Screen won't turn on after finishing a call

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok, my wife's Epic 4G is having a strange issue where the screen won't turn on after she finishes a call. Normally only happens when the call goes to voice mail and of course it doesn't happen all the time. I wiped the phone and that didn't do anything. Anyone have any clues on what to check before I have a Sprint store look at it?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
What do you do when this happens? Turn off the phone, pull the battery?

Are you using Sprint voicemail or Google Voice vm?

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The issue happens when she gets someone elses voicemail. She is using the sprint vm app. And w e have to pull the battery, can't hang up and no button does anything.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
This is the first of this issue I've seen with the Epic, although I do know this has happened on other Android devices as well. If resets and/or powering down and restarting the device doesn't help, I'd say you might want to take it to Sprint even though instinctively I'm feeling it's a software issue (but it could be something else, stranger things have happened).

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't get many voice mail, but a few times that I did, the message always come much later than when left. Sometime a notification comes but nothing in actual queue. It's quirky for sure.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
That'd not the problem. The problem is that her screen doesn't always turn on after she leaves someone else a voicemail.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok, still doing it with FroYo. Going to the Sprint store Tuesday night (gonna suck since it means more time before I can play WoW Cataclysm) to get it looked at.

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you check your Display timeout settings, I had an app that would leave the screen on, but when I closed the app the screen would never timeout. Checked the display settings, and none of the timeouts where selected.

Selecting a new timeout value fixed the problem, but i would have to reset it after every use of the problem app.

EDIT: removed the offending app, Car Dock Home v3, uninstalled and the problem went away. :)

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, does it no matter what the timeout settings. Can't get Odin to see the phone either so something is wrong with it. Just no clue what or how to get 2.1 back on it so I can goto the store w/ it.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Do you have the Samsung drivers installed on your computer? Odin won't see it without those.

Yep, I do. Its had trouble being seen by any computer for a while now so I think something is fubar in the hardware. And its seen just fine when I plug my LG Optimus S in too.

Leon_Trout

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Heyo.

I saw this forum when I googled the same problem for my Incredible. The phone's screen would turn off when making a call and then if they did not pick up and I went to voicemail I would end up leaving long messages of pure cursing because there was no way for me to hang up or press any numbers. The screen was locked off. I though I'd have to go into Verizon... but eureka!

It was the case. I have an Otterbox (which I do not reccomend for reasons other than this). It has a clear plastic film over the top left sensor, the one that determines if your phone is by your ear. It seems that sometimes that sensor would recognize that clear cover as my head and immediately turn off the display once I hit send.

I have tried a few calls to my office phone with the case off and it seems to work fine. Then I tried dialing with the case off and my finger over the sensor and it would lock the screen off one I pushed send.

Don't know about Odin but if your wife has a case on her phone and it has a cover over that sensor then I bet that is the problem.

Matty-Mo

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
whenever i am dealing with dialing screens they always seem to lag more then any other screen whether it is switching back and forth to contacts or dialing or ending a call it just plain ole lags!