Lessons learned for using Qik

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If you use the Qik app supplied with Epic, make sure you have the latest update, create an account, then select Menu/settings/Camera to use for recording--select Front. Then go back and tap the video chat tab...you can now select a contact to call who must also have qik installed and signed in. This is the most important point though that caused problems initially, is that the contact you select MUST have the mobile number listed first...if another number, say a work number is listed on top, Qik tries to unsuccessfully dial that number and you will never connect. I ended up deleting the other numbers in that contact, but I think you can add them in order.

Reactions: Balzak

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
can you make sure about that add in order thing?

i know i hate having to try it and delete them all and then add them again to restest and test and test. kind of like installing rom after rom after rom

although ive never used qik in my life, id like to one of these days

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Found out you can't re sort the order, but you can edit the numbers, i.e. Let's say a contact has 2 numbers, a home phone (not a Qik capable number) and his mobile number second. You will have to change the top number to the mobile number and change one of the lower numbers to that home number.

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
i see the evo advertising you can stream live to the web. how the heck do you do it? (i'm assuming the epic can since it also has qik).

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Found out you can't re sort the order, but you can edit the numbers, i.e. Let's say a contact has 2 numbers, a home phone (not a Qik capable number) and his mobile number second. You will have to change the top number to the mobile number and change one of the lower numbers to that home number.

I've been having problems also connecting through Qik also. My wife and I got these phones partly for the videochat feature as I travel a lot for work and am gone for weeks at a time often.

If I open Qik, select Video Chat, scroll to her contact and click call, it won't connect. With the tip above, I just verified that the first number is indeed her cell phone, and it is. The only way I can connect to anyone is to enter their Qik log-in in the "Search/Call" box and click call.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Smashclash, The EVO ad is portraying QIK, but it is using special effects to show the streaming video. It doesn't look that slick in reality, but it does work.

ALSO, forgot to mention...it works like a Walkie Talkie. When YOU call someone, only you can talk initially, when the CALLED person wants to talk they have to push a Microphone icon to talk, and so on. Fring (another video chat app) doesn't have the walkie talkie feature but has its own issues. Read this article on both: HTC Evo 4G Video Chat Face-Off: Fring vs. Qik

SirPhoenix

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Qik also seems to be very picky about the format of the phone number. When you sign into Qik via the handset, the website grabs your phone number, and it is stored in your Qik profile in the following format

+13159999999

When you open the Qik app on your phone, you will notice that Qik takes out all your dashes so 315-999-9999 becomes 3159999999. In the Qik app, take a look at the phone number of the person you are trying to video chat with. If it does not dispaly in the +13159999999 format, then the call won't go through. Add a +1 to the number and you should be golden. Double check the format of the number in Qik just to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969