Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    SyndicateROM

Default samsung offical 2.2 update 2night

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/52521-samsung-galaxy-s-finally-gets-its-turn-with-android-22
    Last edited by txtmikhail; 11-15-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by txtmikhail View Post
    http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/52521-samsung-galaxy-s-finally-gets-its-turn-with-android-22
    This is an insult to journalism. He doesn't even mention his source in any way....

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    This is an insult to journalism. He doesn't even mention his source in any way....
    Agree.

But Sprint is just as shameful. In Sprint's world, there is no need actually to provide updatged firmware. Just say that you do:

• Brilliant 4" AMOLED touchscreen
    • Full slide-out QWERTY keyboard
    • Rent or buy 1,000s of movies and TV shows from the Samsung Media Hub
    • Android 2.2 OS and access to over 100,000 apps
    • Exclusively from Sprint

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boomerbubba View Post
    Agree.

But Sprint is just as shameful. In Sprint's world, there is no need actually to provide updatged firmware. Just say that you do:
    Perhaps this is a sign of an immenent update? I don't believe they have always advertised the Epic with 2.2. The screen where you would buy the phone online still says 2.1.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TouchWiz

Hopefully this is correct, with the recent leak of Froyo, seems plausible...
    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    ROM
    Official EB13 Rooted

Must be referring to the Korean update ReadWriteWeb is reporting.

Samsung has pretty consistently said Froyo will be out for all Galaxy S users by the end of the year ... I'd love to see it today for Sprint but it feels highly unlikely ... but here is my question ... if a "stable" froyo ROM for the Epic becomes available, does anyone here feel it would be worth their time to flash it on to their device? With an update coming down the pipe shortly?

So, was it just Korean and Vodafone users who got the update? I don't see anything on the Samsung page about updating or on their Twitter feeds. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by whatev View Post
    Samsung has pretty consistently said Froyo will be out for all Galaxy S users by the end of the year ... I'd love to see it today for Sprint but it feels highly unlikely ... but here is my question ... if a "stable" froyo ROM for the Epic becomes available, does anyone here feel it would be worth their time to flash it on to their device? With an update coming down the pipe shortly?
    of course. im probably never going to go back to a stock rom.
    the evo has plenty of 2.2 roms that kick the stock versions ****. the epic soon will too. once 2.2 is out, cyanogen should be on the epic.

and to the person above me, the us 2.2 update has not begun any pushing yet. and i dont think it will until later this month and early next month.

only the uk version has gotten updated
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

Thanked by:

and i hope this is true.

hopefully someone will post back at 8 with a link and if its real or not. ill be checking back!
    EPIC 4G
    ROM: QUANTUM 2.O
    KERNEL: STOCK

No replies yet... Not real?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

My money's on early December. Who'd want to deal with overseeing the release of Froyo right before Black Friday? I'd want to see how the Galaxy S does in Europe and on the Tab (consider these purchasers my beta testers) and then I release 2.2 in the US.

I'd like them to bring it to us sooner than later and allow for tweeking while I have it; Ginger bread is right around the corner my friend.... I wonder if we get that.

Quote Originally Posted by scheets973 View Post
    I'd like them to bring it to us sooner than later and allow for tweeking while I have it; Ginger bread is right around the corner my friend.... I wonder if we get that.
    I bet we won't get Gingerbread from Samsung/Sprint. But we will get it thru dev.

I bet we won't get Gingerbread from Samsung/Sprint.
    That depends largely on the hardware driving that Nexus S. If the rest of the Galaxy S can easily run 2.3 then I see no reason Samsung wouldn't roll out an eventual update- but yes- it may be very late for them to do so.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

We'll get Gingerbread. Google and Samsung are partnering up, and all Samsung phones will be on the fast track soon

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    That depends largely on the hardware driving that Nexus S. If the rest of the Galaxy S can easily run 2.3 then I see no reason Samsung wouldn't roll out an eventual update- but yes- it may be very late for them to do so.
    No reason? I will give you 3 reasons.

1. It costs a lot of money for Samsung/Sprint to update firmware, even if the hardware can support it.

2. If you have followed Samsung past track record, they are not very good with updating firmware.

3. It's Samsung's best short term interest not to update galaxy S to 2.3. They want us to get new phones.

Quote Originally Posted by shaundizzle View Post
    hopefully someone will post back at 8 with a link and if its real or not. ill be checking back!
    8:15pm in California and no 2.2

Sprint fixed the page to state "2.1" instead of "2.2":

Go Sprint

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

I don't understand what this has to do with the epic 4g.

We are waiting for the Epic to updated to Android version 2.2.

Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    No reason? I will give you 3 reasons.

1. It costs a lot of money for Samsung/Sprint to update firmware, even if the hardware can support it.

2. If you have followed Samsung past track record, they are not very good with updating firmware.

3. It's Samsung's best short term interest not to update galaxy S to 2.3. They want us to get new phones.
    1. HTC seems to have grown quite a bit- they have no problem updating their phones.

2. Samsung is shaking their past by acting differently. NO ONE has released a phone across all 4 carriers in such a tight window like Samsung. NO ONE has gotten ALL 4 US carriers in the same room for an announcement like Samsung. They've done this on 1st the Galaxy S- THEN the TAB... I have a feeling the Nexus S MAY follow suit as well- and it may be for this very reason Google has decided to partner with Samsung in the 1st place- they may be the ONLY cell company with the deep pockets and manufacturing capability to pull this off.

Unlike Moto, HTC or others- Samsung makes most if not all of their components- shoot even the SD cards...puts them in a great position to be THE premier manufacturer of Android cell phones- and shaking their previous reputation (PRE GALAXY) appears to be just what they're setting out to do.

3. In some respects you may be right, and I did think about this possibility too- HOWEVER- many peoples' contract is 2 years- and Samsung if they're smart, are not interested in the short term. If they only support phones' OS for 12 months and leave people out to dry for another 12 in their contract before they can get an upgraded OS- they KNOW they may lose a customer to another brand. Sprint may not have as much competition among android devices like Verizon has- but Samsung must be looking at the complete picture.

I have little doubt that IF the technology supports it- Samsung will support the phone with an update- but if 2.3 or 2.4 or 3.0 REQUIRE a dual core or other hardware mandated feature - then obviously the older phones will have to be left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    1. HTC seems to have grown quite a bit- they have no problem updating their phones.

2. Samsung is shaking their past by acting differently. NO ONE has released a phone across all 4 carriers in such a tight window like Samsung. NO ONE has gotten ALL 4 US carriers in the same room for an announcement like Samsung. They've done this on 1st the Galaxy S- THEN the TAB... I have a feeling the Nexus S MAY follow suit as well- and it may be for this very reason Google has decided to partner with Samsung in the 1st place- they may be the ONLY cell company with the deep pockets and manufacturing capability to pull this off.

Unlike Moto, HTC or others- Samsung makes most if not all of their components- shoot even the SD cards...puts them in a great position to be THE premier manufacturer of Android cell phones- and shaking their previous reputation (PRE GALAXY) appears to be just what they're setting out to do.

3. In some respects you may be right, and I did think about this possibility too- HOWEVER- many peoples' contract is 2 years- and Samsung if they're smart, are not interested in the short term. If they only support phones' OS for 12 months and leave people out to dry for another 12 in their contract before they can get an upgraded OS- they KNOW they may lose a customer to another brand. Sprint may not have as much competition among android devices like Verizon has- but Samsung must be looking at the complete picture.

I have little doubt that IF the technology supports it- Samsung will support the phone with an update- but if 2.3 or 2.4 or 3.0 REQUIRE a dual core or other hardware mandated feature - then obviously the older phones will have to be left behind.
    As an Epic owner, I certainly hope that you are correct and I'm wrong.

But Samsung already lost my trust. In fact, when I bought it last month, I didn't expect updating beyond 2.2. Having used both 2.2 and 2.1 on my HTC Touch, I knew how great 2.2 is. So I'll be happy as long as we get 2.2.

As for 2.3, I hope that Nexus S shares similar hardware as Galaxy S so that it's easier to port 2.3 to Epic. I'm confident that may HTC developers will jump to Samsung Galaxy S.

I'm really getting sick of reading all of this news about Gingerbread 2.3 while we're STILL WAITING for Froyo 2.2 on Galaxy S devices here in the U.S. It's really, really, really starting to annoy me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast