Carpal tunnel from phone use

skatanic000

Banned
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone getting pains and aches in their wrists and fingers from the phone/angry birds/keyboard, etc? This is a huge problem. My hand really hurts.

skatanic000

Banned
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Please elaborate? I do in fact lay down and use my phone. Do you have info or insight to back this up?

Are there any ergonomic solutions to smart phones? Its killing me. I just bought a logitech trackman or something for my computer at work.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I experience less stress on my wrists and thumbs using this phone compared to my blackberry.

the only problem I get is with my pinky supporting the bottom of the phone while using one hand. Very slight though and not frequent.

I move my pinky when I'm not typing from the bottom. Have not experienced it lately.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure what to say...I didn't have this problem. Maybe you should ask your doctor? Try not to lay down and see what happens, then report back to us.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you're lying down and using the phone, the muscles in your arms and wrists have to stay strained to offset not only their own weight but also the weight of the phone. If you prefer lying down while using your phone, put a couple pillows on your body and rest your forearms and hands on them. That way there is less strain and less pain. Also make sure to take a 10 minute break from the phone for every hour of use.

Reactions: lancelot916

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If you're lying down and using the phone, the muscles in your arms and wrists have to stay strained to offset not only their own weight but also the weight of the phone. If you prefer lying down while using your phone, put a couple pillows on your body and rest your forearms and hands on them. That way there is less strain and less pain. Also make sure to take a 10 minute break from the phone for every hour of use.

I am a Human Factors Engineer, & deal with these kinds of injuries daily.
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is a Cumulative trauma Disorder, the result of compression of the median nerve in the carpel tunnel (a space within the wrist where tendons and the median nerve pass) If the tendons are aggravated they will swell and enlarge causing compression against the median nerve.

ragnarokx nailed it..The best position for your wrists is in neutral, Be sure your wrists aren’t arched backwards too much. This shortens the muscles in the top of the forearm and makes it more difficult for them to lift your fingers. Ideally you also want 90 degree at the elbow with very minimal wrist extension. Your hands should be horizontal letting your fingers naturally drop. Avoid Extreme angles. Lying on your stomach to play is better than lying on your back.

In addition to supporting your arms with a rolled up towel or small pillow, I also suggest a small pillow under your hips, this will help keep your lumbar spine in neutral reducing the strain on your back. Lower back fatigue will lead to upper back/ cervical strain which collectively will also reduce you upper thoracic muscles' ability to support your limbs. Everything is connected and postural fatigue contributes to Repetitive Stress Injuries even in your wrists. As ragnarokx mentioned..Be mindful of breaks. POSTURE, POSTURE, Posture!!!

There is rule we like to throw around in our industry..

"The 20-20-20 Rule"

Every 20 minutes, stand up and focus your eyes on something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.

Stretch breaks are an excellent way to reduce the onset of CTD/RSI's. Do some wrists stretches & Apply Ice when you do have onset of pain.
Also do some upper middle back stretches, retraction of the shoulder blades will reduce tension in cervical spine. "extend your self for back pain relief." Extension stretches help relieve tension in the spine. Reducing tension in your back & neck will also reduce the fatigue in the extremities.

"Google" Wrist and hand stretches, as well as shoulder and upper back stretches.

As other mentioned. If the pain continues go see a physician, As a general rule Light stretching and ice, and NSAID ( Ibuprofen) will reduce any swelling relieve pain.

Last edited:

skatanic000

Banned
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thank you for giving me so much more info than my physician did the other weak. She just said I have ulnar nerve tunnel and to take large dose ibuprofin and think about surgery if it becomes unbearable.

Between work and smartphones, people will be seeing a large increase of ailments like this. We spend nearly every waking moment checking some device. Thanks again!

skatanic000

Banned
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You know? That would be a brilliant name for an app. "Carpal Tunnel". Press one button on the screen repeatedly for hours and you get to post your high score.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thank you for giving me so much more info than my physician did the other weak. She just said I have ulnar nerve tunnel and to take large dose ibuprofin and think about surgery if it becomes unbearable.

Between work and smart-phones, people will be seeing a large increase of ailments like this. We spend nearly every waking moment checking some device. Thanks again!

With technology & smart phone use we see a drastic increase in reported cases of RSI. The key is Pre-hab Pre-habilitate before your are forced to rehabilitate.

Take proactive lifestyle changes such as remaining active, taking stretch breaks often, & being mindful of posture.

Its lifestyle.. The ability and desire to live by the resolutions necessary to achieve wellness and prevent Illness.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Ulnar Nerve entrapment is caused by swelling and compression at the medial side of the wrist often intiating at Elbow Joint.
Stretching the forearm muscles, And gently massaging the area near the ulnar nerve. will help with pain.

Use a cold soda can and apply gentle pressure, roll it over the inside of your forearm near your elbow joint. The ice combined with the compressive massage will reduce the swelling and help with pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando991

ache break

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
App for tx and prevention of carpal tunnel, repetitive stress and text message injury

There is a new app called "acheBreak" check it out. New videos coming soon

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I had this for about 9 months and thought it was Tennis Elbow...went to therapy, got a steriod shot in it...but not until I got the steriod shot in the forearm, did it go away. Now I use a Thera Band bar to exercise and stretch that area out to prevent a reocurrence.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I had this for about 9 months and thought it was Tennis Elbow...went to therapy, got a steriod shot in it...but not until I got the steriod shot in the forearm, did it go away. Now I use a Thera Band bar to exercise and stretch that area out to prevent a recurrence.

Thera-band exercises are excellent!
Not only to rehab but also as "prehab" to prevent injury.

I suggest anyone who does any repetitive tasks, should augment their exercise & daily stretch routines with Thera-band exercises, targeting upper middle back and wrist flexors/extensors. Exercises should include Wrist flexion/extension, & radial ulnar deviation. Scaption & Scapular retraction.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have also had the issue with my pinky finger hurting. Just switching how I hold my device helps a lot. Thanks for all the great advice in this thread!

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
You have got to be kidding - I read this in disbelief - having had carpal tunnel syndrome caused by real physical issues, I might offer this relief.

Put your phone down and do something else. This advise is much cheaper and easier than a doctors visit

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
My elbow/ulnar nerve entrapment was caused by fishing with my fly rod, but like other people here, once you have it, mousing on the computer or other things like typing can aggravate it...and you can't just put down the computer or phone for 9 months...