Supposedly Froyo on the Epic 4G

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
epic-froyo.png

I know, I know. About screens can be faked in about 30 seconds. But I also know how excited everyone is for this, so so I share.

via Twitter

Reactions: ragnarokx

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
There were very credible reports at xda about 24 hours ago of an official but closely held beta of Froyo on Epic, firmware version DJ29. Those who have tried it say it has problems, so it does not seem likely that this will be a final release. That's why they call it testing.

wiltonmanorsx

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It is a like a Bigfoot photo. Blurry, but it supposedly shows you what you want to see.

I'm patiently waiting for Froyo. I'm hoping it isn't going to be a wait that lasts until late 2011 though.

WildmanRuss

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S Support has maintained that all Galaxy S phones would have Froyo, including the Epic, by the end of the year. When you view their tweets at Twitter I am sure you will see this consistent message.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S Support has maintained that all Galaxy S phones would have Froyo, including the Epic, by the end of the year. When you view their tweets at Twitter I am sure you will see this consistent message.

Based on that consistent official line, I have always been conservative in my own expectations. But just today, based on leaked information at xda that is credible to me, it seems the current target may be a bit sooner: staggered rollouts for U.S. carriers from mid-November through the end of the month, with Sprint coming last on Nov. 29.

Because of the source, a longtime xda member who happens to be a Sprint retail employee, I think that schedule is believable as a target. The caveat I would add is that schedules can always slip. For example, the Epic beta of Froyo that leaked at xda two days ago was reportedly not stable, implying that it was not likely to be the final version. The schedule could slip some and still meet Samsung's announced target of the end of 2010. However, obviously the manufacturer would want to get this out in time for holiday shopping.

As a customer I am less concerned with Samsung's profits than I am with quality of the product. So I hope the firmware is stable, and that Samsung and Sprint will bundle some GPS fix into the release. Based on early reports about the beta, I am cautiously optimistic about that, too. Samsung has certainly had more than enough time to fix the GPS issues, and a fix needs to be bundled in the next release.

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

i understand your post - but they are talking about a final official release.
that is completely different from a leaked build.
also devs are working on porting it over. check out noobnls work on xda

also i saw this too in a tweet by nullghost who from my understanding plays a big part in the epic development scene.

im gonna go apply at a sprint store in the near future. wish me luck haha

Shiggitay

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I owned a Pre before this, Im used to waiting :)

Haha Same here. I had a Pre then went 'Droid for more apps that I wanted. Plus, I was due for an upgrade.

I'm with everyone here that's impatient with Froyo's delay for the Epic 4G... but as for me I'll wait for Froyo to be perfect on the Epic. I'm not installing any leaked build.

crabjoe

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
As a customer I am less concerned with Samsung's profits than I am with quality of the product. So I hope the firmware is stable, and that Samsung and Sprint will bundle some GPS fix into the release. Based on early reports about the beta, I am cautiously optimistic about that, too. Samsung has certainly had more than enough time to fix the GPS issues, and a fix needs to be bundled in the next release.

I hope I'm wrong on this but I don't think Samsung can fix the GPS with any software at this point. I say this because the the International Galaxy S, which started getting Froyo last week, still has GPS problems w/Froyo. I think the only fix Samsung has with the Epic Froyo release will be the removal of the hard coded 30m accuracy.

BTW, being all the Galaxy S variants (CDMA/GSM) seems to have GPS issues makes me believe that the GPS problem lies with the antenna in some way. I say this because the GSM version uses a different chip for GPS versus the CDMA version, but they both still have GPS bugs... Out side of the antenna, what else might they have in common with each other if they're using different chips? It sure can't be the GPS driver because they're different chips and software to read the GPS data can't be hard to write since GPS has been around for over a decade to the general public. Not only that, not everyone's GPS is broken to the point where it's not usable at all; some even work eough to use it for navigation in a car. Some just puts the user a block or more away from their true location and others can't pick up a sat to save their life. If it was software, people would be having the same problem, but if the GPS antenna is marginal, it explains everything.