Palm Pre to Epic convert

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
So I just switched from the Palm Pre last weekend. First off, I feel WebOS is an incredible smartphone operating system that never got the support it deserved from the hardware side. I had been hoping that Palm would finally release some new hardware that would match the offerings of htc, Samsung, Motorolla and the like. But then the "Pre 2" specs were released, and its bassically the same thing with a bit faster processor (my original pre had been running overclocked at 1ghz for months already). I was, to say the least, dissapointed.

So I went out and picked me up an Epic, and boy am I happy. Here is a run down of my impressions through the first couple of days.

1. Battery life

Wow. I see a lot of people with battery lif concerns on phones like the Evo and the Epic. You people have no idea what "poor battery life" is really like. I rarely got through a day with my Pre on a single charge. More often than not, I drained my Pre's battery in 6 hours of "normal" (for me) use. It got to the point that I bought a second touchstone to keep on my desk at work in order to keep my battery life up.

The Epic? I went through the reccomendations on the xda forums for training the battery (charging the phone, turning it off, charging it again, and all that), and yesterday I got home and the phone still had better than 40% charge left. Its just so noticeably better.

2. Screen

What can i say about the Pre's Screen? Its small, not the best resolution, and I often felt the color quality to be "washed out," i.e. low contrast.

The Epic? Super AMOLED is everything the commecials hype it to be. Brilliant. And Samsung seems to have it the sweet spot with screen size. Not too small like the Pre, but not too big that it doesnt feel like a device that will fit in your pocket without bulging out.

3. Android

The one thing that I know I will miss from the Pre? Gestures. The whole swiping back and forth, up and down to manipulate apps was just so easy and inuitive. Everything the Pre did, the Android does. I just find that I have to spend a bit more time and button/screen presses to do it. I tried the "Itching Thumb" launcher, and it doesnt seem to work on the Epic, or at least not very well. Im sure I will eventually get used to the Android way, but i keep catching myself trying to swipe the screen to go back, or close an app. :p

4. Apps

The Palm app store has a decent selection of apps, and the hombrew community has even more. But they just dont compare to the veriety on Android marketplace. Sure a lot of them are junk, but theres still a lot of neat stuff that I couldnt get on the Pre. NES and SNES emulators, animated wallpapers, widgets, Rhapsody Music app, iHeart Radio, and more.

5. The Keyboard

I like physical keyboards. I have always preffered Treo's and BB's. The Pre was not a terrible keyboad, it was just a bit cramped around the edges. Most of the time I had not trouble typing on it.

On the Epic, I do enjoy the nice wide keyboard, though I wish there was a bit more tactile difference between the keys. Its a bit harder to tell one key from the next just by touch, and the little dimples on the F and J might as well not even be there. I also seem to have a really hard time with the space key. The lower bezel is raise slightly compared to the space key and i keep trying to press on the bezel instead. I also wish there was a dedicated @ key (instead of the smiley face). I use @ enough during the day that it was really handy on the Pre. The dedicated D-pad is handy though.

6. Speed.

The Epic is blazing. Menu's animate smoothly, apps load quickly, the phone boots in only a few seconds (The Pre takes a couple of minutes to boot). And 4G is nice to have (Houston TX). The Pre's menues at stock speeds sometimes felt a little jerky, apps tended to take a few seconds to load, and boot times were horrible. Overclocking with a modified kernel helped a ton, but added to the Pre's already terrible battery life and often overheated.

So ya, thats my opinion so far. Palm could have done great things with WebOs, and who knows, maybe HP will do something with it in the future, but right now, its just not up to par with the Epic and Android.

Reactions: Balzak and Tirron

flunkn

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I am a Pre convert, as well, and I agree with everything you have posted. All in all, as I get used to the Epic, it is a much better device than the Pre. I really miss having cards which make it much easier to switch from app to app and the ease and elegance of Palm OS. That being said, until HPalm comes out with an equivalent or better device to the Epic, I am sticking with the Epic happily. The "auto smiley" compared to the "shift @" is really, really a nuisance but I am getting used to the keyboard. I agree 100% regarding the lack of tactile feel it has but, again, one gets used to it.

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
1. Battery life

Wow. I see a lot of people with battery lif concerns on phones like the Evo and the Epic. You people have no idea what "poor battery life" is really like. I rarely got through a day with my Pre on a single charge. More often than not, I drained my Pre's battery in 6 hours of "normal" (for me) use. It got to the point that I bought a second touchstone to keep on my desk at work in order to keep my battery life up.

The Epic? I went through the reccomendations on the xda forums for training the battery (charging the phone, turning it off, charging it again, and all that), and yesterday I got home and the phone still had better than 40% charge left. Its just so noticeably better.
In defense of a lot of what you've been reading, prior to the DI18 update, battery life did indeed suck without doing stuff like the "DRM kill". Now, I think the "Airplane Mode" toggle might still be useful; everyone else experiencing battery issues needs to either A) follow battery conservation suggestions or B) Go to Sprint and complain.
3. Android

The one thing that I know I will miss from the Pre? Gestures. The whole swiping back and forth, up and down to manipulate apps was just so easy and inuitive. Everything the Pre did, the Android does. I just find that I have to spend a bit more time and button/screen presses to do it. I tried the "Itching Thumb" launcher, and it doesnt seem to work on the Epic, or at least not very well. Im sure I will eventually get used to the Android way, but i keep catching myself trying to swipe the screen to go back, or close an app. :p
Yeah, gestures were nice, and the card system method of tracking what apps were open was infinitely more intuitive than Android.

But the thing I currently miss most is email sorting.

Yes, I know you can do "labels" in GMail, and that's fine and dandy. But I have both an IMAP and an Exchange Active Sync account, and I miss being able to shuffle a message out of my inbox and into a saved folder. Missed it so much that I migrated my IMAP account to GMail (when I send from GMail it by default appears to be coming from my IMAP address). Still have the EAS account, and do not want to pay money to Touchdown just to get the ability to move messages around. Thankfully it's my work account and doesn't get the traffic that my personal account does (and I can ignore wayward messages in the Inbox until I get into work to sort them).

I could of course go on (and this isn't the first "Pre to Epic" thread by a long shot), but a lot of what I'd say has been covered before ...

As it is, my mail gripe might make me sound like a broken record ... I'm sure you could easily find another post by me complaining about the same thing ...

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
OP nailed it.
I was a fan of the look of the cards but prefer Androids Task manager.
The Pre's Swipe to close an app didn't always completely close the App ( too many cards error = apps running in the background)

Androids built in task manager and notifications are more functional and robust. while not as elegant get the Job done correctly with peace of mind.

Android is a more powerful mobile OS. The Epic is excellent hardware to take advantag eof the powerhouse that Android is.

And yes The Apps... So much more and more functional ones at that.
The ONLY thing I miss about WebOS was 1 particular App I have not found a suitable replacement for and that is Dr.Podder. A podcast catcher/player.

Everything else about the Samsung SPH-D700 is simply "Epic"

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100% with the original poster. My pre rarely made it 5 hours sitting in my pocket. My epic yesterday died like that for the first time... but the reasons were very different. I was in a great coverage area for the Pre, horrible coverage area for the epic. I love my epic, but starting to dislike sprint. Every business decision they are making recently negatively affects the customer. They aren't huge changes, but they are starting to add up. I don't mind the $10 4G tax if you will. I'm moving to an area that has "unofficial" 4G coverage and it really is amazing. I was thinking of switching to t-mo, but asked my sister to send me a copy of network speeds at her house (near where I'd be moving) and I've never gotten 3G speeds that low. She has a nexus 1, and is in the hdsp+ coverage area, so it would be better if someone with a G2 (which I don't think is better than the epic, despite the quadrant scores, the graphics look like shiite on it).

tyklip

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Just converted myself. I gave it time, hoping for a new iteration of a WEB OS device, but was underwhelmed by recent discoveries.

Even with the 1000ghz kernel, the Pre was sluggish for me. Menus, scrolling, etc. Plus the battery was doing me no favors. Decided to jump ship, nearly certain I was going to get the EVO.

Then I tried both of them and I actually made the decision to go with the Epic, knowing very little about it.

So far, at least compared to the Pre, fantastic. It solves the problems that I had with the Pre (clunkiness, limited potential).

I do miss how the Pre handled email. I might be dumb or unable to do this properly, but I can't get the Epic to deal with my 4 different email accounts in the same way. Loved that the Pre was a one stop shop for email.

Plus, I also of course miss the cards and gestures. But I'll get over it.

buzzardjrt

i also agree with the OP. the screen on this thing is by far the best part of it in my opinion.

one thing I feel that was left out, unless i miss it, was signal. i dont have nearly as many dropped or not able to connect calls on my Epic as i did with my Pre.

it is taking some getting used to and im sure it will take another month for me to be comfortable with it as i have only had it since the 19th of October.

i most likly will be going back to WebOS when new hardware comes out, and after it went through its first round of problems. i would love nothing more then to be able to use a PalmPad, Phone and printer together (but i work a lot of trade shows and fairs as a vender so i am looking for simplicity).

rock on EPIC!!!!

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i had the pre for over a year and liked it until i met the epic...WOW. the epic is FAR better, faster, nicer and practical in any way than the pre.
btw, did anyone find any app on the epic to work like the geo strings app on the pre?

Balzak

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I converted too and dont regret it, I posted this on one of the "stickeys" last week regarding my opinions:

"Well Ive had my Epic almost a week so far and Im very impressed. Ive noticed some things about it that are better than the pre and some that are equal and some that are not. But over all its a move Im glad I made.

Much Better:
Screen size - Im getting older. It so nice not to have to resize everything.
Keyboard - again, the size.
App market - a ton of stuff, although the pre has most of the "basics" covered but some manufacturers apps and other cool stuff are not available (ie.. Canon Easy Share).
Phone Quality - On the Pre, people would tell me the get the phone off my shoulder. The clarity of the calls are like night and day .. after all it is a phone.
Camera and Video: Much better than my Pre.
SD Card: 16Gb standard, upgradable to 32 vs 8Gb internal.
Speaker: Much louder.
Finish: You had to buy the touchstone case for the back to get the standard harder to scratch case thats comes with the Epic.

Equal:
Typical slider issues. To be expected. Movement not as bad as the "oero effect" and the slider is much bigger with more room to play. My "Oreo" wasnt too bad and I wonder if some "pre"-madona's didnt blow it out of proportion.

Not so equal:
WebOS - Over all I think its smoother and multi-tasks better than Android but familiarity with Android is slowly overcoming any of the draw backs.
Fear of rooting - Web Doctor made me feel more secure about it. Im sure its only temporary. The flip side to this is that Android has so many features, tweeking it isnt really necessary.
Notification system: I like a light that stays on.
No dedicated volume/vibrate switch - just me

Im sure I forgot some stuff but.. I am Happy with the switch "

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
In defense of a lot of what you've been reading, prior to the DI18 update, battery life did indeed suck without doing stuff like the "DRM kill". Now, I think the "Airplane Mode" toggle might still be useful; everyone else experiencing battery issues needs to either A) follow battery conservation suggestions or B) Go to Sprint and complain.

Yeah, gestures were nice, and the card system method of tracking what apps were open was infinitely more intuitive than Android.

But the thing I currently miss most is email sorting.

Yes, I know you can do "labels" in GMail, and that's fine and dandy. But I have both an IMAP and an Exchange Active Sync account, and I miss being able to shuffle a message out of my inbox and into a saved folder. Missed it so much that I migrated my IMAP account to GMail (when I send from GMail it by default appears to be coming from my IMAP address). Still have the EAS account, and do not want to pay money to Touchdown just to get the ability to move messages around. Thankfully it's my work account and doesn't get the traffic that my personal account does (and I can ignore wayward messages in the Inbox until I get into work to sort them).

I could of course go on (and this isn't the first "Pre to Epic" thread by a long shot), but a lot of what I'd say has been covered before ...

As it is, my mail gripe might make me sound like a broken record ... I'm sure you could easily find another post by me complaining about the same thing ...

I 100% agree with your findings.

Regarding email, the stock Epic 4g email app pretty much sucks IMHO. It's much spunkier than the Pre app, but the way they handle folders on exchange is a joke. It scrolls like 4 at a time and I have 100 folders with rules putting stuff neatly where it belongs.

At least with the Pre (can't even do this on IOS) you could 'star' a folder and it would be on top. What it couldn't do, and stock android can't either is update any folder but the inbox in the background.

HOWEVER, unlike the Pre or IOS where there is no alternative, do yourself a favor and download and install Touchdown. It has a free 30 day trial.. After that its $20, but the best $20 I ever spent. It's essentially like having the full Outlook product on yoru phone. SImply awesome email.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Pre was so slow and battery life was so poor, the Epic is a huge step up based on those two factors alone.

I loved webOS and may return to the platform someday if HP releases some killer hardware.

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on how to transfer contacts from Pre to Android when they are not in Google contacts, but just the WebOS Contacts? My Epic arrives tomorrow.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: rawvega

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree 100% with the original poster. My pre rarely made it 5 hours sitting in my pocket. My epic yesterday died like that for the first time... but the reasons were very different. I was in a great coverage area for the Pre, horrible coverage area for the epic. I love my epic, but starting to dislike sprint. Every business decision they are making recently negatively affects the customer. They aren't huge changes, but they are starting to add up. I don't mind the $10 4G tax if you will. I'm moving to an area that has "unofficial" 4G coverage and it really is amazing. I was thinking of switching to t-mo, but asked my sister to send me a copy of network speeds at her house (near where I'd be moving) and I've never gotten 3G speeds that low. She has a nexus 1, and is in the hdsp+ coverage area, so it would be better if someone with a G2 (which I don't think is better than the epic, despite the quadrant scores, the graphics look like shiite on it).

I have to agree Andrew, While the epic is, well, Epic! Sprint has been making many poor decisions, that negatively effect the end user/consumer. I had to think long and hard about epic/evo/iphone/another BB but on a different carrier, before I made my decision. After this contract, I think I'll be switching back to verizon. Had a bad experience with T-MO

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma