- 35 Posts
- 11-06-2010, 01:13 PM #2Awesome Possum
- 726 Posts
- AOSP JB/CM9
I definitely agree with the Froyo ASAP. TW isn't as important to me because I made the switch to LP+, but not because I didnt like TW I just enjoy the ability to customize. I agree with the bigger battery also.
-I have become so proficient with swipe that I never use the actual keyboard so maybe a version of the Epic without one? Also I think somehow swype/soft keyboard should be sized differently when used in landscape, I hate that it covers everything up.
-the $10 charge for 4g should be optional, why am I paying for something that isn't available to me...I'll be happy to pay that when it is though.
I am completely satisfied with my phone though, those are just my opinions on possible improvements.
- 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM #3
- 1,001 Posts
- Just Rooted, stock Rom
+1 on froyo ... there phones that are coming out with it already installed...
tws 3.0 or better ... the battery is big enought... at the most 1700 to 1800
as long as it would fit in the same space. you can get and aftermarket one... better battery usage from the phone. im getting 10+ hours or more a day and phone has about 30% left but im a lite user.
the 10 charge is sort of a pain if theres no service or plans for it where you live . In that instence I would agree that you should not pay for something your never getting... But the monies collected now goes to future towers and improving 4g service so I dont mind paying my 10...
- 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM #4
- 11-07-2010, 12:56 PM #5
- 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM #6
JK, you put 4'3 and that means 4 feet. i do a lot of architecture/engineering drawings on autocad so that is a big deal for us when drawing - the difference between ' and "
anyways, i understand that they cant put froyo on everything right away. i think samsung was too busy with too many phones to put froyo on the epic. not to mention the phones that came out before the epic would get pissed and samsung is not primarily a phone company.
but i do wish it had froyo right away.
i get about 10+ hours with pretty good/hefty usage. so the battery is not a big deal for me. i probably would not change it because the phone is already pretty big and a bigger battery would give it extra bulk. almost to the point where it could be make or break for some people. afterall it is already bigger than the evo and droid x.
lastly, the 10$ fee is lame and i would prefer not to pay it if we had the option. but in comparison we are paying less than most phone companies. we also get UNLIMITED 4G (when we get it) AND 3G data. that to me is a big plus. so id rather pay the extra ten bucks and continue to get unlimited data when 4g hits my area then pay 69.99 now and then get ****ed and pay tiered pricing.
one thing i would change though is possibly LTE instead of WIMAX. i say possibly because idk if WIMAX or LTE would kill your battery faster with full reception.EPIC 4G
ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
- 11-07-2010, 01:47 PM #7
random thoughts ... I would change the basic annoyances... like having to press the one little tiny power button to wake up the phone... any button as a option will be nice...
Battery but I know current phone battery tech has been eclipsed by increasingly power hungry phones...
Froyo, of course, as it sucks that the new budget phones have it better than the supposed high end..
More onboard memory to match the other Galaxy phones...
A different charging option than just the usb so we can have a real dock and not have to worry about wearing out the usb.. I charge mine like 3 times more than I charge my bb..
- 11-07-2010, 05:08 PM #8
- 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM #9
- 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM #10
Forgot to mention the top power button. Can't understand why they put it where they did. I think It must have something to do with the front camera placement. Now, if we had that 4' screen, it wouldn't be an issue. Finding a holster on the other hand...........Joe-KC2UUZ
Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on....Sprint
- 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM #11
but i totally agree with the person that said having a special dock or charger.
like the nexus one. except itd have to be better than theirs because i heard it falls out fairly easily.
but the power button is a minor annoyance. i actually got used to it extremely fast coming from an iphone. im actually more glad they put it there than right on top in the middle like the droid x. idk if its the way i hold my phone but when i use my friends it just seems out of place.EPIC 4G
ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
- 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM #12
I'm amazed that no one has listed my personal pet peeves with this device.
1. GPS that actually locks. I could never get it to lock twice in one power cycle until I did the "cold start" hack enabling me to lock within 60sec or so. Still pathetic compared to my friends with iPhones locking in 5sec standing right next to me.
2. Faster charging time: my phone charges at about 20% an hour...about 1/3 the speed of my girls iPhone.
3. Better widow antenna: I get terrible wifi reception compared to my palm pre and iPod touch 1g.
4. Battery life: now with juice defender I can get through a day... barely, but compared to my old Treo, battery life is terrible. I'd love to have a *really* dim screen mode for usage at night.
5. Better network radio management: sure I can put the phone in airplane mode or turn off wireless sync altogether but I've notices that all the apparel I've tried to manage background data or measure it don't work on samsung epics. They usually report zero network usage even while on 4g. Grrrr ... that's not really a phone issue, more a nonstandard samsung API issue.
6. Hardware switch for silent/vibrate mode. Ok most android phones don't have this. But I really miss it from my treo and palm pre. Having to unlock the phone and press the rocker switch or a launcher widget to change modes is a pain. I could switch those other phones I mentioned without taking them out of my pocket.
That's about it. Dig the screen!
That's about it. I dig the screen and the form factor.
- 11-09-2010, 12:55 AM #13
- 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM #14
- 133 Posts
- Add a kickstand!!
- Higher resolution screen (at least 300dpi)
- Bigger screen (4.3 - 4.5)
- Full touchwiz 3.0 features (although it looks like we may get it in Froyo)
- Use that soft touch matte finish which was used on the back of the phone also on the front bezel (makes a better grip and probably would be easier to slide out the keyboard because of it)
- At least 768mb of RAM
- At least 8mb of internal storage
- Tv out via 3.5mm headset jack and hdmi out
- Better video chat integration
- Better Gps
Other than these few minor details, Id keep it pretty close to where it is at now. I love it still.
Last edited by Eazail70x7; 11-09-2010 at 07:20 PM.