When does EPIC get 2.2

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
With 2.3 allegedly right around the corner, Does any one know what the time table for us to get 2.2 is? I mean common guys, whats the point of having one of the best android devices, when we're still running old software!

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
maybe by the time HTC releases 2.3, we'll be getting 2.2! :p

...otherwise, the latest hearsay is by the end of the year in North America.

Last edited:

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
With 2.3 allegedly right around the corner, Does any one know what the time table for us to get 2.2 is? I mean common guys, whats the point of having one of the best android devices, when we're still running old software!

EXACTLY! WHEN!?

maybe by the time HTC releases 2.3, we'll be getting 2.2! :p

noooo! PAAAAALM! ...ooops, i meant SAMSUUUUUUUNG!!! :mad: :D

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
idk but they're coming soon.

Europe and all them should be almost done and then it should be the us. only problem is we are so different than the other galaxy s family

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing late sept and late oct too.

It should have released with 2.2. September was tolerable, october was painful and november is borderline terrible. After dealing with my wifes moment's issues and now all the delays this phone has had I think I will be looking for a replacement and actively hoping a landscape qwerty comes to sprint that's comparable. I can't stand how samsung delivers, supports and deals with products. Love this phone but I think I'm nearing my wits end with its maker...

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
From my experience with my Hero as long as the update is pushed out faster than 9 months than I can live. Especially since this thing seems to be more stable out of the box than my Hero ever was.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I want 2.2 and 2.3 and whatever else comes out. I used to get all crazy checking every single minute about update news with the Pre & Hero. But i don't let it stress me out anymore.

Right now i'm very happy with my Epic as is, and when 2.2 comes out, i'll be happy too.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's a small sign of progress. From BGR.com just now:

Samsung UK: Android 2.2 starts rolling out today, will hit all handsets by the end of November | BGR

Hopefully this means U.S. Galaxy S phones will see it soon.

Hope is not very viable method of prediction.

If you want to extrapolate from the events in the UK and Europe, consider the history of the rollout of the Galaxy S models running 2.1:

• The first Galaxy S models for the UK/Europe, all GSM-based phones, were released in those markets in June.
  • The first U.S. GSM models (the T-Mobile Vibrant and AT&T Captivate) were released in mid to late July.
  • Sprint's Epic 4G, the first CDMA phone in the Galaxy S family, was released Aug. 31.
Also consider that Samsung UK has been saying for weeks that mid-November was the target there. So this latest news is consistent with that announced schedule.

The strongest thing Samsung USA has ever said about any of the U.S. variants is that Froyo will be available sometime this year. Sprint has made no more optimistic announcement than that.

So temper your hope with some realism. I will be most pleasantly surprised if the Epic gets Froyo before late December.

Last edited:

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I want 2.2 and 2.3 and whatever else comes out. I used to get all crazy checking every single minute about update news with the Pre & Hero. But i don't let it stress me out anymore.

Right now i'm very happy with my Epic as is, and when 2.2 comes out, i'll be happy too.

I did the same when I had a pre. I do it especially now since we have one of if not the most powerful capable smartphone on the planet and it really sucks that we are so far behind on software support. Whats the point of having great hardware when the software is out of date. I usually let things like this go and take them in stride, but after all the waiting games and ton of money I had to shell out over other phones its gotten very old. It seems like I didnt get what I waited and paid for.

Dont get me wrong I love this phone, but between waiting games, extra price and features left out I am fed up.

Hope is not very viable method of prediction.

If you want to extraplolate from the events in the UK and Europe, consider the history of the rollout of the Galaxy S models running 2.1:

• The first Galaxy S models for the UK/Europe, all GSM-based phones, were released in those markets in June.
  • The first U.S. GSM models (the T-Mobile Vibrant and AT&T Captivate) were released in mid to late July.
  • Sprint's Epic 4G, the first CDMA phone in the Galaxy S family, was released Aug. 31.
Also consider that Samsung UK has been saying for weeks that mid-November was the target there. So this latest news is consistent with that announced schedule.

The strongest thing Samsung USA has ever said about any of the U.S. variants is that Froyo will be available sometime this year. Sprint has made no more optimistic announcement than that.

So temper your hope with some realism. I will be most pleasantly surprised if the Epic gets Froyo before late December.

Me too. By the time we get 2.2 people will be gettong 3.0 or talking about getting it at least.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
We were stuck on 1.5 on the hero for what seemed like an eternity. The end of the year is not too far away. Gingerbread will be released soon, hopefully samsung has already received it, I'm sure htc already has.

FallNAngel

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy Tab is out next week with 2.2. I don't think we should be too far behind.

This is the thing that gets me. A tablet is going to come out almost a month and a half *AFTER* our phone does... and it'll have the update first. 2.2 was released back in June iirc. 5+ months to get it released is crazy, especially when you're putting out as much product as they are.

Don't get me wrong, I *really* like my Epic; it's the fact that 2.2 is taking this long is what's getting to me.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Android, people. Samsung support is the slowest on Earth. Why would they bother with Galaxy S phones when the all-important Tab is on its way?

Cotano

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I am starting to really dislike samsung. I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect the delays. I'm expecting it to officially arrive between the holiday's.

I'm dishing this phone whenever sprint gets a device running 3.0. Looks like it might be best if I joined htc. I still prefer samsung's hardware.

I suppose I might be selling them a little short. They might make an announcement that this phone is getting gingerbread. I think I will play the lottery the same day.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Isn't samsung gonna release a tablet device with 2.3....do you think samsung will skip froyo all together and surprise everybody with gingerbread on the epic.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing late sept and late oct too.
It should have released with 2.2. September was tolerable, october was painful and november is borderline terrible. After dealing with my wifes moment's issues and now all the delays this phone

What? Where? stop stoking dissatisfaction with FALSE rumors. Sprint and Samsung have never said anything for Epic but hopefully November, and for sure by the end of December.

There have been ZERO delays in Froyo for Epic as people have only MISTAKENLY and without any source claimed Epci would get it in September of October -- like you both just did.

In fact the only specific answer they gave back in late August was "same amount of time as Evo" (three months, eg early December) or "at latest" "by the end of the year" (four months, end of december)

Reactions: Fitz39

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX