Destroyed Epic: Download and Restore

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
First off, check out what I did to my brand spanking new Epic over the weekend:

379bll.jpg

So the part that holds the SD card and battery is intact ... only the screen was destroyed. So what I'd like to try to do is backup the software, then flash it on to my new device ... instead of going through the pain of re-downloading and configuring all my apps.

Anyone have any advice on where to start and if this will even work?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like re-downloading and configuring your apps would be a lot faster/easier. Unless you didn't mention some sort of other data you need off the phone. I put all my apps and data back manually every time I flash a new ROM.

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
It sounds like re-downloading and configuring your apps would be a lot faster/easier. Unless you didn't mention some sort of other data you need off the phone. I put all my apps and data back manually every time I flash a new ROM.

No, I have the SD card intact so I have all my super important app data. Was just hoping it might be easier to do it the other way.

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
Wow what happened?

I was running on a treadmill and somehow yanked it right out of my pocket (at this point time began moving in slow motion) ... it fell onto the tread and popped open ... as it started traveling backwards the screen caught on the corner right where the tread starts to go under the machine ... the tread kept trying to force it by until the screen just popped ... I nearly cried I'd only had it for like 2 weeks.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I was running on a treadmill and somehow yanked it right out of my pocket (at this point time began moving in slow motion) ... it fell onto the tread and popped open ... as it started traveling backwards the screen caught on the corner right where the tread starts to go under the machine ... the tread kept trying to force it by until the screen just popped ... I nearly cried I'd only had it for like 2 weeks.

That sucks. You prob couldn't make that happen again no matter how hard you tried. Makes me cringe to see an Epic in that shape Hope you had insurance and are able to backup and restore your stuff easy enough.

If you do have insurance and submit a claim, I would kill to see the Sprint Store guy's face when you bring that in.

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
That sucks. You prob couldn't make that happen again no matter how hard you tried. Makes me cringe to see an Epic in that shape Hope you had insurance and are able to backup and restore your stuff easy enough.

If you do have insurance and submit a claim, I would kill to see the Sprint Store guy's face when you bring that in.

Yeah it was pretty priceless the entire store staff was like WTF.

I did have insurance thank God ... I came up and said yeah I slightly damaged my phone and want to make an insurance claim ... then pulled out the bag full of the remaining pieces of my phone.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
no advice for that..but here's a tip..try bluetooth headphones. No wires to get snagged. You can rest your phone in the little water bottle holders or have it in ya bag next to you or something..seeing that pic makes my stomach turn and my heart ache. Oh, one other thing, when you get your new device try an app like MyBackup or something like that. as long as you have your SD card intact you will be straight...just for future reference..
Good luck

dehydorn#CB

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
believe it or not thats actually repairable, you might just have to hit a few Sprint repair places to find one with all the parts... if you plead the importance of the contents of the phone they can pull the motherboard and replace any other broken parts... assuming they have them. I know the repair centers arent being pushed Epic parts yet so they would have to have some harvested ones.

dehydorn#CB

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Well since im a tier II tech, I have 2 responses. 1 call Asurion. Or hope you were rooted with rom manager installed and an intact SD card. Wow.

evidently dont go to the store he works at lol

but in all seriousness he is right... is it repairable? yes in a perfect world. but I cant imagine anything you have on it (data, settings, or tweaks) is worth having a frankenstein'd Epic...

start new and and do regular back ups

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
Well since im a tier II tech, I have 2 responses. 1 call Asurion. Or hope you were rooted with rom manager installed and an intact SD card. Wow.

I've already received my replacement from Asurion. They were really great to work with.

At this point I think I'm just going to start from scratch, I've got my SD card still so I'll just have to download the apps again ... if I could freaking get my phone to access my Google account ... I have a freaking appointment w/Sprint today to hopefully resolve. Ug.

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
no advice for that..but here's a tip..try bluetooth headphones. No wires to get snagged. You can rest your phone in the little water bottle holders or have it in ya bag next to you or something..seeing that pic makes my stomach turn and my heart ache. Oh, one other thing, when you get your new device try an app like MyBackup or something like that. as long as you have your SD card intact you will be straight...just for future reference..
Good luck

I'm thinking about this, it would be very convenient.

oron50

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My recommendation is to use Appbrain from the beginning. It will keep your phone and it's web server syncronized. If you ever need to hard reset or replace your phone, , just re-install Appbrain 1st thing , and then sign in and resynce, and all of your apps are put into queue to download and install.

I took maybe 15-20 minutes to reinstall 90+ apps --as opposed to days manually searching on Market and installing one at a time.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I hope all your contacts and calendar info were saved under your google profile that the phones.

That way at least you can access that from any Google portal.

One reason I do not use my Phone for music at the Gym, too much potential for damage. Sansa Clip.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude