Email is really flaky. How do I fix it?

unseen wombat

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. Just got an Epic 4g a couple weeks ago and set up my MSN email. I have it set to check email every 10 minutes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. About 90% of the time it doesn't. Today I manually refreshed my email at like 10:00 am, (loading 2 messages that it didn't tell me about), then let it go. I've been sitting in front of my computer for the last 4 hours and saw no less than 8 emails come in and got nary a peep out of my phone to alert me as to this fact. Yes, "email notifications," "background data," and "auto-sync" are checked. WTF is wrong with it and how do I fix this? My clunky old palm centro alerted me within seconds of incoming mail.

P.S. Gmail is just as bad.

Last edited:

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. Just got an Epic 4g a couple weeks ago and set up my MSN email. I have it set to check email every 10 minutes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. About 90% of the time it doesn't. Today I manually refreshed my email at like 10:00 am, (loading 2 messages that it didn't tell me about), then let it go. I've been sitting in front of my computer for the last 4 hours and saw no less than 8 emails come in and got nary a peep out of my phone to alert me as to this fact. Yes, "email notifications," "background data," and "auto-sync" are checked. WTF is wrong with it and how do I fix this? My clunky old palm centro alerted me within seconds of incoming mail.

P.S. Gmail is just as bad.

are you trying to sync using the gmail app?
i dont think you can sync msn with gmail app.

but if your using the regular email client thats built in,
if you have juice defender installed that can cause a major hinderance.

and i think gmail rocks, i never miss an email. i dont even know how often i have it sync (because i dont really need email) but i always get them within 15 minutes.

Also i have IMAP and POP enabled in my gmail settings. that might make a difference, although i am unsure

Last edited:

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hate to say it- but Samsung has a LOAD of known issues with the stock email application. I'm not aware of the Gmail app issues - but I rarely use gmail. Here's the issues I've had:
(the stock app will randomly delete accounts, not sync, and DEFINITELY will not sync pop accounts (like yahoo) over Wifi or 4G! only over 3g!)

I have had to switch to using Touchdown ($19.99 in market) for Exchange (work) and it's AMAZING. Well worth the extra dough. For personal, I'm using K9 Mail (free in market) and while not as pretty as samsung's mail app- it's not nearly as buggy and glitch ridden.

I'm pretty bitter over the glitches in this phone- but it's still fast to use, a beautiful screen, and the only upscale phone w/ a keyboard on sprint- so I'm pretty stuck with it- but Samsung's got a lot of explainin to do with this phone IMHO.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski