How to Lock/secure SD card??

cocochannelle

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Guys is there a way to lock the SD card so that if it's used with another phone or plugged on a computer with a card reader that it must require a password. EDIT: I have stuff saved on my SD card that I would not want seen by others if my phone is lost/stolen.

(Please keep thing PG in this forum.

Thanks
-Brett)

Last edited by a moderator:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Guys is there a way to lock the SD card so that if it's used with another phone or plugged on a computer with a card reader that it must require a password. I have many xxx picx and videos of myself and partners and I am a celebrity so I wouldnt want that to be leaked in case I lose my phone

Since the second sentence is irrelevant to the topic/question of this post, I'm going to remind everyone in advance to stay on topic. Thanks.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Guys is there a way to lock the SD card so that if it's used with another phone or plugged on a computer with a card reader that it must require a password. I have many xxx picx and videos of myself and partners and I am a celebrity so I wouldnt want that to be leaked in case I lose my phone

You could password protect and encrypt it with third party programs, but i have no idea if it would work with your phone afterwards. Other than that, there's no way to do what you're wanting that I'm aware of.

Best advice to you would be to remove sensitive material from your SD card and put them somewhere secure (home desktop/back up system or whatever). Other than that, you have to decide if its worth the risk keeping it on your device.

Edit: did some quick internet searches and ran across this - Tasker. It's an app that lets you encrypt/decrypt files and password protect apps. I dont have any experience with it, anyone else ever use it? It might be able to do what you want. Encrypt your images/videos and password protect the gallery app when it launches, if this app can indeed do that.

cocochannelle

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
You could password protect and encrypt it with third party programs, but i have no idea if it would work with your phone afterwards. Other than that, there's no way to do what you're wanting that I'm aware of.

Best advice to you would be to remove sensitive material from your SD card and put them somewhere secure (home desktop/back up system or whatever). Other than that, you have to decide if its worth the risk keeping it on your device.

Edit: did some quick internet searches and ran across this - Tasker. It's an app that lets you encrypt/decrypt files and password protect apps. I dont have any experience with it, anyone else ever use it? It might be able to do what you want. Encrypt your images/videos and password protect the gallery app when it launches, if this app can indeed do that.

Thanks, Is that really the BEST option out there? ANyone else having the same worries as mine?

stashu11

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I've thought about that too. I'm not a celebrity, but I do have "stuff" on my SD card I don't want others to see. The Palm Pre was nice because it didn't have any removable storage. One thing I've considered with my Droid is to Super Glue the SD card in place, so it would be destroyed if it was removed. I think I would replace the current card with a 32 mb one, so I would never run out of space. My idea for gluing it into place is that I can still access it through my computer, and use the phone lock in. If my phone is lost/stolen, a person would have to unlock the phone to see anything, and would not be able to remove the SD card.

It's just an idea.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
My idea for gluing it into place is that I can still access it through my computer, and use the phone lock in. If my phone is lost/stolen, a person would have to unlock the phone to see anything, and would not be able to remove the SD card.

It's just an idea.

Someone can just RELOAD/RESET the OS, which will not harm the data on SD so that will kinda be pointless, good old fashioned responsibilty works best lol...

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Since the second sentence is irrelevant to the topic/question of this post, I'm going to remind everyone in advance to stay on topic. Thanks.

I would have to agree with it being irrelevant as well as inappropriate for all for all members.

fixed it

Exiled44

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking into this & iI have found no real way to PW protect the SD card. However I have found a app i have been using on my Evo that if i ever loose my phone i can wipe the phone & SD card right from my computer, along with locking it,making it scream & get its location. I have tried everything but the wipe witch i am actually going to try soon but everything else works great. The app cost me $1.00 at the time i bought it. Check it out http://www.seekdroid.com/
Hope this helps you out. I am going to write Lookout mobile security & see if they can make a option in their app to PW protect the SD card.

REEG14

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!! someone stole my phn last night and i have very personal things on my sd card! i dnt care abt the phn i just want my info on my sd card erase n not in the wrong hands! my service was with verizon the said it was nothing they could do but im sure theres some kind of action i can take to erase my sd card....any one know??:(