Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gorilla glass??

I know the phone supposidly has gorilla glass but its not as good as what I thought. I had an evo for three weeks and traded it in for an epic. I love this phone but the glass scratches easier than the evo did. I am very careful with my phones very ocd about keeping them clean and in three wks the evo looked perfect. I cleaned my epic screen with my microfiber cloth and saw a couple scratches around the bottom buttons and a couple on the upper screen. Its not big scratches and can only see them in direct light but the screen isn't as good as I thought. Also what do you all clean your screens with? I have some spray I bought at best buy called iklean and it says its made for the ipad and iphone. I was using it for my evo but I don't know if I should with this screen. Thanks all.

man i havent scratched mine at all and i have had it since launch day with no protection.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by musclehead84 View Post
    Also what do you all clean your screens with?
    I clean mine with an old sock and a touch of warm water just to moisten it, then follow it up with a dry part of the same sock. Sometimes I'll do the same with a paper towel.

ROM
    Bonsai4All V3.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by kgbcapthowdy View Post
    man i havent scratched mine at all and i have had it since launch day with no protection.
    Same here. No problems.
    I clean mine with my ACU sleeve sometimes.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The iklean is fine for the screen.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I don't know how they got there I haven't dropped it or anything. I keep it in a pocket by itself and no one else uses it. Just me. I was actually surprised when I saw them. I can't even tell they are there it's just the fact. I hate to have scratches on my phone at all u know. Do u all use anything better than iklean cause it seems like when I use it it smears on the screen unless I'm using to much. Anything better that you all know about? Thanks

There was a post about someone keeping diamond earrings in the same pocket as their Epic and it got scratched up - any jewelry make contact with your phone?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yeah I think I read something like that. Nope no jewelry. The only thing that touches my screen other than my ear and finger is the microfiber cloth I clean it with. Anybody else have any problems with scratches? Hopefully there won't be anymore and I hate screen protectors.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

Obviously something had to scratch it. Afterall it didn't scratch itself. If you are so ocd why didn't you get a screen protector?

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

I use a microfiber cloth multiple times a day. The cloth was likely contaminated with some material that scratched the glass. Something abrasive obviously. Throw the cloth in with the wash. NO FABRIC SOFTENER! Then Line dry it. It'll be good as new. I Buy em from Harbor Freight, a pack of 6 for 3 or 4 bucks. Which reminds me I need more.....LOL.
    Joe-KC2UUZ
    Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on....Sprint

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

There was a huge debate about this over in the EVO forum. Most of these new phones have some type of scratch resistant glass, even if it's not actually "Gorilla Glass". They are not scratch PROOF though. There are the videos going around where people take things like knives and razor blades to their screen and it doesn't scratch, that's because the glass is harder than those items. There are plenty of items out there that are harder than the glass and will scratch your screen. Something as tiny as a grain of sand can cause serious scratches and can come in contact with your screen without you even knowing it.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Well here is how I damaged a pair of sunglasses once. I went to the beach and used a microfiber cloth while on the sand. When I used it the next day on a pair of sunglasses that I didn't take to the beach it scratched it up. A small amount of sand had blown onto the cloth a messed up my glasses. Could happen with a phone to.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

It had to be something on my microfiber cloth. I didn't even think of it. I'm washing them now. Like I said earlier I dint like screen protectors. I used one
    On my old phone and I hated the feel and it made the phones screen lag.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks for all of the tips. Definitely don't want to keep scratching it. Wow I didn't know a little piece of sand could do so much damage. I must have gotten something on it when I cleaned my phones screen outside the other day.

to clean mine i use my sleeve or jeans or maybe the couch or something like that. I dont abuse my phone by any means but thats how i clean it.

Gorilla glass was very important to me so I called both sprint and samsung.

That glass finish is optional and was not selected for USA

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post

so your saying these dont have gorilla glass?

Quote Originally Posted by kgbcapthowdy View Post
    Same here. I'm fairly careful, but don't use any protection and the phone's screen and body is in perfect shape.

I hear that earrings are notorious for scratching phones along with pocket change and keys, none of which ever get near my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    There was a post about someone keeping diamond earrings in the same pocket as their Epic and it got scratched up - any jewelry make contact with your phone?
    FYI, the diamond earring was acually on the person's ear and when using the phone to make calls is how the phone got scratched.... I've had my Epic for weeks noow andno scratches...
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

So the phones sent to the U S dont have gorilla glass? I saw on another thread someone said the same thing but I saw an article that said all galaxy s phones have it. Anybody know for sure?

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by musclehead84 View Post
    So the phones sent to the U S dont have gorilla glass? I saw on another thread someone said the same thing but I saw an article that said all galaxy s phones have it. Anybody know for sure?
    Well, i can't vouch from the technical aspect that it does for 100% certainty, but i know i, personally, took things to my epic in the first few weeks to try and scratch it but to no avail. For example, i used keys, unused staples, headphone plugs, coins, etc. and just various random things. Never took an actual knife or anything to it, though.

So from personal experience, i would say its a pretty safe bet the epic has gorilla glass.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eerongal View Post
    Well, i can't vouch from the technical aspect that it does for 100% certainty, but i know i, personally, took things to my epic in the first few weeks to try and scratch it but to no avail. For example, i used keys, unused staples, headphone plugs, coins, etc. and just various random things. Never took an actual knife or anything to it, though.

So from personal experience, i would say its a pretty safe bet the epic has gorilla glass.
    So you tried to scratch it on purpose? I find that to be really weird.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by eerongal View Post

Hmmm.. I don't really want to run the above 'test'... I keep mine safely in a holster just like every phone I have ever owned.. I have never scratched any phone screen ever.. So I guess I should get really pissed if this phone ever gets scratched...

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    So you tried to scratch it on purpose? I find that to be really weird.
    Yup. I wanted to see if it was really as scratch resistant as claimed. I started out lightly and gingerly, and near the edges (off the viewable bits of screen). As it resisted and thwarted my efforts, i got more aggressive with it until i gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by pcguys View Post

Samsung Epic 4G phones are all manufactured with Gorilla Glass.

If you look at the Corning site (the manufacturer of Gorilla Glass) they specifically list the Samsung Epic 4G as having Gorilla Glass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast