Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Samsung Epic or EVO??

I have a Samsung Epic and I have the opportunity to trade it for an Evo. I originally had the Evo since the day it came out but I was expecting the Epic to be err- "Epic" so I got one and its just not. Should I wait till after the update( whenever that comes) or go back to the Evo???

Go for the Evo imo its the better phone.

Evo after all its a trade. So you can still wait on your upgrade if you want something else. But the evo kills the epic.

Sent from my Evo 4G. using tapatalk

When the Evo was released I wanted it more than anything, but my upgrade was not until September. This was a blessing in disguise however, as the Epic was announced shortly after. I got the Epic on launch day as Sprint was nice enough to let me upgrade a day early.

The Epic's more brilliant SAMOLED screen, better processor and hardware keyboard are the reasons I went with the Epic. Some may prefer the larger size of the Evo's regular LCD and the absence of a hardware keyboard.

You really need to be more specific in your question to get any kind of usable feedback, as different things are important to different people.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

It's not an upgrade. Lets just say I have the opportunity to trade my Epic for (wink-wink) another Evo.

There have actually been numerous topics about Epic vs Evo. Look at this thread for more information.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Thank-you!

I upgraded about a month ago and got the evo. I had the phone for three weeks and traded it in for the epic. I'm so glad I did. The only thing I miss is android 2.2 but we will see that soon. The evo has wayb to many problems with light leakage and screen seperation. I know the epic has problems to but at least my screen isn't raising off. I never thought I could go down in size from the evo but the epics screen is so beautiful. Id say keep the epic, but that's my opinion.

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

I had an Evo for a few weeks and swapped it for an Epic. I am glad I did because I found the Evo screen to be virtually unusable outdoors. I also like having a hardware keyboard for long emails. Both are great phones but I would say go with the Epic.

i had the evo for 2 months and wouldnt go back. i love this phone. the gpu and processor is way better and the game gripper coming out soon to make it extra bad ***

I had the Evo for a few weeks and went with the Epic. Even without 2.2 I would not go back to the Evo.

Yeah, go Epic. Perhaps its just YOUR particular device that has some issues. I had an Evo for 3 months and I would never, ever go back. The Epic is in almost every way superior to the Evo.

-Better processor.
    -Can actually handle 3D graphics, including the upcoming unreal engine that the Qualcomm Adreno in the Evo cannot handle one bit. I remember playing entire levels of NOVA without a single scene being lag-free on Evo. I have experienced ZERO lag on 3D games with Epic.
    -Gorilla Glass, which I have found to be very strong.
    -AMOLED screen, awesome stuff here. The Evo has no comparison to this.
    -Better camera and Video Camera. Don't let megapixels fool you. The Evo camera is horrible. The camera on the Epic can take pictures and videos just as good as an iPhone, if not better. This is another one of those "there is no comparison" places. The Evo camera truly SUCKS compared to the Epic's.
    - Touch screen is much more responsive. The Evo seems to lag. The Epic has an excellent touch screen that responds immediately to your finger.
    - It works faster. Maybe this can change from device to device, but every Evo I have tried, including the one I had for three months, pales in speed comparison.
    - Music sounds better on the Epic for some reason. I have had friends listen to both and they agree. Don't really know why.
    - Media Hub is awesome. Especially with Sprint's $50 credit.
    - Comes with 16GB of memory instead of Evo's 8GB

This isn't to say that Evo is not a good device. Here is what I like better about Evo:

- Better FRONT FACING camera. The back camera doesn't compare to the Epic's, but the front camera is marginally better.
    - HTC Sense is awesome. It does make a lot of difference. I miss it quite a bit.
    - The kickstand. One of those little things that I used a lot.
    - Thinner form factor, better feeling in your hand.
    - I experienced faster hotspot speeds on the Evo for some reason. My average on the Epic is about 1.3mbps, while on the Evo I consistently saw over 2Mbps. Again, don't know why.

Lets just say it this way: I have wanted an iPhone since 2007 very badly, but refuse to go with AT&T. Had the Pre, had the hero, had the Evo and still wanted an iPhone because I thought it was a much better device. Now that I have a samsung Epic, the iPhone is just another one of those "meh" phones. I no longer desire it.

Hope it helps.
    Thanked by:
    Tirron 

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    ROM
    SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2

The Epic has the better screen quality (not size), a good keyboard (like mentioned above will be awesome with a game gripper), lighter, a much better gpu, essentially if it's hardware the Epic is better.

However, the Evo has more root support by what I've seen (not that the Epic's support is bad, there's just less because less epics have been sold), and currently looks to have better support from the manufacture (Evo received froyo in a much faster time frame than the Epic), and some argue that the Evo is more durable (which is not proven either way, nor is it likely to be proven for another year).

That said I went with the Epic because I wanted the better gpu and the hard keyboard. *edit* Just read estebancam post above and had to mention that I checked out both phones side by side in person and the epic just felt a lot better, as in smoother and everything. Neither phone had any additional apps from each other and both were just restarted. *end edit* Just look at the two real close and decide what is most important to you.

Tirron.

(p.s. the other reason I went with epic is look at the helpfulness of the pro-epic people in this post vs. the pro-evo people)
    Last edited by Tirron; 11-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Global Posts
    10,566 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Based on personal experience with both devices, the evo. The epic is no joke, and its keyboard is good for a slider. That samoled screen is nice. I prefer virtual keyboards (swype only)

Had the EVO went to the EPIC....screen EPIC.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Just switched to Epic from an Evo. Since I don't miss the Evo, I would say the Epic wins. They are both great phones, you really can't go wrong with either. It comes done to what you prefer. If you are thinking about the Evo, it's probably the one for you.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    ROM
    None yet

I was initially going for the Evo, but it was sold out for months. One of the salespeople at Best Buy said I should wait for the Epic since he said the screen was better, it had a faster processor and better battery life. I took him for his word and waited until Epic launch day. I bought the Epic and have zero regrets. Not to say that the Evo is a bad phone or anything. It’s awesome in its own right.

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either phone. I think they’re the top two Android phones on the market at the moment. With the Evo, you get the bigger screen, much better Rom/hacking support and kickstand. With the Epic, you get the physical keyboard, brighter screen, faster processor and better battery life.

ROM
    CM09/2.6.35.7

My friend got Evo and I was thinking about the same thing. I called Sprint to inquire about the change (becuase I was switching over from Verizon) and they told me if I could wait for a couple of months it would be better because they're coming out with this bad-*** phone by Samsung called Epic. And I did - I waited the couple of months. I'm glad I did. It's the nicest phone I've ever owned. Also, it's rated #1 per PC World.

But, like everyone else mentions it's a personal choice.

I had an apportunity to test drive both devices before I made my decision, I went Epic.

based on a few factors:
    - The screen is much better.
    - The keyboard is Bowser
    - Especially for playing Gameboid, SNESoid, etc.
    - Lighter & smaller (for the workouts)

The one big con for me was the camera ... it's much better on the Evo.

It's the top rated android phone on CNET, too.

Quote Originally Posted by whatev View Post
    I had an apportunity to test drive both devices before I made my decision, I went Epic.

based on a few factors:
    - The screen is much better.
    - The keyboard is Bowser
    - Especially for playing Gameboid, SNESoid, etc.
    - Lighter & smaller (for the workouts)

The one big con for me was the camera ... it's much better on the Evo.

It's the top rated android phone on CNET, too.
    Double, triple, and quadruple check the camera on the devices. I had the Evo for a while (3 months or so), and the camera on the Evo DOES NOT COMPARE to that of the Epic. Epic is much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Double, triple, and quadruple check the camera on the devices. I had the Evo for a while (3 months or so), and the camera on the Evo DOES NOT COMPARE to that of the Epic. Epic is much, much better.
    Interesting, really? I've had stabilization problems on the Epic ... my pics are often blurry.