you out.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Download App brain too if you haven't. It ties it tracks all the apps you downloaded and if you have to switch, you install app brain and you can redownload everything easily.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
No way. Your apps are not linked to your phone in any way. Your apps are linked to your google account. As long as you setup your new phone with the same google account you had before you should be fine and able to redownload anything you have purchased.

Worst case scenario you send an email to google with a copy of your receipt ( you should've received one by email ) and they should be able to help you out.

I saw another thread somewhere else where a person actually had to do this and he said that Google said he was SOL. I read on the Android Market Q&A that it is tied to your Google Account though, but other people have mentioned something about Google Apps (an application?) What is that?

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I am considering purchasing my first app (upgradinig Shazaam for unlimited tagging). I am worried that if I have to replace my Epic or get a different Android device that when I go to re-download my apps that I will have to repay for them. I say this because I just got a replacement Epic for the keyboard skipping, slow 3G (even after the update), and GPS troubles. My new device is fine now (especially the GPS) but the Android Market did not remember any of my previous apps.

If you have never purchased an app before, there is nothing to be remembered. What you experienced is normal. Google Market only remembers the paid apps you have downloaded, not the free ones. If you replace your phone, the Downloads section of the Market app will list the apps you have paid for, so you can download them again.

To remember your free apps, you need to take other steps to record them and back them up so they can be reinstalled. Try the AppBrain app, which tracks that. Also, several utilities can back up the apk files to your SD card. (I use AndroZip.)

locationman52

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread (not my intention) as I have a related question. If I were to buy a second device (galaxy pad) and used the same google account, would I have to repay for all my apps to be installed on the second device?

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread (not my intention) as I have a related question. If I were to buy a second device (galaxy pad) and used the same google account, would I have to repay for all my apps to be installed on the second device?

Actually, that is a good question! Now im wandering the same thing. I have an Epic and if i was to get the galaxy tab, would i need to pay for the same apps twice?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
As long as the phones are registered to the same Google Account (gmail), you can have your apps on multiple phones.

See the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks in the Applications section.

Reactions: ericdives

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me in advance for bringing up Apple and i-Products in this thread, but the topics above have posed an interesting question... I didn't have an iPhone, but I have the iPod Touch (and still use it pretty regularly)... I know that when the iPad came out, there were certain apps that had to be re-downloaded so that they could "fit" on the iPad since the settings and display specs were different (obviously, with the bigger screen)... my point is, I wonder if the Galaxy Tab will be the same way, i.e. different app types for either phones or the Tab... just food for thought...

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me in advance for bringing up Apple and i-Products in this thread, but the topics above have posed an interesting question... I didn't have an iPhone, but I have the iPod Touch (and still use it pretty regularly)... I know that when the iPad came out, there were certain apps that had to be re-downloaded so that they could "fit" on the iPad since the settings and display specs were different (obviously, with the bigger screen)... my point is, I wonder if the Galaxy Tab will be the same way, i.e. different app types for either phones or the Tab... just food for thought...

I sure hope developers update their apps - stretching current apps to that screen size will make the picture quality suffer quite a bit.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Free apps are not remembered on Market but Purchased ones are, you just have to search for them. I've used both APPBrain and AndroZip, and I like AZ better because it creates a app_backup folder on your SD card. You can restore or reinstall those free apps just by browsing them with the My Files app...they install quicker since you don't have to download them first. You must Green Check "Unkown Sources" under settings/applications. Just remember to uncheck it again after reinstalling your backed up apps to keep you safe.;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci