Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to Lock/secure SD card??

Guys is there a way to lock the SD card so that if it's used with another phone or plugged on a computer with a card reader that it must require a password. EDIT: I have stuff saved on my SD card that I would not want seen by others if my phone is lost/stolen.

(Please keep thing PG in this forum.

Thanks
    -Brett)
    Last edited by Brett; 11-20-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: was not appropriate for all members

Quote Originally Posted by cocochannelle View Post
    Guys is there a way to lock the SD card so that if it's used with another phone or plugged on a computer with a card reader that it must require a password. I have many xxx picx and videos of myself and partners and I am a celebrity so I wouldnt want that to be leaked in case I lose my phone
    Since the second sentence is irrelevant to the topic/question of this post, I'm going to remind everyone in advance to stay on topic. Thanks.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Guys is there a way to lock the SD card so that if it's used with another phone or plugged on a computer with a card reader that it must require a password. I have many xxx picx and videos of myself and partners and I am a celebrity so I wouldnt want that to be leaked in case I lose my phone
    You could password protect and encrypt it with third party programs, but i have no idea if it would work with your phone afterwards. Other than that, there's no way to do what you're wanting that I'm aware of.

Best advice to you would be to remove sensitive material from your SD card and put them somewhere secure (home desktop/back up system or whatever). Other than that, you have to decide if its worth the risk keeping it on your device.

Edit: did some quick internet searches and ran across this - Tasker. It's an app that lets you encrypt/decrypt files and password protect apps. I dont have any experience with it, anyone else ever use it? It might be able to do what you want. Encrypt your images/videos and password protect the gallery app when it launches, if this app can indeed do that.

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts

Get a windows phone 7 device for that feature.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by eerongal View Post
    You could password protect and encrypt it with third party programs, but i have no idea if it would work with your phone afterwards. Other than that, there's no way to do what you're wanting that I'm aware of.

Best advice to you would be to remove sensitive material from your SD card and put them somewhere secure (home desktop/back up system or whatever). Other than that, you have to decide if its worth the risk keeping it on your device.

Edit: did some quick internet searches and ran across this - Tasker. It's an app that lets you encrypt/decrypt files and password protect apps. I dont have any experience with it, anyone else ever use it? It might be able to do what you want. Encrypt your images/videos and password protect the gallery app when it launches, if this app can indeed do that.
    Thanks, Is that really the BEST option out there? ANyone else having the same worries as mine?
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Thanks, Is that really the BEST option out there? ANyone else having the same worries as mine?
    SO tru! I agree but hey its not been developed yet I hope it comes soon asked this same question months ago I guess its not a concern in society yet L(

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

I've thought about that too. I'm not a celebrity, but I do have "stuff" on my SD card I don't want others to see. The Palm Pre was nice because it didn't have any removable storage. One thing I've considered with my Droid is to Super Glue the SD card in place, so it would be destroyed if it was removed. I think I would replace the current card with a 32 mb one, so I would never run out of space. My idea for gluing it into place is that I can still access it through my computer, and use the phone lock in. If my phone is lost/stolen, a person would have to unlock the phone to see anything, and would not be able to remove the SD card.

It's just an idea.

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Stashu11 View Post
    My idea for gluing it into place is that I can still access it through my computer, and use the phone lock in. If my phone is lost/stolen, a person would have to unlock the phone to see anything, and would not be able to remove the SD card.

It's just an idea.
    Someone can just RELOAD/RESET the OS, which will not harm the data on SD so that will kinda be pointless, good old fashioned responsibilty works best lol...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Since the second sentence is irrelevant to the topic/question of this post, I'm going to remind everyone in advance to stay on topic. Thanks.
    I would have to agree with it being irrelevant as well as inappropriate for all for all members.

fixed it

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I have been looking into this & iI have found no real way to PW protect the SD card. However I have found a app i have been using on my Evo that if i ever loose my phone i can wipe the phone & SD card right from my computer, along with locking it,making it scream & get its location. I have tried everything but the wipe witch i am actually going to try soon but everything else works great. The app cost me $1.00 at the time i bought it. Check it out http://www.seekdroid.com/
    Hope this helps you out. I am going to write Lookout mobile security & see if they can make a option in their app to PW protect the SD card.
    Storm > Storm 2 > Moto Droid > Droid Eris > Droid X

Default Re: How to Lock/secure SD card??

@ragnarokx you are such a stupid smart mouth b i t c h and the second sentence was not irrelevant at all. did you just learn that word or something?

@mike340t he is being responsible dumb a s s , that's why he's asking this question. what is wrong with all you assholes?

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!! someone stole my phn last night and i have very personal things on my sd card! i dnt care abt the phn i just want my info on my sd card erase n not in the wrong hands! my service was with verizon the said it was nothing they could do but im sure theres some kind of action i can take to erase my sd card....any one know??