1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Easiest way to copy and paste (in browser)

for some reason i cant seem to copy and paste well in the browser.

just checking if theres a way to do it well using the keyboard or something.
    like i know the nexus one can copy and paste pretty well using the track ball.

just spent like 30 minutes trying to find a good way around this. how come we cant get the copy and paste from sense or ios
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Not sure about the on screen keyboard, but with the slide out keyboard you hold the shift key while dragging on the screen.
    Thanked by:

From the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Cut, Copy, Paste, and Share section:

Cut and Paste Other Content
    You can also copy text, photos and more from web pages, and other sources that are not in a text box.
    • Select a word: Press and hold the word. Drag the green end markers to select more or less text.

Double Tap to Select a Word

• Select text beginning with where the cursor is now: Just touch where the other end of the selection will be.
    • Copy: Tap the Copy (icon to the left) to copy the text, photo, etc.

To paste this content that you have copied into an email, text, Facebook, etc., open the other app and Paste as described above. If your phone has a physical keyboard, press and hold the shift key and then drag your finger over the content to copy.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I think that link is for somethong other than the epic. Probably sense ui.
    Epic does not copy and paste that easily.

But thanks for the tip on holding the shift key. Hopefully it'll work in the browser

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G

Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Sweet. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to copy text from the gmail app. Shift key works. Now how do you do it without a physical keyboard.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

So I can copy things to the clipboard but am unable to paste, used to the pre drop down menus, help would be much appreciated, thx

Quote Originally Posted by jpfoxey View Post
    So I can copy things to the clipboard but am unable to paste, used to the pre drop down menus, help would be much appreciated, thx
    I believe copy/paste capabilities are app dependent. Where are you trying to paste?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

U should be able to paste anywhere you can input txts. So like rag said what are you trying to paste into

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I was trying to copy the text on a web page and put it in a text, and after I couldn't do that I tried to put it in an email, thx

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Alpha 5.1

In general, in areas where you can type text, you can usually long-press in there, and a pop-up appears offering a paste option.
    But, that may be app-dependant, so it may not work all the time.

I do wish there was a more accurate way to copy. I've been using the shift-drag to copy non-editable text, then pasting into a new note, edit out the stuff I don't want, then copy using shift-arrow keys on the keyboard within the note editing interface.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

In the stock texting app, I just press-hold and an option popped up to paste. Paste worked fine.

Good hint on the shift-drag.
    ----- -----
    Treo 300 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 800w -> Epic 4G -> Note III

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

the long press seems to work, thank you
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

long pressing will work for any text editing app. like anywhere where you can input text. at least i havent ran into one that doesnt permit it.

and i already knew about long pressing. thats just basic. i was talking about in a browser
    EPIC 4G

Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shaundizzle View Post
    long pressing will work for any text editing app. like anywhere where you can input text. at least i havent ran into one that doesnt permit it.

and i already knew about long pressing. thats just basic. i was talking about in a browser
    Yea, web pages and gmail threads need a better way of copying if holding the shift is the only way. I want a way to do it without the physical keyboard. Your telling me that on the on Galaxy S phones they can't copy in these areas?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    Yea, web pages and gmail threads need a better way of copying if holding the shift is the only way. I want a way to do it without the physical keyboard.
    In the browser, I think the officially supported method of copying is (page 173 of user guide):

tap More > Select text > swipe with finger & release

Not sure about email.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    In the browser, I think the officially supported method of copying is (page 173 of user guide):

tap More > Select text > swipe with finger & release

Not sure about email.
    I never even noticed that in the browser, lol. Doesn't seem to work with email, however.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Copying from a browser is a pain when trying to use touch-screen to me. That is something that a trackpad/ball would come in handy for...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using TapatalkT
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for a short time) Sprint, Verizon

so whats the best way to copy past in an email?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post
    so whats the best way to copy past in an email?
    Holding the shift key and swyping your finger over the txt you want to select.

And for the record, I know of the basic ways to copy/paste.
    I was looking for shortcuts or apps that will help make the process easier such as holding the shift key or maybe and app

S e.nt from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    EPIC 4G

Quote Originally Posted by shaundizzle View Post
    Holding the shift key and swyping your finger over the txt you want to select...
    I added that tip to the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks, Cut, Copy, Paste, and Share section.

Thanks!
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

i know i was just telling that guy above me.

i think wee all having some communication problems ha
    EPIC 4G