How to get back to Original Home Screen

bcball

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
So I installed something called "Itching Thumb", and didn't like it. When I hit the HOME button, it brought up 3 options. I unistalled Itching Thumb and then the HOME button brought up 2 options. I clicked the button to set as default, and then selected Home.
Now when I hit the HOME button, some weird interface shows up, and not my default home settings. There was another option I could have selected called TW Home, or something like that. Any idea how to clear back to system default on the icon view?

bcball

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! That fixed it! Any idea how to uninstall that HOME app?
Itching Thumb was supposedly a Pre multitasking immulator. Not very good at all, so unistalled it.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Instead of installing another app to fix your issue, you should be familiar with the settings and application manager built into android. You can clear defaults for any application by following the method below.

Setting--> Applications ---> manage Applications ( menu-Filter All) -->Application info ( Home, TW launcher, Itching Thumb, Launcher Pro..)

Select TW Launcher be sure to Clear defaults.
Then Go Into HOME do the same clear defaults.

I would also check itching thumb .. check to be sure Defaults are not set for that app. Clear defaults if the option is available it will be a grey box "clear defaults"

Now that you have cleared defaults for the app that was set as your default launcher, when you push your Home key you should get several options..
A menu box will pop-up
"complete action using...."
( mine are TW launcher, LauncherPro & Home)
Select the box to Use by default for this action
For what ever launcher you want to be your home/app launcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtm_stretch

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! That fixed it! Any idea how to uninstall that HOME app?
Itching Thumb was supposedly a Pre multitasking immulator. Not very good at all, so unistalled it.

That HOME app. is the stock Android launcher. You shouldn't need to uninstall it, TW launcher is Samsungs' Touchwiz "skin" over Android core.

By knowing how to manage your applications you shouldn't need to uninstall the Home Launcher, Its nice to have several Options. TW Launhcer ( touch Wiz) appeals to some former Palm Pre users,because it allows you to scroll application menu horizontally. However launcher Pro allows customization of the dock apps icons.

Lots of users want stock un-skinned android experience so they use "HOME" as their default launcher.

That's is what is so powerful and unique about Android & Linux, the fact that you can customize and change things. To really take advantage of the power of Android, spend some time reading the FAQ sections of the forums and learn how to manage your applications. You will have a richer better experience. It is not a good practice to have to install additional apps to fix problems with device functionality if the problems or mis-behaviors can simply be addressed by utilizing the stock system / application settings manager. Good luck and enjoy your Android!

Last edited:

bcball

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Great post! I knew there had to be a solution built into the software. The part I was missing was "Filter All". That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the instruction!!!

mdezrin

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Similar problem

I have a DroidX. installed Open Home as a home screen replacement. I'm trying to go back to the original home screens and can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've gone out to betterandroid, the app maker, but can't find anything there. I've searched up and down. I have gone into manage apps but I can't click on clear default. any ideas? Can I safely uninstall Open Home BEFORE I revert back to my original screens?

Related to this, all I'm trying to do is find a way to make my home screens turn to landscape mode. much easier when I'm driving. thanks!

Acadia_ca

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I have a Note 5, and those instructions didn't work for me.

I installed CH Launcher and even after I uninstalled the launcher, I couldn't get my home page skin back. I tried rebooting the phone, but as soon as reboot finished I get a window that requires me to select "touchwiz" as my launcher. I never had that before. It always just rebooted to my home screen.

Plus, there is only a single page showing 8 icons which are twice the size of what they were. I have to click an icon to get to all of my other apps, which are no longer sorted into folders as they were before.

Don't ever install this CH Launcher, it's like a cancer that invades your whole phone!

I've gone into Applications and set things back to default. That didn't help.

I downloaded that Google Now, and it gave me back a blue screen, but it did nothing for my icon layout or applications layout.

I'm in the process of using bluetooth to transfer my contact list and pictures to my old Galaxy S3, and then I"m going to factory reset my phone.

I'm so not happy! :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When I push the middle button to get back to the home screen the apps don't pull up. Clear all does or Google

Welcome to Android Central! I'm assuming you don't have the very old Sprint Epic 4G whose forum this thread belongs to. Which phone do you have? What do you mean the apps don't pull up? Are you referring to the App Drawer?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz